Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Stable enough for Business use ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
DESIGNARE Z390
CPU
I7-8700K
Graphics
RX 580
Mac
  1. Mac mini
HI,
I 've been wanting to build a Hackingtosh for a bit now, we tried with a friend 6 or 7 years ago, it seems are things are easier nowadays ...

I'm a graphic designer, I do quit a bit of video editing and 3D rendering, and I need a beast ! I was considering to get a Mac pro, but on the same budget I could get a much more powerful machine.

The only thing I was wondering is, Are hackingtosh stable enough to work with and use them for my business, I can't have a machine that keeps bugging or shut down for no reason. As we all know "Time is money" !! ;)

That wold be the only thing that is keeping me from starting this adventure !

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi, domaj,

Ever since I built mine on my office desktop, I haven't used anything else. I'm a software developer, I use Netbeans ALOT, but my job requires me every now and then to fall back to graphics processing, video editing, audio mixing, and when the time is right, some gaming. Since Yosemite, once I've built my Hack, I haven't had a single hang, a spontaneous reboot, nor a Kernel panic. Yes, it has happened once or twice that Netbeans stops by itself, but that was a Java-related issue.

When I got my laptop and Yosemited it, I had only used this for work.

Yes, it's a bit of a challenge to get all things working but, once you're done, you will not want to look anywhere else!

It depends on the machine you get. From my own experience, I would totally recommend Acer Aspire V5-572G. As for desktops, there is quite a complete guide on this site on which parts are best working together.

Hope this helps and in case you go for it - good luck!

Yeah a Hackintosh is stable depending on what hardware you choose. My Z77-DS3H hack is my daily driver always on use it for pretty much everything also my H61N-USB3 is stable also. :thumbup:

I don't use anything else but my Hackintosh. It's rock solid and fully featured except that it won't play the DRM movies that I bought from Apple. Everything else works great, iMessage, FaceTime, AirDrop, Handoff, Find My Mac, etc., literally everything. I'll never look back.

When I built my Hackintosh I thought it was going to be unstable here and there but I have not had a single kernal panic or any thing with my build. I edit and record videos on my Hackinosh to a point I feel that it is stable enough to spend the money on Final Cut Pro X from iMovie.

Dude OSX handles my stuff better than Windows ever has!

I use my hackintosh for:
Software development, running Microsoft Visual Studio through Win 7 on parallels desktop (runs like a boss)
Video production - Adobe After Effects CC 2014
Graphic design - Adobe Photoshop CC 2014
Gaming - Everything from emulators to graphically intense games.
HTPC - Kodi media center, HD movies, absolutely zero audio sync issues (can't say the same about Windows)
DAW - Running Reaper and YES I use my built in audio, which is impossible in Windows. I get zero latency.

Running a Nvidia GTX 970 with three screens (two in my office, one on the living room hdtv)

Been on OS X 10.10.5 for almost a month now, a few weeks ago I wiped my Windows drive and said my final goodbyes. No dual boot for me, I am never going back. You are doing the right thing dude, you will find the best setup guides. Just about anything is possible, especially with all of the custom kexts developed by those on this forum. This is a large community so no matter what issue you might run into, most likely someone else has already dealt with it. I HIGHLY recommend installing using Clover EFI. I did this and OS X boots up in 11 seconds.

You know what's great? Plugging in a usb device and it just works!

Let your Windows friends tease you and call you names, then laugh when they get their blue screens of death and your still purring along.

I don't use anything else but my Hackintosh. It's rock solid and fully featured except that it won't play the DRM movies that I bought from Apple. Everything else works great, iMessage, FaceTime, AirDrop, Handoff, Find My Mac, etc., literally everything. I'll never look back.

I need this build but mostly new hardware for supporting long term, coming new updates and performance.
Can someone help me about most stable hardware selection ?

I need this build but mostly new hardware for supporting long term, coming new updates and performance.
Can someone help me about most stable hardware selection ?
I have had a few going since Winter 2012. Since then, I've used them to do everything from making games in Unity3D, sculpting, painting, and rigging character models. I've had no problem using a Wacom Cintiq. I've loved using all of the adobe suite as well.

I've had machines of all OS's (RedHat, Slackware, Ubuntu, Debian, Windows 3.1, 3.11, NT4, etc.), and this is the most rock solid machine ever.

My advice might not be the greatest but I would usually pay attention to the Golden Build threads.

Gigabyte motherboards and Nvidia cards have been sweetest to me.

I like going to Micro Center and local PC shops to see if I can piece one together right away.

The up times of my hackintoshes are far greater than any other machine I've had or built.

I'm a former HP employee and self employed Nindie game developer.
I got sick of the BSODs in windows and the TL;dr error messages.
Hackintoshes are definitely the way to go.

I think it is stable for business use. I use it for mine. My tip would be to back up your important information and know your hardware. Also, read about the updates before updating, if you have a problem, someone is likely to have had it first.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back