Contribute
Register

Hackintosh only recognizing half of ram.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
DSDT-GA-Z68A-D3H-B3-F13
CPU
i7-3770k
Graphics
Radeon Sapphire 6870
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
I received DOA ram from newegg 3 weeks ago so I got an RMA and sent it back to newegg to get some replacements. While waiting, I got a 4gb stick from best buy last week (different speed then newegg ones) and went about my business. Last weekend I overclocked successfully and on Monday my replacement ram arrived so I installed the replacement. Needless to say, it's only recognizing the sticks at 2gb each when I'm fact they are 2x4gb sticks. I have tried different slots, combinations, everything. I have even tried using just one stick to see if it would show as a 4gb stick but to my avail, it only showed 2gb. The ram I have are these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220569&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-Patriot+Memory-_-20220569 and this is my mobo http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00518M77U/?tag=howt0be-20 but what's bothering me is that Chimera says:
Darwin/ x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chimera v1.8.0 r1394
Build date: 2012-02-24 10:24:20
4013MB memory
And if I'm not mistaken, I thought x86 meant 32 bit but I could be wrong. Bios is set up as 64 bit and windows 7 is also showing only 4gb of ram.

[Edit] I might add that I haven't changed the ram speed in bios and I have 64-bit windows. Thanks.

johnson8ryley said:
I received DOA ram from newegg 3 weeks ago so I got an RMA and sent it back to newegg to get some replacements. While waiting, I got a 4gb stick from best buy last week (different speed then newegg ones) and went about my business. Last weekend I overclocked successfully and on Monday my replacement ram arrived so I installed the replacement. Needless to say, it's only recognizing the sticks at 2gb each when I'm fact they are 2x4gb sticks. I have tried different slots, combinations, everything. I have even tried using just one stick to see if it would show as a 4gb stick but to my avail, it only showed 2gb. The ram I have are these http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820220569&nm_mc=OTC-Froogle&cm_mmc=OTC-Froogle-_-Memory+(Desktop+Memory)-_-Patriot+Memory-_-20220569 and this is my mobo http://www.amazon.com/o/ASIN/B00518M77U/?tag=howt0be-20 but what's bothering me is that Chimera says:
Darwin/ x86 boot v5.0.132 - Chimera v1.8.0 r1394
Build date: 2012-02-24 10:24:20
4013MB memory
And if I'm not mistaken, I thought x86 meant 32 bit but I could be wrong. Bios is set up as 64 bit and windows 7 is also showing only 4gb of ram.

[Edit] I might add that I haven't changed the ram speed in bios and I have 64-bit windows. Thanks.
So the single Best Buy RAM module shows as 4GB? And you are using the white memory sockets when you put in the Patriot memory? If you put 1 of the Patriot memory module in DDR_1, do you get 2 or 4GB. :think:

Read the label on the side of the memory you received from RMA.... They could have sent you the wrong modules back.

It will be in the part number of how many GB each stick is.. I have a feeling you have 2x2GB - totaling 4GB

Try to test the memory in a other system or by a friends system.
which size shows on the sticker maybe you got a wrong size from RMA.

during your TS process... were you able to verify that each stick could allow the system to post during start-up... meaning when you tested it one stick at a time.....

also I'm confused as well.... do you have 2 sticks that should equal 4gigs total
or do you have 2 sticks that should equal 8gigs total.. your newegg link shows 2x4gig=8total

if that is the case during post what does bios say the ram is clocked at individually... lastly does the timings match under your memory settings in your bios to both sticks of ram tested individually.... if windows 7 and mac OS are doing the same thing in regard to seeing the same RAM size then it is a hardware issue ;)

..cause if you have a 1 x 4gig stick that is showing only 2 gigs = big problems... you may from there try to clear your cmos. reset your hdd and mem settings..... and boot to windows 7 and check for bios updates

As stated in my original posts, I ordered 2x4gb sticks and I have checked the sticks and they say 2x4gb. I had to recently clear my CMOS before I overclocked but you guys gave me some great ideas. I haven't tried booting each stick individually. Please keep leaving feedback and also, bios is showing 1600mhz for each stick which is the speed the sticks are designed for.

I did see you said 2x4gig... I just never have seen a system recognize only 2x2gigs during post when you have 2x4gigs
what brand is that 4gig stick that u used earlier from best buy(you said that one posted 4 gigs no problems by itself)..... maybe your patriot RAM just wont play nice with that MOBO... (corsair overclocks better, and works very well with z78-z68 chip-sets but that's just an opinion) just for shoots and giggles I would see if you can get another 4gig from Best-buy and see if you can pair them together.. at-least see if you have the same problem.. while running dual channel,,, if they both show 8 gigs total you can always take it back if the clockspeed isn't what u want.... then you can exchange your Patriot ram with newegg .. :D

This is the ram I bought from best buy: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/PNY+-+O...316525&skuId=2327496&st=Pny 4gb ram&cp=1&lp=3
Tonight i will see if I can fit this type of ram in another machine around the house. I will do some more testing tonight and maybe even go out and buy another 4gb stick from because either way I could use it for testing purposes or i may have to use it if I return this ram. But for now, keep the suggestions coming :thumbup:

I should also mention that I am running the latest daft update from the database , F11, and have confirmed that with touchbios in windows

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back