Graphics
Nvidia GTX 970
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey, just seeking a little help. I've been running my hackintosh for some good time with no problems. However it started freezing very often, this has never happened before. The only thing that has changed since my system was stable are the following.

Instead of using a 1080p TV with HDMI I am now using a 1440p Monitor with Display port 1.2
I have more usb devices connected but not many more.

I did pirate Metro Last Light to test it out before I buy the game (It's super scary and I like it a lot, I will buy) I was instructed to do this to get the game to work:

""Open terminal and paste this:

xattr -d com.apple.quarantine

Single space and then drag the app to terminal, now hit enter.""

When I did that the first time I opened the game it froze, then I reset my computer and played the game and it worked for quite some time at least 2 and a half hours. I was hooked to the game. I've got quite far and don't want to delete the game and save file. However if it's necessary I will delete it and play the game on Windows until I have the budget to buy it from the app store.

I will also mention that the computer tends to freeze a lot when iTunes and Safari are open. I think it's iTunes though.

Also I forgot to mention when the computer froze the first time I opened the game every time I reset my computer it would continue to freeze at the desktop after 20 seconds. My solution to this was to force quit every application. iTunes was one of them.

I only mention iTunes every time the computer freezes right now I'm typing this with just safari open to test the iTunes variable.

Any help would be appreciated.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, sounds like a Z97X/Multibeast issue.

I used to have these with my Z97X UD5H Black Server edition using Multibeast. Very so often things would freeze, normally after a reboot. Once an hour (or so) had passed things were stable, but for that first hours it was a lottery.

Reluctantly I was dragged kicking and screaming into using Clover. Since then I've had a stable system, no freezes, no hang ups, basically its just worked as I'd like.

I was not keen to do this as I knew Multibeast, however it worked for me.

YMMV,

Rob

I will second the clover install on stability. It's my first hackintosh with a u97x UDH5 motherboard (following suggested Customac pro components on Tonymac) and I initially installed with multibeast, given the support and topics on this forum were so well document. Clover was a bit of a mystery early on for me and I did try but failed. However, I did run into significant freezing problems with multibeast which I thought was graphics related, then ram related, but all my attempts to fix did not work. As a last resort did sit down and finally learn how to make conversion over to clover and have been freeze-free and stable. A few kernel panics here and there, but nothing as frequent on the multibeast installation. Be forewarned it did take me several attempts to figure out how to configure clover, it's not as user-friendly as the mutlibeast route. More than willing to aid in getting you transitioned if needed. Just ask!

One thing for other tonymac folks. Any reason why the freezes on multibeast do not result in a reboot and report log. Clover has been nice in the sense that on the occasion when I do panic, the computer automatically reboots and throws a nice dump for sending to apple. I never send, but if allows me to quickly determine why the panic occurred without having to dig through log files. It's a nice feature about Clover IMHO.

Good luck and keep at it. Stability can be had :).

Best,

J

Thank you both, I guess I will deal with it for now and in the mean time learn how to do a clover install. Would I need to start all over from scratch? Or can I transition into clover without redoing the OS?

I still have my unibeast usb and I can move all my windows games off the SSD to the hdd for the moment to practice using clover. If you could pm me some solid walk through instructions I would appreciate a lot. I wonder if clover also would fix iMessage and sound stopping after sleep mode.

Well looks like that's not happening now. Restarted the system and tried to start up in safe mode -x thinking that would allow me to install clover without any freezes. Well that ****ed everything up. Can't boot with nv_disable=1 -x -v or anything, with igfx enabled or not the OS is f***ed. I'm on windows now. Seriously thinking of giving up, all the trouble this is giving me.

Maybe I'll do a re install with clover down the road but for now I'm with windows. I will miss how fast safari is, using logic, the amazing notification center, having bluetooth (the wifi bluetooth card only works with wifi on the windows side... I guess I can get a usb bluetooth thing) ahhh theres so many great things about OS X but it's just not stable at all even using the best hackintosh hardware. Or at least multibeast isn't stable. I am not the type to give up but I'm taking a break and going to clover next time. I'll leave the ssd how it is and copy the files over when I get a clover install running on my other drive.

