Contribute
Register

Hackintosh noob need help...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just realized that I'm asking questions I can research now. So could you just answer those last questions that I just asked and that's pretty much it. This is really the only forum where I can get answers and I will be back.

:clap: :clap: Thank you very much for helping me with my questions. :clap: :clap:

Sly14Cat said:
I just realized that I'm asking questions I can research now. So could you just answer those last questions that I just asked and that's pretty much it. This is really the only forum where I can get answers and I will be back.

:clap: :clap: Thank you very much for helping me with my questions. :clap: :clap:

I'm stealing this idea from someone else:
Looks like... *puts glasses on*
I know more than nothing. YYYEEEEEAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

:D

P.S. I edited my last post - it should fully answer your questions now.

Could you clarify this? You install windows after partitioning but before installing?

knourooz said:
You FULLY set up Windows after partitioning (not installing) using the OS X install USB.

Sly14Cat said:
Could you clarify this? You install windows after partitioning but before installing?

knourooz said:
You FULLY set up Windows after partitioning (not installing) using the OS X install USB.

You boot into the Lion Install USB and from the Utilities menu choose "Disk Utility". From Dosk Utility, your format then partition your Hard Drive into 2 partitions: OS X and Windows (order doesn't matter). OS X should be HFS+ and Windows FAT. You then shut down and boot into the Windows 7 install media. You install to the Windows partition, then you boot into it and update. Just get Windows fully working (i.e. install ur pgorams, apply your customizations, etc.). Then shut down and boot into the Lion install USB and install Lionto your OS X drive.

This way Windows is fully updated.

Okay thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna have to get Snow Leopard then update to Lion and do some more research. You can install programs on windows after hackintoshing, right?

Sly14Cat said:
Okay thanks for clearing that up. I'm gonna have to get Snow Leopard then update to Lion and do some more research. You can install programs on windows after hackintoshing, right?

Yes.

So is there absolutely no way to keep Windows 7 intact and then install OSX to a different partition like it does in this guide?

Eunicom said:
So is there absolutely no way to keep Windows 7 intact and then install OSX to a different partition like it does in this guide?

The setup detailed there is what I attempted to get across in my previous post (looks like I wasn't too clear :banghead: ).

Dual-booting with Windows only renders certain Windows updates incapable of installing (Service Packs are the only ones I can think of right now). This is why you install Windows before OS X; so that you may install updates and get everything working before there is a possibility of something not working.

Unfortunately, dual-booting off a single drive also makes the slightest of Windows erros (i.e. BootMGR is missing, press CTRL+ALT+DELETE to restart) requiring a full-on reinstall of everything, since Windows discs refuse work when encountering OS X on any drive. This is why any single-drive system will be extremely volatile.

Also know that whatever partition scheme you set up, you'll have to live with it, as unlike HFS+ (Mac OS X Journaled), NTFS partitions cannot be (or rarely) resized.

Ah yes im having that service pack problem with my system even though it is a dual HDD system. In order for the service pack to install correctly the drive has to be the primary drive in the bios, i have just been to lazy to change it. (same thing goes with reinstalling all my hardware from my install :p)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back