N/A
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello there,

Amazing source of information on here but I am having problems choosing my Graphics card for my Hackintosh, here are the details of my build so far.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k Costa Rica
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz

I'm looking at something that will support games and will future proof myself a little. I'm looking at paying about £150 top ($242 roughly). To future proof myself I've set the below requirements

2GB DDR5
DirectX 11
PCI-E

Other than that I'm quite open to what it could be! Let me know what you think is best. I'll be installing Mac Snow Leopard using iBoot if that makes much difference? I was interested in the Radeon 7850 but as far as I understand Mac OS isn't compatible with this yet?

Open to suggestions! Thank you all :)

Hello there,

Amazing source of information on here but I am having problems choosing my Graphics card for my Hackintosh, here are the details of my build so far.

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H61M-USB3-B3
Processor: Intel Core i5 2500k Costa Rica
RAM: Corsair Vengeance 8gb 1600mhz

I'm looking at something that will support games and will future proof myself a little. I'm looking at paying about £150 top ($242 roughly). To future proof myself I've set the below requirements

2GB DDR5
DirectX 11
PCI-E

Other than that I'm quite open to what it could be! Let me know what you think is best. I'll be installing Mac Snow Leopard using iBoot if that makes much difference? I was interested in the Radeon 7850 but as far as I understand Mac OS isn't compatible with this yet?

Open to suggestions! Thank you all :)

None of the 7xxx cards are supported in any OS X version. Also, I don't think there are any cards to match your requirements supported in SL. So install Snow Leopard, update it to 10.6.6 or later to get the App Store and purchase/download Mountain Lion install app and immediately upgrade. Then you can use any of the cards here - http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac that will match your requirements.

Ahhh I see! Thanks for that, shame the 7xxx series aren't included but thats fine. I've done a bit more research and I'm looking into the GTX 560ti now, what do people think of these? Here's the specification of the card I'm looking at, it's not a little too dated or lacking anything is it?

GeForce GTX 560Ti 2048MB GDDR5

- Core Clock: 822MHz
- Memory: 2048MB GDDR5
- Memory Clock: 4008MHz (Effective)
- Memory Interface: 256-Bit
- Processing Cores: 384
- Shader Clock: 1645MHz
- Bus Type: PCI-Express 2.0
- Display Connectors: 2x Dual-Link DVI-I & 1x HDMI 1.4a (Includes HDMI & VGA Adapters)
- SLI Ready
- HDCP Capable
- DirectX 11 Support
- OpenGL 4.0 Support
- PhysX Enabled
- CUDA Enabled
- 3D Vision Enabled
- NVIDIA Surround Enabled
- Warranty: 2 years

I've found a 560ti at quite a decent price! Looked at a few benchmarks but it doesn't quite compare to a Radeon 7850, close though I suppose. I guess the GTX 660 ti is the next card up from what I am looking at?

I've found a 560ti at quite a decent price! Looked at a few benchmarks but it doesn't quite compare to a Radeon 7850, close though I suppose. I guess the GTX 660 ti is the next card up from what I am looking at?
I've now been looking at the GTX 660's, on the Tony Mac recommondation guide they recommend the GTX 660ti, what's the difference with the ti? Can I use just a 660 ok?

I doubt this will work in Snow Leopard. You may need to get a 210 or or something to get you setup and if you go to mountain lion then the 660 should be fine.

-=Mark=-

Is 250gts better for first setup than 650ti? I mean, till I do the update...

Not sure what you mean by better. But I don't think 660 will work at all in SL.

250 is same series as 210 so it should work, but not 100% sure on fully supported. Usually it will since others work, but search forum for others using you exact card or at least GTS250.

If you mean is a 250 more powerful than 210, then yes it is much more powerful, but probably a lot more expensive.

-=Mark=-

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back