Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hi everyone , i want to build a hackintosh for video editing for working in adobe after effects /photoshop/premiere and the most important final cut and motion in 4k and i would like some advice about the hardware ,and i'm not sure about the cpu cooler and the motherboard here's what i selected :

Motherboard : GA-X79-UP4 (or ASUS RAMPAGE IV GENE X79)
CPU : Intel core i7-4930k
GPU : EVGA GTX780 3GB D5
RAM : Crucial Ballistics sport XT 32GO (4*8)
SSD : Samsung 840 EVO 120Go (for os and softwares)
HDD : 2 Seagate Barracuda 3to
CPU Cooler : Corsair H60 (Water) (not sure about it )
Power Supply : Corsair AX 760 watt modular
Wifi card : TP-Link PCI Express
LG BluRay Optical Drive
Case : Fractal Design r4
Blackmagic Decklink 4K Extreme

Thanks

Why buy outdated parts? Might as well go with the X99 and DDR4 memory. Boards and CPUs don't cost any more than the X79s do and seem to work as well from what I am reading here on the forum.
You might want to look at a few of the X99 builds that are showing up.

OK,

If you are going to use FCP X, dump the 780 and get either a 7970 (or 280x more or less the same card), or better still get two of them. The 780 card is not a good card for FCP X, might be brilliant for Adobe Premiere but if FCP X is your video editing program of choice the 780 is not a very good at all. Its a brilliant card for just about everything else, just not FCP X. My twin ancient 5770 cards are faster with FCP X than the 780 :) Also if you use FCP X turn off any internal graphics card as FCP X sometimes gets confused over different GPU architectures and can sometimes use the internal graphics for rendering. Thats a great one to waste a couple of hours working out why your rendering is now 10x slower :)

I'd also increase the size of your SSD to a minimum of 250GB, the difference in price over the 120GB version is negligible.

If you are thinking about dual graphics cards to make FCP X fly, your case and PSU might be marginal. If you go water cooling there's a lot of cables and I struggle to fit everything in my Coolermaster 690 case which is about the same size as the Fractal case.

Make sure the memory combinations are the ones the manufacturer has tested. Lots of issues over 32GB memory on some boards.

Rob

This is my first build I always worked with a Mac Pro , I use Final Cut Pro 7 which is the main reason why I'm building a hackintosh I also work on 3D motion design in after effects and cinema 4d , I would like to stop wasting time on rendering I also work with a lot of big files so that's why I was thinking about the seagate barracuda hdds and i want a silent case and fans that will cool the components and I also need a FireWire 800 port.

so what do you think I should get ?

thanks again

FCP X is designed to work with the AMD GPU's. The ones that appear to work best at the moment at the are the R280x (which is a more up to date version of the 7970). The nVidia cards work very well with Adobe Premiere I am told, I have no idea as I only use FCP X.

The R290x appears to have issues as does the R295x. These may or may not get resolved in Yosemite, but my money is on NOT getting resolved.

I use two 512GB SSD's for my main work and use a 1.5TB disk for slower work and stuff that I don't immediately need. That model works for me, but my main focus on my Mac is software development using very large data sets, a typical data set is 140GB (and by the end of the year it will be 220GB) in one run. This takes 8-10hours to run and disk IO is pretty much a bottleneck, hence the SSDs.

FCP X is a secondary activity but I want it to run as fast as possible. Twin graphics cards (must be the same AMD architecture will work significantly faster than one, so if you can afford dual R280x cards, use those. They need a lot of power so at least an 850W PSU and I would suggest a bigger case. I don't understand why people get emotionally attached to cases and their design, any decent case that is designed by sensible people is fine, but you need to check if it can handle multiple graphics boards AND large PSU AND all the cable routing. I don't water cool, I have a large Noctura fan and its pretty silent. One less thing to worry about.

Start with what you want to do, is it rendering, is it design, is it development and work from there. I am happy with older and dirt cheap 5770's as they allow me to run multiple monitors with zero effort. I run three for development, they work out of the box with zero boot flags and zero configuration, they allow me to run the Bruce X benchmark in 32 secs, which is pretty damm fast and they cost me $50 each. I don't play games, and multiple monitors for development is very important to me as is fast disk (and lots of it). So my machine is great for my usage, but you need to work out specifically what you want to do and build your machine around that. This forum has lots of experts who know what they are talking about (I am not one of them), if you present an informed and sensible question and show that you have researched the topic, you'll get sensible answers from people who know. The worst questions are vague and ask questions that five mins of searching will give you the answer to.

My personal view is that you need to make sure the GPU, CPU, MB and memory all work together for what you want. Hard disk, SSD, PC cases, PSU etc just fall out of the first piece of work. Most branded stuff works very well, if you want a purple backlit perspex case then fine, just don't build your business case around it.

Rob.

thanks for your quick answer,

i am mainly using it for video editing in final cut pro 7 (not final cut pro X) i also work sometimes in premiere but mainly in FCP 7 my main camera is a sony hdcam 900 so that's why i need a blackmagic decklink card i also work on after effects and cinema 4D for creating 3d and 2d openers ,intros etc...

So i am not sure about the cpu , gpu and mb , honestly i'm a bit lost right now i don't really care about the case design as long as it's silent , the noctua cpu fan looks great , i was thinking about puting my footage on the hdds seagate barracuda .

Does Final cut pro 7 need AMD gpu ?

No idea about FCP 7 as I only have FCP X and never used it before. I would think it is as the main cards for the Mac pro were 5770's and better, but don't build you buying decision on my lack of knowledge :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back