Contribute
Register

Handbrake help: Subtitles on a ripped movie?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Z77-DS3H
CPU
i5 3570k
Graphics
on board graphics
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. PowerBook
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So I'm using handbrake and I've successfully ripped this movie, "City of God", but the film is entirely in Portuguese, and there are no subtitles on the finished m4v file. I have tried fiddling with the subtitles tab in handbrake and re-ripping the film, but still no subtitles. I even tried downloading a .srt file with the subtitles from subscene.com and importing it into handbrake to be used with this film, but still no success.

Anyone have any ideas?

I'm using OSX 10.8.3
and
Handbrake version 0.9.8 x86_64 (2012071800)

I was hoping to use iTunes, since I want to allow the film to be viewable by way of my apple TV..

I don't have any experience with that, sorry.

I was hoping to use iTunes, since I want to allow the film to be viewable by way of my apple TV..

You could try MacTheRipper, it is a great ripping tool. Also you can try 5 DVD's for free trial that has no water marks.
Then use handbrake to convert the Movie to MP4, or just change M4v to MP4 works the same.

Download an app called Subler. It will add all the movie/actor/summary information and also the Album Artwork, Drop it into itunes and it will look like you bought it from the itunes store and works great. I ripped my entire collection to my synology server and added them all to iTunes.

Unsure about the subtitles problem though.

I don't know what kind of settings you already tried, but this should work in handbrake.
If you select the correct subtitles in the list and check "burned in" and uncheck "forced only", you should have permanent subtitles as this actually "prints" them on the video track instead of a subtitle track.
This also means they are compatible with everything you want to play it on. No need/ability to select any subtitles track.

I'm using OSX 10.8.3
and
Handbrake version 0.9.8 x86_64 (2012071800)

Have you tried the latest version 0.10.5?

Usually I got the best results when I would pick a preset from the sidebar and then only change as few settings as necessary. You could try picking the "Apple TV" preset and then add in the subtitles. I usually leave "burned in" unchecked and I can always activate and deactivate them in QuickTime player or iTunes just like you would expect.

If you want you can post a screenshot of the subtitles panel, so we can have a look ;)

PS: I would avoid burning in subtitles since you will never be able to get rid of them again, if you decide to watch the movie wthout them or change them later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back