Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
I was wondering people have a build in this community that runs logic pro with near perfect stability. I recently bought a mac JUST to use logic pro and I'm thinking of returning it and going with a hackintosh to save money (and seems like a fun project). Do people normally run os x on a VM?

This question comes up about 3-4 times a week, minimum. Just use search. I mean, come on, man... Half of the people wanting to build a hackintosh are using it for media programs like Logic.

At any rate, check the July Builds page. There should be a new one coming up soon for August, but it probably won't differ too much. The CustoMac Mini Deluxe will work fine. So will the CustoMac Pro. They all will, really.

An i5 3570k will be fine. I don't think i7's add much since their biggest pro is HT, which Logic doesn't really take advantage of. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

16 GB of RAM, the biggest SSD you can afford (256 GB with a 1TB HDD will be great), a GA-Z77X-UD5H for a large computer or a Z77-WIFI or whatever it's called for a smaller build.

Then buy an external sound card. Don't get an internal one. Focusrite Saffire or Scarlett, a 250 dollar one. You'll be set.

Do people normally run os x on a VM?

VM discussion here is limited to only if you are running an OS X VM within OS X.

Yeah, OSX is normally dual booted, by the way. You can pick which OS to enter when you start the computer.

Thanks for the replies. Will my thinkpad x230 be good enough? It's an i7 16gb Intel hd 4000. Also, I have tried using the search but get no results for some reason, I apologize.

Thanks for the replies. Will my thinkpad x230 be good enough? It's an i7 16gb Intel hd 4000. Also, I have tried using the search but get no results for some reason, I apologize.

My advice- keep the Mac you bought.

How come?

Because, you'll have everything work 100%. You already bought it. More than likely that Lenovo will not work as nearly as well as the Mac and you'll probably find yourself coming back here over and over for help for it.

Because, you'll have everything work 100%. You already bought it. More than likely that Lenovo will not work as nearly as well as the Mac and you'll probably find yourself coming back here over and over for help for it.

Ok thanks. I just wanted to check and make sure someone didn't have a build that was close to 100 percent working

Tons of people have machines that work just fine with no problems! But, that Lenovo will be hell for you. Just return the mac, and build one twice as fast. It won't be dead-easy, but lots of Gigabyte boards are pretty easy.

Watch this mini-series for some motivation. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iwaW6HR9dw4 It's very well made, and he shows you what he does and what to expect. I wouldn't go for that cpu or socket, obviously. But there are LOTS of people on here running hackintoshes in professional-level studios. Here's a great example:

http://www.tonymacx86.com/golden-bu...core-i7-3770k-ga-z77x-up5-th-32gb-hd4000.html

Just find what parts you want, look at the "Golden Builds" section on here, and you will see instructions on what to do for your set of parts. You might have to adjust things here and there, but if you think you can handle it, that mac you own now will become a pro-level recording machine!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back