asus p8z77-v le
CPU
I7 2600K
Graphics
HD 3000
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Dear hackintoshers,

My hackintosh is running for a year now, and i'm only using it for Video Editing (FCP X). It would be nice if i could speed it up a bit.
Current configuration:

I7 2600K
GTX 560TI
8GB ram
1TB 7200 RPM Media Drive (source files and such)
250GB 7200 RPM boot drive
1TB 5400 RPM Download drive

I was wondering if an SSD would speed up the editing process of FPC X much. I don't mean the boot up time (that will be very fast with an SSD ofcourse) but when working with a project. And if so, how much GB SSD would be needed. Would 128GB be enough?
And i read you can clone your current drive to the new one, is this difficult? and will my projects be copied too?

Also would upgrading from 8 to 16GB RAM make a(big enough) difference?

Most of my files are 1080 50P with bitrate 28MB/s

Dear hackintoshers,

My hackintosh is running for a year now, and i'm only using it for Video Editing (FCP X). It would be nice if i could speed it up a bit.
Current configuration:

I7 2600K
GTX 560TI
8GB ram

I was wondering if an SSD would speed up the editing process of FPC X much. I don't mean the boot up time (that will be very fast with an SSD ofcourse) but when working with a project. And if so, how much GB SSD would be needed. Would 128GB be enough?
And i read you can clone your current drive to the new one, is this difficult? and will my projects be copied too?

When moving from a HDD to a SSD it is better to do a clean install. The OS installer will detect it is a SSD and automatically put in the SSD settings for trim, etc. When cloning from HDD to SSD, you would have to do this manually.

Dear hackintoshers,

Current configuration:

I7 2600K
GTX 560TI
8GB ram

therealMB

Only bit of info not provided was the OSX version -

What may help would be to check the FCP forums to see what has been said about it - and if other Macs have done to "speed it up"

You may need to find answers to other questions in order to get this done. Such as where are the work files created.
Cause if the program FCP has the means of re-assigning where work is done them moving this to a SSD would be beneficial.
Of course the work files need to be deleted when done w one project and moving on.

Execution of the programs in Ram should not be the problem and you don't need to have FCP on a SSD. ( I would think - IMHO) As reading the files from a MECH HD is a one time deal. - Now DATA TRANSFER speeds thats another story - are you using SATA 6GB ports for this work.
As most MB only give us two 6GB ports off the intel chipset. (Big SNAFU their when the Drive Industry has moved to 6GB interface.)

Other items that you may want to think about are - is my Video card the best for this - again check the forums to see - if using two cards works better - Does FCP use CUDA to speed things up - if so adding a 2nd video card for just this could help. So using a 670 nvidia for the primary GFX card and the 560 as the CUDA card could help. As your 560 is FERMI and a 670 is Kepler can these work together. More questions. Here is another one - some people report that using a ATI card was the best for FCP - again more questions.

Suggest you search the TMX86 Forums for help on FCP. Sometime users post their results etc in our Forums.

I do Video rendering etc - under windows I know Bad puppy. - And what I have found out is that Video GFX is less important that having Great FILE IO and Multiple CPU's or as many CORES as possible. Using 8 Cores helps IMHO -
So you may need to do some gathering of the IO speeds when your run a FCP process is running and see what the workload is for CPU Ram and Disk, this information could help w the questions you are asking.

Again more research and questions - You may need to use a PCI8X raid card to get the speed you need - I have a PCI4x Raid card w 4 drives in raid and have very good throughput for I/O and Data transfer rates. Some users have used SSD on these cards and its insane - the old adage from Hot Rodding is how fast you wanna go!

Oh and here is another Question to ponder - being a hardware junkie - I have heard it that Intel plans new Desktop CPU's this year to be releases in July, that would suggest a more powerful and faster system is just over the horizon, as when intel released new CPU's we get new support chips - maybe we will get 4 or 6 6GB SATA ports now. ( we can hope) So waiting until then to build a new system ( w Apple Support FOR it built into Mountain Lion.) maybe the best answer to all the questions. Start Savin $$$$...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back