Contribute
Register

Hackintosh sudden shut down -- black screen with fans on!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH
CPU
i7-3770K
Graphics
Gigabyte Radeon RX 560 OC 4G (Rev2)
Hi all -

I'm in a bit of a desperate situation -- any help you can provide would be GREAT.

I've had my Hackintosh (specs below) up and running for about 10 months. Aside from a few sound issues early on and occasionally needing to reboot to connect to wifi, everything's been pretty flawless... until now.

- A few days ago, I was unable to wake my Hackintosh after sleep. Had to unplug computer, re-plug, then restart. I thought it was maybe related to a new Thunderbolt HD I had plugged in. I knew thunderbolts could be issues, so I ignored the issue.

- Then, like two days ago, one morning I came into my office (after leaving my computer running all night while compressing some video) and the Hackintosh had mysteriously shut down. Again, I had to unplug computer, re-plug, then restart. I still had that thunderbolt HD plugged in, but was a little more troubled by this issue.

- Anyway, today, I was working on my Hackintosh and it just suddenly went black -- fans still running, but keyboard unresponsive and complete black screen. Had to unplug. Rebooted. And it happened again after about 30 minutes. Then again.

Sometimes it works for like 2 hours, sometimes for 30 minutes, sometimes 5 minutes. Doesn't seem to be dependent on what apps I'm running, etc.

I have taken the panel off my case and I can see the motherboard reads "A0", the fans running, and the computer doesn't seem excessively hot (RAM is hot, but I think that's normal)...

Things I've tried problem-solving:

* I wondered if it had to do with monitors or the graphics card so I tried hot-swapping different monitors (and also plugging into the motherboard's monitor port instead of the Nvidia). Simply switching the monitors doesn't produce an image. One time I tried plugging in a different (smaller) monitor into the computer when it was black and, though nothing appeared, when I eventually rebooted the Hackintosh all the files on my desktop were rearranged (like, pushed together for a smaller monitor) as if I HAD gotten that smaller monitor to work. So, I don't know if that's a hint or not.

* I have unplugged all firewire and thunderbolt drives connected. This seems to have no effect.

* I reset CMOS by pushing the little button on the motherboard -- didn't seem to make a difference. (Computer stayed on for 30 minutes... then "shut down" again. Then the next "cycle" after not resetting CMOS it stayed on for 2 hours.)

* Tested the RAM with Rember. Did a short (two hour) test and nothing came up. Oddly, the computer had no issues doing the test. For what it's worth, I turned off wifi while doing the RAM test.

* It does seem to happen when wifi is on... but don't know if that's a coincidence because I can't seem to create a situation where I can make the Hackintosh shut down.

Any ideas? Things/ways to test? I'm desperate because I've lost my main computer!

Thanks in advance to anyone willing to reply!!

My Hackintosh specs:
- Gigabyte GA-Z77X-UP5-TH motherboard
- Intel Core i7-3770K Quad-Core Processor 3.5 GHz 8 MB Cache LGA 1155 - BX80637I73770K
- NVidia GTX570 graphics card (2560 MB)
- Corsair TX850M power supply
- Corsair CWCH60 liquid cooler
- Corsair Vengeance 4 x 8GB RAM (CMX32GX3M4X1600C10)
- Sandisk Extreme 240 GB SSD boot drive
- TP-Link TL-WDN4800 wifi card
- Syba SD-PEX30009 Firewire card
- LG internal blu-ray burner WH14NS40
- Antec P183 V3 case
- ASUS PA248Q 24-Inch Monitor (connected by Displayport)
- multiple 7200 rpm SATA drives for media, documents, etc.

ps. Cross posted this elsewhere several hours ago, and got no reply. Decided to post here because it might be more appropriate for this section of the forum.

How are your CPU temperatures? Possible CPU overheat?

I guess it could be overheating? I took a screenshot of the temperatures -- which seem pretty okay -- and then, as I was preparing to reply to you, it shut down again. This time the graphics card fan went into overdrive, which it had only done once before. (I have my case open, so I'm sure that it was the graphics card.) Weird thing, though, is that the graphics card doesn't feel hot to the touch at all.

So maybe it's the graphics card?
Would looking in the Console help? I'm afraid I'm pretty lost when it comes to this stuff.

Screen Shot 2013-08-18 at 1.15.42 PM.png

I guess it could be overheating? I took a screenshot of the temperatures -- which seem pretty okay -- and then, as I was preparing to reply to you, it shut down again. This time the graphics card fan went into overdrive, which it had only done once before. (I have my case open, so I'm sure that it was the graphics card.) Weird thing, though, is that the graphics card doesn't feel hot to the touch at all.

So maybe it's the graphics card?
Would looking in the Console help? I'm afraid I'm pretty lost when it comes to this stuff.

View attachment 64775

If those CPU temps are under load, those are really good. But since your multiplier at the time of the shot is x16, I have a feeling those are idle temps. Check CPU temps when under load.

It could be a graphics issue too but I have no experience w/ discrete cards such as your nvidia. Maybe someone else will chime in...

So, more weirdness:

- Had another crash -- black screen of death -- and this time the graphics card went into overdrive. So I decided, it's probably the graphics card. Rebooted. Left the computer on while I went to buy a GeForce GTX660 at BestBuy. Returned home and the computer had shut down. Turned power off, switched out the GTX 560 with the new GTX 660, and flipped the power switch.... and NOTHING. The motherboard's power button wouldn't even light up. Absolutely nothing.

So I thought, "Oh, it's the PSU, not the graphics card." It was too late to return to Best Buy and get one of those (they'd closed). So I decided to check on the PSU...

