Contribute
Register

Hackintosh for Logic Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
My point is that laptops are more of a PITA than building a desktop to run OS X. I'd never buy anything other than a Mac for a laptop because nothing else compares especially for running OS X. Desktop builds are a bit easier to manage.

Definitely agree with that! Just didn't want to confuse nvus and have him/her think we meant get a mac over a desktop hackintosh due to stability.

My point is that laptops are more of a PITA than building a desktop to run OS X. I'd never buy anything other than a Mac for a laptop because nothing else compares especially for running OS X. Desktop builds are a bit easier to manage.
It doesn't have to be a laptop. A laptop is just what I have available now. If I can build a new rig and have it run Logic Pro flawlessly, then I would rather do that to save a lot of money.

It doesn't have to be a laptop. A laptop is just what I have available now. If I can build a new rig and have it run Logic Pro flawlessly, then I would rather do that to save a lot of money.

Well then get to it! :thumbup:

It'll work flawlessly depending on you working at it and picking a good board. You can overclock it, swap out parts, etc. All the benefits of PC hardware and Mac software all in one machine. Just make sure it's Ivy Bridge! Haswell isn't supported yet. And like I said. Definitely weigh the thought of an i5 over an i7 if it's mostly for Logic. If you live near a microcenter, then your cpu will be 189 for the top i5 and 249 for the top i7, saving you tons. Also, if you buy a motherboard at the same time with the cpu at microcenter, you get 30 bucks off. So if you live near an MC, you can make one hell of a computer with the money from the returned mac!

Well then get to it! :thumbup:

It'll work flawlessly depending on you working at it and picking a good board. You can overclock it, swap out parts, etc. All the benefits of PC hardware and Mac software all in one machine. Just make sure it's Ivy Bridge! Haswell isn't supported yet. And like I said. Definitely weigh the thought of an i5 over an i7 if it's mostly for Logic. If you live near a microcenter, then your cpu will be 189 for the top i5 and 249 for the top i7, saving you tons. Also, if you buy a motherboard at the same time with the cpu at microcenter, you get 30 bucks off. So if you live near an MC, you can make one hell of a computer with the money from the returned mac!
I appreciate your help. I do live near a MC and I'm going to go with the July 2013 build CustoMac Mini Deluxe. I'm guessing this build is more than enough for a flawless run of Logic?

Tons of people have machines that work just fine with no problems! But, that Lenovo will be hell for you. Just return the mac, and build one twice as fast. It won't be dead-easy, but lots of Gigabyte boards are pretty easy.

Watch this mini-series for some motivation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwaW6HR9dw4 It's very well made, and he shows you what he does and what to expect. I wouldn't go for that cpu or socket, obviously. But there are LOTS of people on here running hackintoshes in professional-level studios. Here's a great example:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-32gb-hd4000.html

Just find what parts you want, look at the "Golden Builds" section on here, and you will see instructions on what to do for your set of parts. You might have to adjust things here and there, but if you think you can handle it, that mac you own now will become a pro-level recording machine!

Great advice here.

I built my first hackintosh, in fact first computer, to do this. This was a few years ago but some of the golden builds on here are...well....gold. Follow those, prepare to spend some extra time possibly troubleshooting and have a blazing fast, rock solid audio system.

I built my hack almost two years ago and the only issues I've had is when I update to a new version of OSX. At which point my advice is to not update all the time! Stick with what works and you will be set. By the time you actually need to upgrade, not want to, there will probably guides on this site that will get you through the process.

A friend of mine also has a monster system built for logic as well. He uses it professionally whereas I use it for a hobby. He has never had an issue. Results may vary but do have confidence that it's not as hard as it looks with some research and tenacity, and that others here on this site have done exactly what you would like to do. Follow their steps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back