Contribute
Register

Hackintosh freezes in few second or minutes (OS X 10.9 on Dell Optiplex 780)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Dell Optiplex 780 MB
CPU
Intel Core 2 Duo E7500
Graphics
nVidia Geforce 210
Hello,
I've installed Mac OS X on old Optiplex 780 and everything worked fine. It worked great, I could use everything with no problem. However I tried messing with configuration and it didn't even boot. It wasn't worth trying to edit those config files from another PC, so I went and reinstalled the whole OS. Oh boy, that was a huge mistake. No matter what I tried, how many times did I try changing BIOS settings, swapping and removing RAM sticks, reinstalling again and again... Installed it never worked more than 2 minutes. Interestingly, installation from USB went fine, so if that installation OS has same kernel as installed OS, it probably can't be the cause of my problem.

Have you got any ideas, why, after reinstalling, it stopped working? I've found same problem on Apple forums, where it was happening to a real Mac and solution was easy - replacing the HDD, because the old one had gone silently bad, although it was still doing it's job somehow. I consider this very well as a possible cause of my problem, because HDD in my Hackintosh is from January 2008...

Thank you for all replies!

Hello,
However I tried messing with configuration and it didn't even boot.
why mess around with it?

assume you don't have a working backup on usb?

why mess around with it?

assume you don't have a working backup on usb?
Well, I was trying to force resolution as drivers weren't working at that moment. I don't know what went wrong.

Sadly no, I didn't have a backup. I was planning to make one after reinstallation so this doesn't happen again, but as I wrote, reinstallation wasn't successful.

Hello,
I've installed Mac OS X on old Optiplex 780 and everything worked fine. It worked great, I could use everything with no problem. However I tried messing with configuration and it didn't even boot. It wasn't worth trying to edit those config files from another PC, so I went and reinstalled the whole OS. Oh boy, that was a huge mistake. No matter what I tried, how many times did I try changing BIOS settings, swapping and removing RAM sticks, reinstalling again and again... Installed it never worked more than 2 minutes. Interestingly, installation from USB went fine, so if that installation OS has same kernel as installed OS, it probably can't be the cause of my problem.

Have you got any ideas, why, after reinstalling, it stopped working? I've found same problem on Apple forums, where it was happening to a real Mac and solution was easy - replacing the HDD, because the old one had gone silently bad, although it was still doing it's job somehow. I consider this very well as a possible cause of my problem, because HDD in my Hackintosh is from January 2008...

Thank you for all replies!
I tried installing it on different HDD but still no change.

I tried installing it on different HDD but still no change.
what make and model hard drive are you installing to?

also you haven't zipped and uploaded your EFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back