Contribute
Register

Hackintosh with DUAL Apple Thunderbolt Display (27") support?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
-
CPU
-
Graphics
-
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if there is a possibility to run two Apple Thunderbolt Displays with a Hackintosh?

Thanks!
Marcus

Hello everybody,

I'm wondering if there is a possibility to run two Apple Thunderbolt Displays with a Hackintosh?

Thanks!
Marcus

Well at least in theory, the Gigabyte UP5 Thunderbolt should be able to as it has dual thunderbolt ports. Not sure if anyone has actually gotten this to work though.

IMHO, I would just get a similar quality monitor that doesn't require the Thunderbolt connection. Dell makes some good 27" IPS monitors. Some NEC models are made with color proofing in mind if that is why you want the apple display.

Thanks for your answer! I thought already about buying 2 Dell displays, however, I prefer the Apple display because of the design.

Originally, I wanted to buy a new Mac mini/iMac ... however since the current models are very outdated and no new models are announced, I think about creating my own desktop Mac.

Well at least in theory, the Gigabyte UP5 Thunderbolt should be able to as it has dual thunderbolt ports.

I agree that, at least in theory, this should work.

However, if you use a Thunderbolt Display, there is a major limitation... you have to use the on-board HD4000 graphics. If you want to play high-end games or do other graphically intensive work, don't go with the Thunderbolt Display.

The only available mainboard with 2 Thunderbolt ports is the GA-Z77X-UP5 TH.
I tried to use it with two 30" Dell 2560x1600 Displayport screens, but always had some screen flicker on the second one.
Also tried with a Thunderbolt Display and one 30" Dell, same problem with flicker on the second screen.

Only way to run two Apple Thunderbolt Displays is a Mac ...
It works well on my Retina Macbook Pro. There must be some difference between the Thunderbolt implementation on the Gigabyte board and in the Macbook Pro, since with the Retina I don't have any screen flicker with two 30" screens connected.

Just don't get the thunderbolt displays. Apple sells the regular mini display port models still. The same display just without all the passthrough of thunderbolt. This would also allow you to keep the thunderbolt slot open to use it with a hard drive setup as a scratch disk and such without any performance loss.

why do you have to use onboard intel 4000 graphics? so i cant buy a graphics card and use a thunderbolt to dvi cord? that really sucks i have a thunderbolt display and am looking to build a hackintosh

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back