Contribute
Register

Hackintosh file-server (RAID?)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Hackintosh file-server

Yeah, I know silly assumption.
The RAID is just for the data-share.
OSX wil run on a single hdd, which I want to back-up by TimeMachine.

Yesterday I managed to install the hardware and Lion. I tried to start hardware RAID but OS X saw still two disks. So no raid... I set it up as a software raid in OS X. For me more understandable to fix and rebuild when a disk dies. Today downloaded Lion Server en started to setup. I need some time to figure out how to setup all the different services.

Macsel said:
Yesterday I managed to install the hardware and Lion. I tried to start hardware RAID but OS X saw still two disks. So no raid... I set it up as a software raid in OS X. For me more understandable to fix and rebuild when a disk dies. Today downloaded Lion Server en started to setup. I need some time to figure out how to setup all the different services.

Absolute waste. Using Linux software RAID is simple. They have graphical interfaces to it. And it would be a heck of a lot more stable. My little linux server literally doesn't get rebooted for months. It just works.

Might be a option, but that is a totally new thing for me. OS X is a little bit more in my comfort zone. I experimented already with SL server but Lion is different. Last time I rebooted my SL server (mac mini) was @ the last update (10.6.8); while ago...
I like some options as:
-VPN
-Adressbook (iphones, ipad, etC)
-iCal
although Linux will certainly have a option for all that.

Macsel said:
Might be a option, but that is a totally new thing for me. OS X is a little bit more in my comfort zone. I experimented already with SL server but Lion is different. Last time I rebooted my SL server (mac mini) was @ the last update (10.6.8); while ago...
I like some options as:
-VPN
-Adressbook (iphones, ipad, etC)
-iCal
although Linux will certainly have a option for all that.

Why use a server for iCal and address book? You have the free iCloud service or you can use Google.

And a VPN is easy to do on Linux.

Macsel said:
Old -non iOS- iPhone

No such thing as an non iOS iPhone......the original could run up to iOS 3. I know, I had one.

It also had google support....so.....

Heck, I don't even know if old iOS version would connect with a Lion server. I guess caldav for calendars and ldap for addresses but.....why? You can get a FREE google apps account and do all that....

hi,

i have this hardware and got 100Mo/s rate when transfering 700Mo files.
with RAID 0 2T0 (500Go hd x4 ) and one Gigabits lan card ... on the server side

GA-EP35-DS3R (it's very important to put your HD on the ICH10R chipset)
Core 2 duo 1,8Ghz, 4Go ram

... with SL 10.6.7 server

ericdano said:
Macsel said:

Absolute waste. Using Linux software RAID is simple. They have graphical interfaces to it. And it would be a heck of a lot more stable. My little linux server literally doesn't get rebooted for months. It just works.

Do you use your server with Time Machine for backups? I was planning to set up one with Ubuntu Server and Samba, until I heard that there were issues with getting time machine to work.

danielu13 said:
Do you use your server with Time Machine for backups? I was planning to set up one with Ubuntu Server and Samba, until I heard that there were issues with getting time machine to work.

Yup. There are some things you need to do to get it to work. Google it. Netatalk is a little better

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back