Contribute
Register

Hackintosh for SuperCollider, Max/MSP, audio production? (TB3 + AVB hardware)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Aorus Gaming 9 x299
CPU
i9-7980XE
Graphics
Titan Xp
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Hey guys,

It's been a few years since I have done a build, and I'm pretty out of the loop. I've been lurking for the last two weeks or so, gleaning info, but I am not 100% sure on a few things.

I bought a macbook a month ago for some work stuff, and I am honestly blown away by how good it is for workflow management. I've definitely been missing out...

With the recent shift to 64bit only in MacOS, it seems like there might be some compatibility issues with the software I use, and I'm working on that. Are there any super compelling reasons (from a hardware compatibility standpoint) to use the latest and greatest MacOS?

I'm honestly tempted to just wait for the new Mac Pro to come out, since that is the performance territory I would expect to need, but I do have two x299 systems that might be usable for a hackintosh. One is the asrock x299e itx, and the other is the aorus gaming 9 motherboard. One runs a 7980xe, and the other is a 7800x. Both have 64gb ram, and 2 1tb nvme drives. I have a titan x pascal, but from what I have been reading, I'll need to pick up an AMD card for installing the OS at a minimum.

My main priorities are high CPU core count, AVB support, and thunderbolt 3 support. I would like a VERY simple setup if possible.

Does it make sense for me to try to an x299 hackintosh? Is that doable as a first project in a few years? If I dedicated a single day to it, should I expect to be able to get a stable build? I have an i210 nic that I use right now, but I don't know about TB3. Any thoughts on Thunderbolt 3?

Sorry for rambling, just trying to get a sense for the lay of the land.

bob

Does it make sense for me to try to an x299 hackintosh? Is that doable as a first project in a few years?
I don't think expecting to get a fully working stable build that quickly is realistic. Especially if you've been out of the loop. It would be better to go with Mojave over Catalina if you need to run 32 bit apps. Z370/90 builds have much less complexity but can still be challenging enough.

Have you read through the Asus X299 thread by kgp ?

@trs96 Thanks for the feedback. I really appreciate the upfront assessment.

I'll put this on the back burner and see if I can get everything working on the itx board sometime before 2020, but I won't rely on it much at all.

Since it will take a while anyways, I might as well make it a fun thread with case mods etc.

Thanks again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back