Contribute
Register

Hackintosh build question: HTPC and HD TV Tuner/DVR possible?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
mini
CPU
?
Graphics
?
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
Hello,

I am looking into building a Hac Pro, but before I get started pricing everything out and ordering items I wanted to reach out to the experts to see if my needs can be met by a Hac Pro. From searching around the net the issue/snag for me may be the HD TV Tuner and DVR functionality I seek. Because I would like the build to be our family's HTPC plus our desire to ditch the monthly cable bill I am hoping to add an HD TV Tuner so that it can function as a DVR. The source for the tuner would be an over the air antenna (I am @ 20 miles / 32 km west of NYC and get enough signal here). I have XBMC running on my current Mac Mini (And on my AppleTV2) and I have ripped my DVD library to my Drobo so that will make up for loss of sports/cable content.

One other possible issue is I would like the Hac Pro to be my main computer as well, but then when my wife or sons want to watch something from the 'DVR' I need to be able to sent that content to the living room while I can still work from the Hac Pro in my office (I work from home)

are my goals possible? are they compatible with a custom build? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

About me... I have been into computers since being a small kid in the 80s and have build, modified, fixed, etc many computers up until 5 years ago when I switched to Macs. Since then I have only loaded more RAM and hacked my ATV2 and kids Wii however I should be tech savy enough to get through a Hac Pro build (as long as my build specs are possible)

Hello,

I am looking into building a Hac Pro, but before I get started pricing everything out and ordering items I wanted to reach out to the experts to see if my needs can be met by a Hac Pro. From searching around the net the issue/snag for me may be the HD TV Tuner and DVR functionality I seek. Because I would like the build to be our family's HTPC plus our desire to ditch the monthly cable bill I am hoping to add an HD TV Tuner so that it can function as a DVR. The source for the tuner would be an over the air antenna (I am @ 20 miles / 32 km west of NYC and get enough signal here). I have XBMC running on my current Mac Mini (And on my AppleTV2) and I have ripped my DVD library to my Drobo so that will make up for loss of sports/cable content.

One other possible issue is I would like the Hac Pro to be my main computer as well, but then when my wife or sons want to watch something from the 'DVR' I need to be able to sent that content to the living room while I can still work from the Hac Pro in my office (I work from home)

are my goals possible? are they compatible with a custom build? THANK YOU IN ADVANCE

About me... I have been into computers since being a small kid in the 80s and have build, modified, fixed, etc many computers up until 5 years ago when I switched to Macs. Since then I have only loaded more RAM and hacked my ATV2 and kids Wii however I should be tech savy enough to get through a Hac Pro build (as long as my build specs are possible)

Hi,

Everything you said is exactly what I have, minus the HD tuner, I'm using standard cable instead with EyeTV software as my DVR. Your HD Tuner should be fine as long as EyeTV supports your tuner. Everything in your iTunes library will be accessible to your AppleTV in the living room, while you work. I convert everything i record with my DVR to AppleTV format using Handbrake, then add it to iTunes. So, yes a Hack Pro can be your HTPC.

Hi,

Everything you said is exactly what I have, minus the HD tuner, I'm using standard cable instead with EyeTV software as my DVR. Your HD Tuner should be fine as long as EyeTV supports your tuner. Everything in your iTunes library will be accessible to your AppleTV in the living room, while you work. I convert everything i record with my DVR to AppleTV format using Handbrake, then add it to iTunes. So, yes a Hack Pro can be your HTPC.

ok great tips! any ideas if there is an HD Tuner that EyeTV supports?

I am used to Handbrake from when I ripped my DVD collection to my Drobo and wanting to make them mpeg 4 files first

nice to get tips from a fellow Bimmer head! My first BMW was an e46 like yours, but it was a 323Ci the year the coupes first came out. I am B (moderator) at e46fanatics.com if you're on that forum

HDHomerun works great with EyeTV; I picked up a used 2 tuner version for $50 on ebay... I have seen new ones on sale for $70. It is a box that plugs into your router and distributes a digitized streaming channel over your network, EyeTV receives the video and handles the channel changing and DVR functionality.

The only downside is that the file sizes of recorded shows are very large; can be 6-8gb per hour... I believe it records a raw mpg stream. EyeTV has settings to re-encode the recordings into different formats, but I haven't really played with that.

ok great tips! any ideas if there is an HD Tuner that EyeTV supports?

I am used to Handbrake from when I ripped my DVD collection to my Drobo and wanting to make them mpeg 4 files first

nice to get tips from a fellow Bimmer head! My first BMW was an e46 like yours, but it was a 323Ci the year the coupes first came out. I am B (moderator) at e46fanatics.com if you're on that forum

I'm using a Pinnacle TV for Mac HD Stick 800e, you can pick up over the air HD signals, but also use it for normal cable, which is what I'm doing.
Yeah, I love BMW's, lived in Germany for 11 years, would love to go back. I have a '04 325Ci and '12 X5. I was on Bimmerforums for awhile, I'll have to check out e46fanatics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back