Graphics
Integrated HD 3000
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Classic Mac
  1. Power Mac
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I bought an OCZ Agility 3 120GB SSD for a good price and want to upgrade my good-working Hackintosh with this drive (replace Samsung 1TB drive).

I think I can do this but wanted to get some feedback from more experienced users...

I am running Lion 10.7.2. and Win 7 dual boot (separate hard drives). My current OS X install only takes up 22 GB on the HD. My proposed steps are as follows:

1. Update firmware for SSD in Win 7
2. Use Carbon Copy Cloaner to cloan working Lion system onto SSD. (Partition SSD in GUID)
3. Restart the system and boot new Lion SSD from Chameleon.
4. Run Multibeast on new Lion SSD with same options as original but select "Trim Support" as well (doesn't this add Chameleon to the new Lion SSD?)
5. Shut down and replace the mechanical Lion HD with the new Lion SSD, in same sata III port
6. Restart the system and all should be functioning properly :) Is that wishful thinking?

Am I on track with this approach or am I missing something?

Thanks so much, in advance, for your feedback.

With the re-running of Multibeast as described above do I have to select all the original items or if I only want to add trim enabler to my existing drive can I just select that and run it again?

Thank you

Scuba said:
With the re-running of Multibeast as described above do I have to select all the original items or if I only want to add trim enabler to my existing drive can I just select that and run it again?

Thank you
The only things you need to select in MultiBeast after cloning your HDD to SSD are System Utilities and the Chimera bootloader. If the SSD already has garbage collection built-in, from what I have read it is better to just let the SSD do it. I think this is on a SSD by SSD basis, so I would try without trim to begin with and only enable it if you detect signs of the SSD slowing down when the drive is less than half used.

Thank you very much for your reply, extremely helpful.

Regarding Trim Enabling, OCZ recommends Trim Enabling with the Agility 3 SSD (at least that's what I have found). I think that means I should enable trim as a selection in Multibeast. Do you agree?

If the SSD manufacturer recommends enabling trim, then enable it.

I upgraded to the SSD following your advice. All is working very well. Trim support enabled and pretty good read and write speeds. So far very good. The upgrade was very easy, even for a relative noob like me.

Thanks so much!

I too have enabled TRIM on my 120GB Corsair Force 3 SSD through Multibeast. By any chance do you guys know how I can be sure that my drive is being trimmed?

I assume you mean other then it being listed as supported in "about this mac"?

I have seen some instructions for Win 7 but I have not found anything definitive on the Mac side yet. A decrease in performance over time would sure suggest it but there has to be a more immediate way, right?

Would running back to back to back speed tests tell you something?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back