2. Classic
  3. iBook
  4. iMac
  5. Power Mac
  6. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Good Morning Y'all,

Since I upgraded to Sierra one of my OS X storage drives keeps telling me that it can not be repaired and needs to be replaced. I find it interesting that this started once I upgraded to MacOS. When I go into the Disk Utility it has a SMART verification and so I am not sure what to do...

i am currently backing up the drive just for safety (already had a backup, but you know...extras) and I am contemplating buying a new drive.

The drive is a WD Blue purchased in August of 14 and of course the warranty expired in July of this year...

Thanks.

One could occasionally find a 'few bad apples' even among well known models of Hard disks from Reputable manufacturers.
If in doubt, run Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows from Windows or SmartReporter software for Mac.

Yeah I am actually running Data Lifeguard Diagnostic now on all of my drives. Quick look says they are all fine but I am running an extended test on the two WD drives. It is just upsetting because this will be the second reformat of the drive in weeks and nothing says it is wrong. The only new aspect is the fact that I installed Sierra.

I have had my own share of " WD Blue" and "WD Green" one TB SATA HDDs "dying prematurely" on me , often, just after the "Warranty Period" ! These are "unboxed" [ Just the bare Drive in their foil pack and without any WD Disc or SATA cables] drives bought when price is low! A couple of times it was within the first few months of purchase and AMAZON was good enough to replace them when "RMAed". on time. I have not found any definite association with mac OS X of MacOS installation though; Windows , Linux and Hackintosh were all equal opportunity offenders and therefore I concluded that it was a problem with the manufacturing and Quality control of 'unboxed' ones.

That is exactly what these drives where...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back