Contribute
Register

Hackintosh only recognizing half of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cry: I tried every combination imaginable to man kind. I even tried each individual slot with each stick and only got 2gb of ram per stick, per slot. It looks like for some reason, I just have incompatible ram. My next step is to return for a refund and identify the problem with this particular ram to avoid buying ram with the same mistake. Does anyone have any suggestions as to what ram I should buy in replacement of my patriot ram? I would like the same speed and around the same price but I am contemplating getting maybe 12-16gb of ram instead of 8

Instead of messing around and trying to fix what seems to be a unsolvable problem, I've chose to request another RMA from newegg and get my money back. I have plans on purchasing this set of sticks http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231455 as they are faster and are only $10 more. Does anyone else have any other suggestions and is there any definite way of telling whether this will for sure work with my system?

The memory module you purchased at best buy only shows up as 2GB? What brand is it? And is marked as 4?
I would have best buy check that module, if they can. You may have a motherboard problem,

Nice but don't you think the g.skills are better? Higher speed at a lower price?..

johnson8ryley said:
(...) it's only recognizing the sticks at 2gb each when I'm fact they are 2x4gb sticks. (...)
I've once had that problem too,....the time as I (successfully) tried to install SL on AMD.

SL 32bit kernel for AMD only adresses 4GB RAM, because the hacked kernel cannot recognize and use more than that. Just saying, so you know about that.

What's your hardware specs, by the way? None of your posts mentions any! Please tell us, so we can help you more.

Are you using the original Lion or SL image from the apple store? What OS are you currently using, SL or Lion?

In my first post, I posted my ram and motherboard which is the only important thing ATM. I'm running lion 10.7.3

johnson8ryley said:
Nice but don't you think the g.skills are better? Higher speed at a lower price?..

It depends, looks like you want to run 1800ish for overclocking.... are you running i5 or i7... I dont know much about g-skill..... Ive been using Corsair since 06 due to reliability... I know you can push that RAM for overclocking but I normally dont overclock much... I like to see what my system can tolerate but normally I put it back to stock for everyday use..

whatever RAM you choose I hope you have better luck

johnson8ryley said:
In my first post, I posted my ram and motherboard which is the only important thing ATM. I'm running lion 10.7.3
Sorry, didn't saw the amazon link. (Very well hidden.)

What bios version are you using? Have you considered crafting a custon dsdt for your board? What identiy have you installed, MacPro, iMac, MacMini?

Sorry, that 4gb limit stuff is strictly speaking modded OSX kernel effect only, that's where I came from. And it can't be related to your hardware malfunctioning, as well as bad RAM, because Windows boots fine with it and detects all of it.

Are you sure you are running a legit copy of Lion? Maybe someone ripped you off. :think:

And no, it is really important what other hardware you are using,...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back