INTEL NUC8i7BEH
CPU
i7-8559U
Graphics
Iris Plus 655
Mac
  1. MacBook Air
Hello all,

From the subject, I'm sure you know that this will be my very first Hackintosh.
I even sold my MacBook Air 13 inch to get the money for this build (Don't worry I still have my partners MacBook Air 11 inch for the required installation files).

I've looked on the buyers guide but still a bit confused, some of the parts on the buyers guide still had people having issues after I searched for it in the forums.
I'm hoping that this post will be able to guide me in the right direction when purchasing.

At at the moment I have the following build in mind:
CPU: i5 4460 (Using stock fan)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 950 OC 2GB (N950OC-2GD)
MB: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
SSD: Samsung 120GB EVO 850
RAM: 1 x 8GB stick (Crucial -

CT102464BD160B)
PSU: Corsair CS450M
Wifi/BT (For handoff and continuity): eBay (See link here)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini

With this build I would like to find out:
a. Are these parts compatible?
b. Will it simply be following the instructions on this forum with Unibeast or will there be a lot of tweaking involved? (I have to admit, I am a little bit intimidated by the tweaking parts, at least what I've read on the forums so far... Could be that I'm just not yet familiar with the 'functions')

Any advice, tips or even a simple 'You're on the right track' will most certainly be welcomed :)

PS: What I intend to use my Hackintosh for is make it my main computer (Since I've sold my MacBook Air) and also dual boot it with Wondows 7/10 so I can still play some of the games I want.
I do intend to learn some Swift and start using Xcode to develop some apps but will first take baby steps in terms of getting the Hackintosh to work.

Hackintosh Virgin - Cherry will be popped soon

At at the moment I have the following build in mind:
CPU: i5 4460 (Using stock fan)
GPU: Gigabyte GTX 950 OC 2GB (N950OC-2GD)
MB: Gigabyte H97M-D3H
SSD: Samsung 120GB EVO 850
RAM: 1 x 8GB stick (Crucial -
CT102464BD160B)
PSU: Corsair CS450M
Wifi/BT (For handoff and continuity): eBay (See link here)
Case: Fractal Design - Define Mini

With this build I would like to find out:
a. Are these parts compatible?

Yes, all of those parts should work well together and run OS X El Capitan very well.

b. Will it simply be following the instructions on this forum with Unibeast or will there be a lot of tweaking involved? (I have to admit, I am a little bit intimidated by the tweaking parts, at least what I've read on the forums so far... Could be that I'm just not yet familiar with the 'functions')

It should be a standard, routine install. Use this guide: http://www.tonymacx86.com/el-capita...-el-capitan-any-supported-intel-based-pc.html. The only "extra" step you will need to take will be to install the alternate Nvidia graphics drivers from Nvidia's website (link and more info here).

PS: What I intend to use my Hackintosh for is make it my main computer (Since I've sold my MacBook Air) and also dual boot it with Wondows 7/10 so I can still play some of the games I want.
I do intend to learn some Swift and start using Xcode to develop some apps but will first take baby steps in terms of getting the Hackintosh to work.

There are lots of guides here (even an entire sub-forum) for setting up a dual-boot system - do a search. What it boils down to is to install OS X with ONLY your OS X boot drive in your system, get it completely configured. Then remove the OS X boot drive, install your intended Windows boot drive, and install Windows with ONLY the Windows boot drive in your system. Once Windows is completely configured and updated, shut the system down and put the OS X boot drive back in, making it the default boot drive. The Clover bootloader will see the Windows drive and make it one of your boot options.

if your budget allows it , I would suggest you replace to power supply for a Silverstone ST45SF-G with their short cable kit PP05-E since you are building in a small case.

They are technically comparable except the Silverstone is fully modular. Corsair cables are insanely long to be usable in their line up of cases (some of them extra large) but will leave a clutter in a small case like the Define Mini. It is a matter of preference really but felt I should point it out.

Thank you for your replies. Very promising to know that I shouldn't come across major issues except the Nvidia drivers. With the links you've provided I'll be all good! (At least that's what I think for now :p)

About the PSU, yea I'm on quite the budget hence why I could only get 1 stick of 8GB of RAM :p I took a look at the SilverStone PSU you recommended, the supplier around my area doesn't have the 450W version and only have the 550W version which is out of my budget.
Nevertheless, thanks for the heads up, at least this just means in the future I don't have to worry about upgrading to a large case :D

Last edited:
Hi,

I completed my first build this week. This forum has everything you need. Installation was ridiculously painless. Unibeast and Multibeast are incredible tools and make it so easy.

Advice is easy to get and even if you run into minor niggles, someone else here would have almost certainly solved it.

Smink

Hi,

I completed my first build this week. This forum has everything you need. Installation was ridiculously painless. Unibeast and Multibeast are incredible tools and make it so easy.

Advice is easy to get and even if you run into minor niggles, someone else here would have almost certainly solved it.

Smink

Yea I have to say that the installation process was a lot easier than I expected! The guide is very informative! I've got my hardware to work now, so no issues there.
My only issues now is trying to first get iMessage to work (digging around in the forums at the moment) and second, get handoff/continuity to work. Once that's done, I think I've tackled everything :)

Have you managed to get iMessage working?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back