CPU
i7-7700k
Graphics
GTX 1080 Ti
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hi all, I'm in a bit of a pickle since my work computer is now on the fritz, and I'd really appreciate some help!

My hackintosh has worked for years at this point. I installed an M.2 (nVME) boot drive initially, and managed to get the ID of this drive in a Windows installation, to then (I think) use that information in Clover somehow to get Sierra to recognise the M.2 drive, since I know M.2 wasn't natively accepted by Sierra...

So I modified my Clover (some kext I'm sure) to recognise the M.2 drive, and it all worked. I never updated from Sierra.

But just a few days ago, I installed a second M.2 nVME SSD in the other slot on my mobo, to use as a Windows boot drive. That all works, but now my Apple boot drive no longer works!

When I try to boot my Apple drive, I get a string of text that I never used to get, and it goes into an infinite restart loop. Attached is the wall of text.

I imagine by using my second M.2 slot on my mobo, I altered some value for the first M.2 slot, making my Clover / kext configuration no longer valid?

I would REALLY appreciate some help on this. It's been a long time since I messed with Clover or anything (since my Hackintosh worked perfectly for so many years), so I'd appreciate being treated like a noob on this all over again.

Thank you!

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_183129.jpg
    IMG_20200318_183129.jpg
    3.5 MB · Views: 62
The kernel panic is because of Firewire.

The kernel panic is because of Firewire.
I have a Firewire PCI card installed; but why would this be happening now, all of a sudden? Nothing has changed in that regard... how can I fix this?

I have a Firewire PCI card installed; but why would this be happening now, all of a sudden? Nothing has changed in that regard... how can I fix this?

Shared PCI-e lanes between the PCI-e slot used by your Firewire card and M.2 slot?

Z270 only has 24 PCI-e lanes.

Shared PCI-e lanes between the PCI-e slot used by your Firewire card and M.2 slot?

Z270 only has 24 PCI-e lanes.
Thank you for your replies.

This is a very strange issue for me to figure out. What do you think is my best course of action here? Any keywords or other threads I can try? I'd really appreciate any help on this as I'm a little bit screwed if I can't fix this quick! :)

Thank you for your replies.

This is a very strange issue for me to figure out. What do you think is my best course of action here? Any keywords or other threads I can try? I'd really appreciate any help on this as I'm a little bit screwed if I can't fix this quick! :)

Try pulling the Firewire card and see if you can boot. If yes, try plugging the Firewire card back in to a different PCI-e slot.

Also, check in BIOS to see if there are options to assign lanes.

Try pulling the Firewire card and see if you can boot. If yes, try plugging the Firewire card back in to a different PCI-e slot.

Also, check in BIOS to see if there are options to assign lanes.
Thanks again for your suggestion.

I removed the Firewire PCI-e card and now get the following panic...

Attachments

• IMG_20200318_190200.jpg
    IMG_20200318_190200.jpg
    5.6 MB · Views: 70
Thanks again for your suggestion.

I removed the Firewire PCI-e card and now get the following panic...

What kind of SSD is it? Samsung 970 EVO Plus? Are you using any NVMe patches in your EFI?

Please post your EFI Folder.

What kind of SSD is it? Samsung 970 EVO Plus? Are you using any NVMe patches in your EFI?

Please post your EFI Folder.
I use a 960 EVO for my Apple boot drive.

The second M.2 I just installed is a 970 EVO plus -- for Windows.

I'm not sure whether I'm using NVMe patches in my EFI -- I know i had to do some tinkering to allow Sierra to recognise M.2 drives. How can I post my EFI folder? How can I access it?

Thank you so much! :)

I use a 960 EVO for my Apple boot drive.

The second M.2 I just installed is a 970 EVO plus -- for Windows.

I'm not sure whether I'm using NVMe patches in my EFI -- I know i had to do some tinkering to allow Sierra to recognise M.2 drives. How can I post my EFI folder? How can I access it?

Thank you so much! :)

Samsung 970 EVO Plus needs a firmware flash before it can work in a hackintosh. Even if the 970 EVO Plus has no data on it, the mere fact that it's installed will cause problems for macOS.

Search around for "970 EVO Plus hackintosh firmware" and you will find all the info you need.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back