Contribute
Register

Hackintosh for the Pro Audio professional

Status
Not open for further replies.
The problem you are going to run into using a Win8/8.1 ISO is that Win8 requires a license key to even get it to install.
ExFAT is not same as FAT32. Suggest you use a completely separate drive to install Windows on. Then you don't have to worry about formatting it with OS X disk utility.

Hi guys, finally I have some extra time to continue working on my Hackintosh (college student finals week dilemma LOL).

Actually my friend passed me Win7 DVD. And once I get into installing it, I faced this problem.

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 2.43.02 AM.jpg
I changed the HDD into MS-DOS(FAT) and then use the Win7 installer to change it became NTFS.

Photo Dec 15, 2 46 19 AM.jpg
But the Win7 says my HDD is in GPT.

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 2.57.58 AM.jpg
So I tried to format the HDD again but only GPT and Apple PM can choose. I have no idea what can I do next.

Photo Dec 15, 2 46 04 AM.jpg
And, what is the EFI thing on my HDD???

Wondering at this stage, what can I do so that I can install Win7 and go activate the TB firmware because I seriously need to work on the devices that are running TB.

Thanks again!!!

In the disk utility app in the left pane select the HDD you want to format for windows by clicking on the drive itself, not a partition listed under the drive.
In the right pane under current, select to create a new partition, then underneath the partition window click on option button. Select MBR from the list, then select MSDOS FAT as format type for the entire drive. When finished, shut down.
Disconnect all drives except the one you want to install Win7 on and boot the Win7 install media.
When you boot Windows, you should see only one EFI partition of 207MB listed on your HDD plus the rest of the drive as a singel partition. Click on the advanced button in the HDD selection screen, click on the partition, click delete and confirm, then click on the EFI partition to select it, click on delete and confirm.
Now click on format and when it is finished, install your Win7.

In the disk utility app in the left pane select the HDD you want to format for windows by clicking on the drive itself, not a partition listed under the drive.
In the right pane under current, select to create a new partition, then underneath the partition window click on option button. Select MBR from the list, then select MSDOS FAT as format type for the entire drive. When finished, shut down.
Disconnect all drives except the one you want to install Win7 on and boot the Win7 install media.
When you boot Windows, you should see only one EFI partition of 207MB listed on your HDD plus the rest of the drive as a singel partition. Click on the advanced button in the HDD selection screen, click on the partition, click delete and confirm, then click on the EFI partition to select it, click on delete and confirm.
Now click on format and when it is finished, install your Win7.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Windows7 is working fine now! And I able to activate the Thunderbolt firmware!

Screen Shot 2014-12-15 at 5.28.01 PM.jpg
But Mavericks still showing there's no devices found under TB.

BUT, I have to do hot/cold plugin my UAD2 Satellite Thunderbolt & Apogee Symphony 64 ThunderBridge in Win7 first for EVERY TIME, then reboot Mavericks so that both devices can run.

Is that a better way to solve this problem?
OR, I can use Parallel Desktop so that I can save more time on activating my devices in Win7 (I don't really need to use Win7)?

*UAD2 Satellite Thunderbolt & Apogee Symphony 64 ThunderBridge only compatible with Mac OS, which means I don't have any Thunderbolt External Hard-drive to test out other things in Win7. Sorry.

Thanks again for teaching me so much stuff, guys! Appreciate it!

Last edited:
THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

Windows7 is working fine now! And I able to activate the Thunderbolt firmware!

View attachment 118082
But Mavericks still showing there's no devices found under TB.

BUT, I have to do hot/cold plugin my UAD2 Satellite Thunderbolt & Apogee Symphony 64 ThunderBridge in Win7 first for EVERY TIME, then reboot Mavericks so that both devices can run.

Is that a better way to solve this problem?
OR, I can use Parallel Desktop so that I can save more time on activating my devices in Win7 (I don't really need to use Win7)?

*UAD2 Satellite Thunderbolt & Apogee Symphony 64 ThunderBridge only compatible with Mac OS, which means I don't have any Thunderbolt External Hard-drive to test out other things in Win7. Sorry.

Thanks again for teaching me so much stuff, guys! Appreciate it!
So far, you have to have all of your TB devices connected when you boot to get them recognized.
Hot plugging does not work at all.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP!!!

I have exact same problem here. everything is working great! just this BIG problem. Is there any Workaround? because i see people using same setup and never have to go back to windows again after first run!

I am not be able to set up my motu 828 mk3 Hybrid via USB. I have installed drivers from the motu web for my sound card directly in my hackintosh and I can see the MOtu 828 in MIDI AUDIO CONFIGURATION (utily application) and in System preference, but I am not be able to hear nothing from the Motu 828 and If I try to set up the MOtu as generic OUT and try to hear something from youtube, the file in youtube doesn't work and of course I can't hear anything. I tried to change the setup in Motu but without success. Perharps I have to install some kexts ? or what else can I do? please Help me !!! my PC/mac is ASUS N550-CN015H i7 4700 hq 2.4Ghz 4 core
8 gb ram Mavericks 10.9 on SSD Samsung 840 pro via USB

Thank you Sonia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back