I would just buy an actual Mac but the equivalent price of my system I'd get way less powerful hardware. I wouldn't be just fine with a Mac mini either. Apple supports amazing user friendly but powerful programs but I guess you have to pay the cost. Apple could charge $250 for an OS X disc made to run on any hardware and many would buy just so they can have a fully customizable machine

Not sure what you have done but sorry to hear that.

I know from experience that you can boot from the Clover USB stick and have the internal graphics card working on an empty machine in 60 mins or so.

I did a Clover install around 3-4 weeks ago and it does work. The Clover configuration is not as full as the Multibeast one BUT I think that your board is basically the same as mine (different graphics ports). I installed to a bare disk to make sure it was clean and then worked my way up installing the 280X cards.

The only boot flag I used was maxmem=8192. No DSDT's, no other flags. It was as clean as anything. I would start from a simple hardware config. Pull the nVidia cards as that simply confuses things. Work slowly. From memory the only complicated thing was which config.plist to use. The rest was pretty much by the guide. I have 280X cards so that was my issue.

Have a think and see if its any different in the morning.

Rob

Yeah dude I'm definitely going to work on it. I work all this week and need some time. I'm just gonna relax and play some windows games and enjoy my new monitor. Sunday through Tuesday I'm off of work so I will take it nice and slow so I don't get angry. I'll remove the 970 and do an install with Intel graphics using clover. Should I follow the guide or are their any exact instructions you could supply me with since we have the same board.

I won't have any trouble with the 970 I've got it working multiple times all I need to do is put it in, switch bios settings to PCIe 1, disable IGFX, boot using nv_disable=1, install web drivers, restart, boot with the boot flag to enable drivers and then switch to the web drivers and I would be good.

Been away and sorry to hear that things have gone off. I did try the conversion from a multibeast setup after I had my freezing issues figuring that it would help. It didn't and I ended up much in the same position as you with a borked system. I ended up reinstalling (actually a couple of times, mostly due to ignorance about how to properly setup my system). Here's the gist of what I did to install.

1. This post was key for installing clover onto a USB key for installation. http://www.tonymacx86.com/mavericks...-how-install-os-x-mavericks-using-clover.html. A few points to note.
2. This allowed me to get Yosemite installed with minimal issue. One aspect was that the first install phase (it had two) led to a very long what appeared to be stuck at 1 second remaining final install moment on the first pass. This eventually (like 2 hours later) rebooted and was able to continue.
3. Once I was installed, all booting done via the EFI on the USB stick at this point mind you, it then had to install the clover boot loader to my Yosemite install disk (basically create a EFI partition on my main Yose drive). Here I chose UEFI as my Z97X board easily handled it.
4. Again a few files were needed to allow for booting (see post) as well as a stock config.plist file (config.plist-Standard.zip). Rebooted and all was well.
5. As for iMessage and FaceTime. I had an old MacPro that had been retired (actually the north bridge temp controller blew out and reported incorrect temps causing excessive fans to run, hence what spawned my first build) that I pulled the ROM and MLB information from. I had previously activated these at Apple, so it was just a matter of entering these into my config.plist and SMBIOS (see this post for an exhaustive Message discussion: http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-help/110471-how-fix-imessage.html, especially Chapter 7.1 was very helpful).
7. Audio was the only thing that did not work after clover fresh install. For that I followed this post (http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/143757-audio-realtek-alc-applehda-guide.html#post886744), specifically point 3 (cloverALC/Clover patched section). Fairly simple once the script was downloaded. A few questions, a reboot and then I was off.
6. Audio loss on sleep was a bit of a problem for me. Did eventually get it fixed, but it required the use of this fix (http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/151504-no-audio-after-sleep-wake-realtek-alc-applehda-fixes.html, see the section on EAPD-Codec-Commander). I did first try the appleHDAreset which basically unloads and reloads the AppleHDA.kext which has helped others, not in my case, unfortunately (using ALC1150 and reloading helps (see this post: http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/144256-no-audio-after-sleep-yosemite-alc892-3.html). Unfortunately, that did not work for me either. I also had some strange USB power issues that impacted my hub that powered my keyboard. Also had some issues where my music server (subsonic) could not wake the computer for internet access, so in the end I determined that sleep was not worth it and just went to a screen only sleep, kept the computer running. I am sure that it is fixable, but perhaps for another day. Regardless, check out the post and read, read, read. There's lots of good info in there and there are folks that are infinitely more knowledgeable then myself.

Best,

J

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back