CPU
Intel Core i5-4670K (3.4GHz)
Graphics
GeForce GTX 760 2GB
Mac
  1. MacBook Pro
Mobile Phone
  1. iOS
Hey guys, I'm looking to order a new custom built laptop in a matter of days. In the future I'd hope to install OS X although I'm really not sure on the compatibility of most of my components and a few don't seem to be documented at all in terms of usability. Here's the specs and what I've found so far in green, amber or red:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4340 (2.90GHz) 3MB
Haswell CPU is compatible with 10.8.5+

RAM - 8GB Kingston Sodiumm DDR3 1600MHz (1x8GB)
I believe this will work fine although I could do with a little more insight on this

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM
No idea whether this is compatible or not... I get the feeling it's not

HDD - 250GB Scorpio Black WD2500BEKX, SATA 6GB/s
I don't think I should run into any problems here, althoughI'm not 100% sure

mSATA SSD (to be used for installing Windows) - 60GB Kingston SSDNow
I don't think I should run into any problems here, although I'm not 100% sure

Wireless - Gigabit LAN & Wireless Intel AC-7240 + Bluetooth
Intel WiFi cards aren't compatible with OS X, correct? So I don't believe this card is compatible but I'll probably use a USB WiFi receiver to amend the issue

DVD - 8x SATA DVD+/-R/RW

SD card - Internal 9 in 1 memory card reader
No idea whether this is compatible or not...

Sound Card - Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

USB - 3 x USB 3.0 + 1 USB 2.0 Port

I appreciate any help you can give me, thanks! :thumbup:

Hey guys, I'm looking to order a new custom built laptop in a matter of days. In the future I'd hope to install OS X although I'm really not sure on the compatibility of most of my components and a few don't seem to be documented at all in terms of usability. Here's the specs and what I've found so far in green, amber or red:

CPU - Intel Core i5-4340 (2.90GHz) 3MB
Haswell CPU is compatible with 10.8.5+

RAM - 8GB Kingston Sodiumm DDR3 1600MHz (1x8GB)
I believe this will work fine although I could do with a little more insight on this

As long as RAM works...

Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 850M - 2GB DDR3 Video RAM
No idea whether this is compatible or not... I get the feeling it's not

Does it have just nvidia or both nvidia and Intel?

HDD - 250GB Scorpio Black WD2500BEKX, SATA 6GB/s
I don't think I should run into any problems here, althoughI'm not 100% sure

mSATA SSD (to be used for installing Windows) - 60GB Kingston SSDNow

Similar to RAM... if it works...

Wireless - Gigabit LAN & Wireless Intel AC-7240 + Bluetooth
Intel WiFi cards aren't compatible with OS X, correct? So I don't believe this card is compatible but I'll probably use a USB WiFi receiver to amend the issue

Ethernet will depend on specifics. Intel Wifi is not supported. USB Wifi, while it can be workable, should be avoided when possible. USB WiFi is sometimes unstable and always has poor usability.

SD card - Internal 9 in 1 memory card reader

Most card readers are not.

Sound Card - Intel 2 Channel High Definition Audio + MIC/Headphone Jack

You will need to find a patched AppleHDA for your specific codec ("Intel" is meaningless here).

USB - 3 x USB 3.0 + 1 USB 2.0 Port

Workable with either vanilla install (AppleUSBXHCI) or GenericUSBXHCI.

Thanks for the help!

Does it have just nvidia or both nvidia and Intel?

I'm almost certain it's just the Nvidia but the GPU is relatively new so I haven't found any reports on a working/failed build using that card. That's why I'm so unsure...

Thanks for the help!

I'm almost certain it's just the Nvidia but the GPU is relatively new so I haven't found any reports on a working/failed build using that card. That's why I'm so unsure...

In a "custom" laptop, you should know whether you're ordering something with a dedicated discrete GPU or one with Nvidia Optimus...

By custom built I mean the specifics are customizable from pre-selected options. And yes, it's Nvidia Optimus, if that helps. So, it would seem both cards are present which creates added issues, correct?

By custom built I mean the specifics are customizable from pre-selected options. And yes, it's Nvidia Optimus, if that helps. So, it would seem both cards are present which creates added issues, correct?

If it is optimus, then you have both (that is the definition of optimus: dual-gpu, switched between intel/nvidia).

In the case of dual-gpu switched systems (such as optimus), you will not be able to use the nvidia... just Intel.

It creates issues during install (nvidia drivers try to load and interfere with Intel) and power/heat issues (which can be resolved by disabling nvidia with DSDT/SSDT edits).

Ah, thank you very much for that! I'll remember that for the install process. On the note of WiFi, am I correct in thinking the Killer wireless cards don't work either? I'm pretty sure they don't. :confused:

Thank you very much for everything!

If it is optimus, then you have both (that is the definition of optimus: dual-gpu, switched between intel/nvidia).

In the case of dual-gpu switched systems (such as optimus), you will not be able to use the nvidia... just Intel.

It creates issues during install (nvidia drivers try to load and interfere with Intel) and power/heat issues (which can be resolved by disabling nvidia with DSDT/SSDT edits).
Hi, I own a laptop ASUS X550JK that also has Intel HD 4600 and GTX 850M 2gb GPUs. When I am installing OS X I probably have to disable my GTX 850M, but what about after the installation is done (after os x is already succesfully installed to my hard drive)? Can I enable my GTX 850M after that? Will it work? Should I disable Intel HD 4600 (if that is possible) to make it work?
Sorry for bringing old theme back but I would really like to know.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back