Contribute
Register

Hackintosh first timer, need some pointers

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey Everyone,
I just picked up a G4 Titanium and Cinema Display (I had wanted that computer for years and finally realized how cheap they had become so I snagged one)

Anyways, I'm planning on building a new Hackintosh setup and fitting it up in the G4 case to use for some basic photo/video editing as well as some CAD modeling and wanted some pointers, I looked through the buyers guide a bit and came up with a rough plan but had a few questions for the more experienced guys out there.

What I was planning on running:
Asus Z170M-Plus (always had good experience with Asus in the past on PC builds)
or
Gigabyte GA-H170M-DS3H (seemed to be used frequently by users here)
I5-6500 processor
Crucial Ballistix Sport 8gb x2

Now my questions are...
Which motherboard would you all suggest?
Can I run one of the new M.2 drives on the motherboard, partition it, and use that as a boot drive for both Sierra and Windows 10 (I read on one or two threads about M.2 drives having some issues as boot drives in Hackintoshes?) And if I can run an M.2 drive are there any particular ones you would recommend?
I have some older WD Black SATA drives that I would like to use as basic storage drives, this should not be an issue, right?
Also I have an older MSI N630GT video card, would this be worth utilizing or would I be better just using onboard graphics until I get a bit of cash saved up for a more current card?
And finally, I have a Corsair Tx650w power supply, would this be sufficient, or do I need to upgrade to a newer unit?

Sorry for all the questions, its my first time building a hackintosh and I'm also about 10 years out from attempting to keep up on hardware trends unfortunately (didn't even know the M.2 style drives were a thing until I started researching a few days back haha).

Which motherboard would you all suggest?

If you like Asus, there's no reason why you can't use one. I have been using an Asus Maximus VIII Gene for almost 8 months now and think it's great.
Building a CustoMac: Buyer's Guide February 2017 | tonymacx86.com

Can I run one of the new M.2 drives on the motherboard, partition it, and use that as a boot drive for both Sierra and Windows 10 (I read on one or two threads about M.2 drives having some issues as boot drives in Hackintoshes?) And if I can run an M.2 drive are there any particular ones you would recommend?

Yes, you can use M.2 SSDs. Keep in mind that there are several kinds of M.2:
  • SATA M.2 - These are natively supported by macOS, but they offer no real advantage over standard 2.5" SSD drives.
  • AHCI M.2 - These are natively supported by macOS, but can be difficult to find now. They are a bit slower than the newest NVMe SSDs.
  • NVMe M.2 - These require patches and/or kexts to work with macOS, but they offer the best performance.
Personally, I use a Samsung SM951 and think it is fantastic but, again, they are hard to find now since the market has pretty much completely shifted to NVMe. If I were to build today, I would consider Kingston HyperX Predator M.2 simply because they are more readily available, but performance is lower than the SM951.
HyperX Predator M.2 2280 960GB PCI-Express 2.0 x4 Internal Solid State Drive (SSD) SHPM2280P2/960G - Newegg.com

I don't like recommending NVMe M.2s because of all the complications I've read others have had. If you are willing to deal with the headaches, they do give the utmost best performance.

I have some older WD Black SATA drives that I would like to use as basic storage drives, this should not be an issue, right?

Any standard hard drive will work.

Also I have an older MSI N630GT video card, would this be worth utilizing or would I be better just using onboard graphics until I get a bit of cash saved up for a more current card?

I would use the GT 630. It's very easy to use with macOS, easier than onboard graphics. I still keep an old GT 640 around because of its ease of use and compatibility.

And finally, I have a Corsair Tx650w power supply, would this be sufficient, or do I need to upgrade to a newer unit?

It all depends on what components you will be installing in to your new build. Search google for "pc power supply calculator" and use some of the online calculators to see how large of a power supply you will need. I like to add a little bit to the recommendation for a bit of headroom.

Also, newer power supplies marketed as "Haswell ready" can work with newer generations of chipsets/motherboards to handle low power states better. Older power supplies will not be as efficient.

Sorry for all the questions, its my first time building a hackintosh and I'm also about 10 years out from attempting to keep up on hardware trends unfortunately (didn't even know the M.2 style drives were a thing until I started researching a few days back haha).

No need to be sorry. There are lots of extremely helpful people here. Don't be shy to ask. It helps to place questions in the appropriate sub-forums though.

Cheers, those were the answers I was looking for!
I've got my case stripped down so I suppose now its time to order components and fit it all up and have a go at making this thing work.
Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back