i7 6700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
  2. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I have been running a Hackintosh for about 12 years and am now ready to switch back to a real Mac, probably a Mac Studio. I need a hard drive enclosure for my mechanical hard drives that are currently inside my Hack. I'm looking at this: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEQCTJB000/
When plugged in to a Mac Studio, will this enclosure give me the same or better transfer speeds as I'm used to in my Hack like for video editing and such? If not, are there other suggestions?
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5-TH if that matters.

The spec sheet shows a VL822 USB hub and four ASM235CM SATA-USB bridges. I would NOT expect the same performance from that as from four SATA drives directly attached to a genuine SATA controller (chipset).

If you do not keep "CustoMac Pro" as a hack, the obvious alternative is to turn the case and motherboard into a NAS with OpenMediaVault or TrueNAS. No extra purchase.
Edit If you have Thunderbolt bus working on the GA-Z170X-UD5-TH you may consider keeping it a hack just to share its drives through Thunderbolt, but I don't know how good macOS is at being used as a mere DAC appliance.

Last edited:
I have been running a Hackintosh for about 12 years and am now ready to switch back to a real Mac, probably a Mac Studio. I need a hard drive enclosure for my mechanical hard drives that are currently inside my Hack. I'm looking at this: https://eshop.macsales.com/item/OWC/MEQCTJB000/
When plugged in to a Mac Studio, will this enclosure give me the same or better transfer speeds as I'm used to in my Hack like for video editing and such? If not, are there other suggestions?
My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-UD5-TH if that matters.
You could spend the big cheese and get a Mac Pro then I think you could get all the internal drives you like that way. Or configure your studio with enough space for working and keep everything else on some kind of NAS as etorix suggests.

Back