Contribute
Register

Hackintoshes Getting More Difficult? Next Build!

Status
Not open for further replies.
What complicates matters more is that what works for one person may not work for another despite extremely similar hardware... This is why I haven't written any build guide for my Z390. There are just too many inconsistencies and variables.

@pastrychef,

I've noticed this too ... some users with Z390 seem to run ok, but others seem to have a lot of instability, same hardware, same config ... very strange ... maybe the new BIOS will help ? .. look forwards to a stability report from you soon.

Cheers
Jay

You guys are making me wonder if I am making a mistake with the Designare Z390, which I got because I liked the idea of having onboard Thunderbolt, and for which there is a Golden Build. I haven't opened the box up yet so I could still return it, but I think I am still gonna' give it a whirl this weekend. if I get totally stumped I will get a Z370. OpenCore looks pretty interesting, and I like to tinker, but I might need to wait until there are slightly more dumbed down guides for it :)

There is a golden build for the Designare z390 and its Op will def help you if you need help so it is not a bad choice. And if you like to Tinker then the z390 should be a good choice for you. The two hacks that I have one is a test box, and one is my Girl Friends. For work I actually use a 2018 Mac mini with EGPU tethered to a windows machine with TB3 direct link. Though since I no longer have the need to work with a point cloud I no longer need a native windows and have considered going back to using the Hack full time. It was a much better work flow! if I did that it would be using an Aorus Gaming 5 with TB3 Titan Ridge.

I had thunderbolt working as an AIC and I believe that @pastrychef has one as well. Though I think the Designare might be less painful on the hot plug TB3 front because it uses a similar path as a real Mac using the PCH rather than PCI.

if I get totally stumped I will get a Z370. OpenCore looks pretty interesting, and I like to tinker, but I might need to wait until there are slightly more dumbed down guides for it.
If you have some experience with Clover and making a hackintosh it won't be that difficult to transition. Keep checking in here for updates.

You guys are making me wonder if I am making a mistake with the Designare Z390, which I got because I liked the idea of having onboard Thunderbolt, and for which there is a Golden Build. I haven't opened the box up yet so I could still return it, but I think I am still gonna' give it a whirl this weekend. if I get totally stumped I will get a Z370. OpenCore looks pretty interesting, and I like to tinker, but I might need to wait until there are slightly more dumbed down guides for it :)

Just remember to be careful with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The dev of that Aptio driver has warned that it will cause hardware failures.

You should 100 percent follow the guide by @CaseySJ. It's virtually your build.

However, I'm with @pastrychef on the z370. I have a new one coming in today.

@pastrychef,

I've noticed this too ... some users with Z390 seem to run ok, but others seem to have a lot of instability, same hardware, same config ... very strange ... maybe the new BIOS will help ? .. look forwards to a stability report from you soon.

Cheers
Jay

Yeah. I don't understand it either... It seems that even slight variations can impact whether a user is able to boot or encounters the "End Randomseed" issue.

I only updated to the new BIOS yesterday but I've already rebooted over a dozen times and it has been solid. Keep in mind that this is with OpenCore. I will test Clover and try to run through the different Aptio fixes to see if the new BIOS has improved booting soon.

Side note:
This new BIOS from Gigabyte has a much better UI than the old ones. Gigabyte also seems to have changed the LLC behavior a bit. My previous overclock settings did not work and I had to completely redo stability testing.

I had thunderbolt working as an AIC and I believe that @pastrychef has one as well. Though I think the Designare might be less painful on the hot plug TB3 front because it uses a similar path as a real Mac using the PCH rather than PCI.

I have a GC-Titan Ridge card in my Z390. The only Thunderbolt device I have is a 10GBase-T adaptor but it works about as well as I would ever expect or hope, including hot plugging.

I have a GC-Titan Ridge card in my Z390. The only Thunderbolt device I have is a 10GBase-T adaptor but it works about as well as I would ever expect or hope, including hot plugging.

Yea I could never get hot plug to work, but I did not spend a lot of time trying to make it work.

Just remember to be careful with OsxAptioFix2Drv-free2000. The dev of that Aptio driver has warned that it will cause hardware failures.
Seems like being careful is kind of a binary thing here.

Developer's warning was a little over 3 months ago. Has anyone heard of a hardware failure that might be due to this?

Last edited:
Newby question: Why would i want Z390 over Z370? Is it just for Gen 9 processor support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back