Removed the graphics card so there was only internal graphics, flipped the power switch, and there was power. Got kernel panics trying to get the computer to work this way (not surprising -- it wasn't set up for internal graphics). But the point is: The power supply wasn't dead, after all.

So, I re-installed the GTX 560 and it came online fine.

Re-tried the 660 and couldn't get it to work.

Reinstalled the 560 again, which is what I'm using as I write this. And while using the 560, following Rehab's suggestion, I did a stress test -- temps still seem fine. (See image.) And, oddly, the stress test didn't cause the Hackintosh to crash.

In fact, I've still yet figure out how to cause the black screen to happen. It just chooses random moments. Sometimes when I'm working, sometimes when things are idle.

To recap:
- I've had some power weirdness, but don't know if I can attribute it to the PSU.
- High temps would be an easy explanation for the black screen... except I'm not getting high temps.
- The only graphics card I can get to work at all is the GTX 570, but that seems like it's probably more of an issue with drivers, etc.
- Finally, I've scoured Console for error reports right before the black screen of death... and there's absolutely no consistency.

Thoroughly confused!!

Screen Shot 2013-08-18 at 10.48.46 PM.png

So, more weirdness:

- Had another crash -- black screen of death -- and this time the graphics card went into overdrive. So I decided, it's probably the graphics card. Rebooted. Left the computer on while I went to buy a GeForce GTX660 at BestBuy. Returned home and the computer had shut down. Turned power off, switched out the GTX 560 with the new GTX 660, and flipped the power switch.... and NOTHING. The motherboard's power button wouldn't even light up. Absolutely nothing.

So I thought, "Oh, it's the PSU, not the graphics card." It was too late to return to Best Buy and get one of those (they'd closed). So I decided to check on the PSU...

Removed the graphics card so there was only internal graphics, flipped the power switch, and there was power. Got kernel panics trying to get the computer to work this way (not surprising -- it wasn't set up for internal graphics). But the point is: The power supply wasn't dead, after all.

So, I re-installed the GTX 560 and it came online fine.

Re-tried the 660 and couldn't get it to work.

Reinstalled the 560 again, which is what I'm using as I write this. And while using the 560, following Rehab's suggestion, I did a stress test -- temps still seem fine. (See image.) And, oddly, the stress test didn't cause the Hackintosh to crash.

In fact, I've still yet figure out how to cause the black screen to happen. It just chooses random moments. Sometimes when I'm working, sometimes when things are idle.

To recap:
- I've had some power weirdness, but don't know if I can attribute it to the PSU.
- High temps would be an easy explanation for the black screen... except I'm not getting high temps.
- The only graphics card I can get to work at all is the GTX 570, but that seems like it's probably more of an issue with drivers, etc.
- Finally, I've scoured Console for error reports right before the black screen of death... and there's absolutely no consistency.

Thoroughly confused!!

View attachment 64811

Is this a new build? Did you test your RAM? The first thing I do after putting together a new build (before installing an OS) is test the RAM overnight with memtest86+.

Is this a new build? Did you test your RAM? The first thing I do after putting together a new build (before installing an OS) is test the RAM overnight with memtest86+.

Not a new build -- built this in November 2012. Got it working on the second day and it's been running like a champ until this weirdness started happening. I've been excessively careful about "breaking" the computer -- hadn't updated the OS (10.8.2), hadn't changed drivers, etc. About the only software I've updated is Flash. (A mistake, probably.)

As for RAM, I did test the RAM Saturday when this stuff was happening since that was one of my first suspicions. I used Rember, not memtest86+. Only did one loop, but Rember said everything was fine. I could run another test, I guess.

Last night I left the computer on with only safari and text edit running (idling, really). The screensaver was engaged and display sleep was set to kick in at 1hr. Computer sleep was set to "never." Came in this morning and the computer was off.

I swapped out the Corsair TX850M for a Corasair CX600M a few minutes ago, so that's what I'm testing now. (I put the working GT570 back in.)

Unfortunately, I still don't know what's triggering the event, so I don't know how to test the power supply other than to wait. I had hoped that Rember or CPUTest (the stress test app) would force the issue. But no such luck.

Any ideas?

Not a new build -- built this in November 2012. Got it working on the second day and it's been running like a champ until this weirdness started happening. I've been excessively careful about "breaking" the computer -- hadn't updated the OS (10.8.2), hadn't changed drivers, etc. About the only software I've updated is Flash. (A mistake, probably.)

As for RAM, I did test the RAM Saturday when this stuff was happening since that was one of my first suspicions. I used Rember, not memtest86+. Only did one loop, but Rember said everything was fine. I could run another test, I guess.

Last night I left the computer on with only safari and text edit running (idling, really). The screensaver was engaged and display sleep was set to kick in at 1hr. Computer sleep was set to "never." Came in this morning and the computer was off.

I swapped out the Corsair TX850M for a Corasair CX600M a few minutes ago, so that's what I'm testing now. (I put the working GT570 back in.)

Unfortunately, I still don't know what's triggering the event, so I don't know how to test the power supply other than to wait. I had hoped that Rember or CPUTest (the stress test app) would force the issue. But no such luck.

Any ideas?

I tend to suspect something to do with the graphics card/drivers...

Have you tried running it with integrated (HD4000) graphics?

I tend to suspect something to do with the graphics card/drivers...

Have you tried running it with integrated (HD4000) graphics?

You mean the internal graphics on my gigabyte mb? I tried last night, but couldn't get it to get past the apple icon screen. It would just hang. Had my bios set to IFGX, too, so I don't know what I was doing wrong.

By the way, how do you use memtest86+ on a Hackintosh? Looks like a PC app, and I don't have windows installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back