Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Noobie Build and Questions…???

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
TRON
CPU
EnCom
Graphics
The Grid
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I will try and keep this as concise and short as possible.

I bought an Apple Macbook Pro 5 years ago for the “hefty” price of $2500. I am lucky and it has performed flawlessly up until a week ago. I took it into apple and they did a diagnostic test. The graphics card is bad and its life is over. I am going to recycle this MBP and get as much as I can for it.

The problem:
5 years ago…I was not computer/tech savvy. I knew very little when it came to computers, electronics and technology. Furthermore…I did not know what kind of computer I needed and how to go about buying it in order to get my money’s worth and the “best bang for your buck”. At the time…I did not know that laptops CAN NOT match the performance, speed and reliability a Desktop computer has. Also…I was going to school/college and the “portability” aspect of a laptop SOLD ME. I wanted to take it everywhere I went and take notes where ever and whenever I wanted. So…I was like…F@#K the price tag…Let’s get an Apple MBP!!!

Fast forward 5 years and I have acquired enough computer/tech info to know that I should have never spent $2500 on a laptop. Even though it lasted me 5 years and had no failures, viruses or hiccups…I feel I still paid too much at the time. Now…I regret it and I felt that I should have gone with a desktop computer instead of a laptop. Sure…at the time…the portability aspect was very important. But now that I look at it…I should have sacrificed portability for more speed, performance, durability and reliability…at a MUCH LOWER PRICE POINT!!!

As of now…the portability aspect of a laptop is not as important to me. With the invention of the IPad and lower priced MBP’s on the market now...I feel I can get something for portability, if the need arises.

If I would have known all of this 5 years ago…I would have just built my own computer for $1000-1500 and could have saved myself $1000 dollars extra!!!!! OR…build a GREAT desktop computer for the same price as that MBP 5 years ago.

Now that I am in the market for a new computer…I am looking to build a Hackintosh!!!

Why a Hackintosh: After having my MBP for 5 years…I have gotten used to a Mac Operating System and CAN NOT live without it. I DO NOT like windows anymore. As of now…I am typing this post on my brother’s windows desktop and I hate navigating around it. I am not bashing…I just think the MAC OS is simpler and just more efficient in terms of my work flow, tasks and what I like to do. I don’t think I could ever go back to windows.

My Hackintosh requirements/ uses :
1. I mostly do general web browsing, YouTube watching, music playing with ITunes and word, excel, PowerPoint documents. I will usually have 4-5 windows/programs running at the most at one time.
2. I am looking to make a home studio and produce music/beats with Logic Pro. I want a Hackintosh that will be able to handle running Logic Pro plus some of the programs/applications outlined above.
3. I do some video editing…not heavy by any means… but I want the Hackintosh to be able to handle Final Cut Pro or IMovie.
4. I barely do any gaming. But if the interest arises…I want the Hackintosh to be able to handle it. Mainly DOTA 2 and World of Warcraft if I do any gaming.

Questions/Parts Suggestions:
1. CPU: I know I want Intel. Dual or quad? I3 or i7???
2. Motherboard: ASUS, Intel or GIGAByte…???
3. Form Factor: I don’t like Big bulky towers. I want MAC mini or close to it form factor. Micro ATX??? Mini ITX??? Can I go smaller…???
4. Case: Dependent on which form factor I choose right?
5. GPU: EVGA, ASUS or Nvidia…???
6. Cooling: Do small form factor cases/builds have enough space for a CPU cooler???
7. PSU: wattage – 600 good enough? 700-800 maybe? 900+?!?!?!
8. I already know that I am going to try to get the highest and best SSD, RAM and 1-2 TB hard drive I can afford.
9. Anything Else…???

Thanks for ALL the help/suggestions/tips/advice. Sorry for a long post.

Quorra

3 years ago i bought a top of the line 17 macbook pro with everything, updated cpu, ram, HDD and the matte screen, with apple care and everything that goes along with it and spent close to 5k. When i consider what this laptop has done it was money well spent. I have replaced the ram (only to get to 16 gig) and an SSD as the 750 gig wasn't holding up to FCPX render jobs.

2012 i built my first hack and from experience i can offer the following advice.

1: go the i7 don't sweat it just do it.
2 gigabyte mobo again just do it they are the best for new hackintosh builders i am told.

everything else is personal preference but a corsair liquid unit is a great option.

Research everything first pick your parts from the buyers guide and research research research research. Research every part and make sure you see a build where someone has used the part. Look over the user build and golden build section and try to build a system like those and follow what they do, that way if you mirror what they do you shouldn't have too many issues.

Its a great experience building your own machine.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back