Contribute
Register

HAJOLO Build: i7 3770k - GA-Z77X-UD5H - 16GB RAM- N560GTX-Ti 448

Status
Not open for further replies.
Out of curiosity: why did you purchase a FireWire card? Was FireWire not supported on this mobo or did you just want FireWire 800 as well? I only ask because I'm considering purchasing this particular board

Out of curiosity: why did you purchase a FireWire card? Was FireWire not supported on this mobo or did you just want FireWire 800 as well? I only ask because I'm considering purchasing this particular board
Yes I am confused about that also. I have this mobo and the onboard FireWire seems to work fine so far. I don't see any Firewire errors in the console logs, unlike in some previous systems.

The Gigabyte implementation of Firewire (FW) will not work with some external drives FW chipsets. For instance, I can connect my Apple iSight webcam to my GA-Z68X-UD3H back panel FW connector, and it works fine. But, I can't get the back panel FW connector to work with my FW external drives. Thus, I also have FW800/400 PCI-e cards for my hackintoshs.

2 reasons I would say.... When I was Reading up on the board I saw lots of recomendations saying it was best to turn off 1394a support in the BIOS for stability reasons. So for the Price of the Syba card I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

Second reason is that I transfer lots of large photo files from my 800 firewire card reader to my Macs and I wanted to keep that possibility on this build.

2 reasons I would say.... When I was Reading up on the board I saw lots of recomendations saying it was best to turn off 1394a support in the BIOS for stability reasons. So for the Price of the Syba card I thought it was better to be safe than sorry.

Second reason is that I transfer lots of large photo files from my 800 firewire card reader to my Macs and I wanted to keep that possibility on this build.

That sounds like a very solid, logical solution. Everything is a catch22 these days.

The Gigabyte implementation of Firewire (FW) will not work with some external drives FW chipsets. For instance, I can connect my Apple iSight webcam to my GA-Z68X-UD3H back panel FW connector, and it works fine. But, I can't get the back panel FW connector to work with my FW external drives. Thus, I also have FW800/400 PCI-e cards for my hackintoshs.

If that is the case, then mayhaps I need not worry about getting a card. All my external drives are routed to a NAS. All I ever plan on doing is adding a mSATA SSD and 2 HDD's via some sort of RAID connection (still reading up on this stuff)

I have tried the following using the built-in mobo Firewire connector (on the back panel of my GA-Z77X-UD5H):
EyeTV 200
Firewire case with ATA CDRW drive in it
Ratoc FireWire-SCSI converter connected to a very old SCSI hard drive (Mac OS 8)

All of these seemed to work fine- the EyeTV has been fine so far with recordings and live TV, and the drives were able to mount disks, read files and then unmount. Of course all are 1394a (400MB/s FireWire) devices. I don't own any 800MB/s 1394b devices to try. I would suggest that people could try their FW devices with the built-in port before setting out to buy the PCIe card.

For anyone having problem dualbooting Win 8 and OSX from Chimera (dedicated ssd to each OS), this is how I finally got it working:

- Unplugged all my discs that wasn't supposed to hold the Win 8 installation
- Entered the cmd prompt at the first win 8 installation screen (choosing language etc.) through shift+F10 and then:
Select disc 0
Clean
create partition primary size=xxx (xxx=whatever you disc size is or how much size you want to use of your disc)
Exit
- I then went with advanced installation to make sure that no extra partitions had been created (system reserved). Here I also had another chance to format and resize the partition I just created.
- Completed Win 8 installation
- Plugged in my other discs
- Restored boot order in BIOS to make the Chimera disk have highest prio
- Booted OSX Mountain Lion
- Reinstalled Chimera

Sorry guys,
but mine Syba remains not being recognized...

In system profile shows:
FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

(I've got Lion 10.7.4)

Sorry guys,
but mine Syba remains not being recognized...

In system profile shows:
FireWire Bus:
Maximum Speed: Up to 800 Mb/sec

(I've got Lion 10.7.4)

Guess it shouldn't matter but which PCI express port are you using?

Have you tried out the onboard mobo firewire connection that "agrajag" proposed?

Guess it shouldn't matter but which PCI express port are you using?

Have you tried out the onboard mobo firewire connection that "agrajag" proposed?

I've tried all PCI slots I could. Even instead Graphic Card ))))
Agrajag's method didn't try, cuz do not have 1394a cable. But gonna try later...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back