Asus Geforce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hey guys,

So I'm thinking of trying out a hackintosh install of Mountain Lion. I'm currently running Win 7 Ultimate on the following hardware :

• Graphics :xfx radeon hd 6950 2gb
  • Processor : i7-2600k (Socket 1155)
  • Motherboard : Asus p8p67 evo b3
  • Hdd: Kingston Hyperx SSD 120GB
  • Memory: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600mhz 16GB CL9

From the googling I've done, I really can't find any info that this shouldn't work, but I'm thinking I'm better of asking the experts, right !
Since I've already got Win 7 running on this SSD, I'm thinking of buying a second one for Mountain Lion. After installing ML to this new SSD, I just have to change the boot priority to get both Win7 and ML to work separately right? I also have two 7200 hdd's with a lot of data but formatted in ntfs. Will that be an issue with Mountain Lion (read/write to those discs)?

Do I have to do anything with my BIOS (except setting hdd's to ahci) ? Update to the latest fw perhaps, but do I need a custom DSDT file or can I run it as UEFI ? (<-- not 100% sure of the meaning of this, but something to do with boot from what I can gather)

Sorry for all the noob questions guys, just trying to gather some info before I get started.

Thanks !

So looks like my graphics card isn't really that compatible. But this will mostly be used for music production, so no top of the line model will be needed. Might as well get one of the cheaper Nvidia cards listed in the guide ? As long as it can handle 2560x1440 or 1600....

So looks like my graphics card isn't really that compatible. But this will mostly be used for music production, so no top of the line model will be needed. Might as well get one of the cheaper Nvidia cards listed in the guide ? As long as it can handle 2560x1440 or 1600....

I hope that you found this board then : http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/

Adrian B

EDIT - if you need DisplayPort for that monitor resolution, then this is the best option I understand : EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost Superclocked Nvidia Graphics Card from the buyers guide.

I have noted a few comments about the EVGA DisplatPort working properly under 10.8 where as a number of the others proved useless in that regard. Best do some more checking on this before spending any hard earned cash. Get it confirmed from a couple of sources.

I hope that you found this board then : http://www.tonymacx86.com/music/

Adrian B

EDIT - if you need DisplayPort for that monitor resolution, then this is the best option I understand : EVGA 02G-P4-3658-KR GeForce GTX 650Ti Boost Superclocked Nvidia Graphics Card from the buyers guide.

I have noted a few comments about the EVGA DisplatPort working properly under 10.8 where as a number of the others proved useless in that regard. Best do some more checking on this before spending any hard earned cash. Get it confirmed from a couple of sources.

Thanks for the pointer on the music forum Adrian ! I'm currently only using the DVI port for that resolution, so shouldn't be a problem hopefully. But from what I gather from the buyers guide....the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA should work without problems on a hackintosh build, right ? If I only have to buy that and a second SSL for the Mac OS it won't be too bad moneywise...

Edit: Might even go for Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 2GB (or any other brand really.) I just want something that works OTB. Not gonna do a lot of gaming on this machine. Any recommandations guys ??

Thanks for the pointer on the music forum Adrian ! I'm currently only using the DVI port for that resolution, so shouldn't be a problem hopefully. But from what I gather from the buyers guide....the Gigabyte GeForce GTX 660 2GB PhysX CUDA should work without problems on a hackintosh build, right ? If I only have to buy that and a second SSL for the Mac OS it won't be too bad moneywise...

Edit: Might even go for Gigabyte GeForce GTX 650 2GB (or any other brand really.) I just want something that works OTB. Not gonna do a lot of gaming on this machine. Any recommandations guys ??

The buyers guide lists a number of options. If you have any particular requirements then it might be worth posting in the graphics section of the forum.

Adrian B

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back