Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte Designare Z390
CPU
i9-9900K
Graphics
RX Vega 64
Hi all

I'm looking to build a Hackintosh and have done some research on the parts which should be most compatible and easy to setup with Mojave. The easier to maintain and upgrade the better. I would have liked a new RTX graphics card for example but I understand that the AMD cards are natively supported in Mojave.

I work as a software developer so would like to have a faster machine with more resources for tools like Docker. At the same time I'd also like to have a very capable machine for playing games.

Here's the list of components I'm thinking of at the moment. Some of these are from an older build (in bold).

CPU: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-U12P SE2 54.36 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Asus - ROG Maximus XI Hero (Wi-Fi)
Memory: G.Skill - Ripjaws V Series 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 500 GB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Video Card: Sapphire - Radeon RX VEGA 64 8 GB NITRO+ Video Card
Power Supply: Coolermaster Real Power 850w Modular Power Supply
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case
(The hard drive bays at the bottom have been removed to fit larger graphics cards)

Any thoughts on improvements or potential issues would be highly appreciated. I also intend to overclock the CPU so replacing the older cooler may be a good starting point.

Many thanks

Edit:
Finalised Build:
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wifi / Bluetooth: Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth Module -- BCM94360CS2 with PCIe x1 adapter card for WiFi/BT module

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 953
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 894
Last edited:
Make sure that you get the Samsung 970 EVO and not the 970 EVO Plus which doesn't work on hackintoshes.

Thanks pastrychef, was reading about that. I'll make sure to avoid it.

The main thing I suppose I'd like to be certain about before going ahead is the choice of motherboard.

I've also been considering buying an RTX 2080 or GTX 1080TI and just using the integrated graphics on the Core i9-9900K on the Hackintosh (Mojave) side. I don't intend to do anything serious graphics wise on the mac side so presumably this should be a viable way to run it and should be as smooth on the UI as the current macbook pros which don't come with any dedicated graphics chip? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

Thanks pastrychef, was reading about that. I'll make sure to avoid it.

The main thing I suppose I'd like to be certain about before going ahead is the choice of motherboard.

I've also been considering buying an RTX 2080 or GTX 1080TI and just using the integrated graphics on the Core i9-9900K on the Hackintosh (Mojave) side. I don't intend to do anything serious graphics wise on the mac side so presumably this should be a viable way to run it and should be as smooth on the UI as the current macbook pros which don't come with any dedicated graphics chip? Please correct me if I'm wrong.

The motherboard should work albeit without native NVRAM support. As of today, I don't think any of the Z390 motherboards have native NVRAM support. Personally, given a choice, I'd choose Z370 over Z390 for hackintoshing.

I think it's possible to use the IGPU of the CPU with an Nvidia video card installed but it's something I've never tried. I think it will complicate getting macOS to run properly. I bailed on Nvidia when they couldn't fix a UI lag that their drivers caused from High Sierra 10.13.0 to 10.13.3 and never looked back.

Thanks for the help. I've decided to use a Gigabyte Z390 Designare motherboard as I was reading they are more reliable and more compatible with OSX out of the box. I also intend to use CaseySJ's golden build at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/ as a guide.

Lastly I've changed the RAM to Corsair Vengeance and upgraded the storage to a 1TB drive. Below is the fuil list:

Motherboard: Gigabyte MB INT 1151 Z390 Designare D4 ATX
Memory: Corsair 163301 Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4 3200 MHz C16 XMP 2.0 High Performance Desktop Memory Kit, Black
Storage: 970 EVO POLARIS 1TB M.2 2280 PCI-E 3.0 X4 NVME SOLID STATE DRIVE
Power Supply: Coolermaster Real Power 850w Modular Power Supply
Antec 300 Three Hundred Ultimate Gaming Case (The hard drive bays at the bottom have been removed to fit larger graphics cards)

Will hopefully start the built later this week.

Thanks again for the help.

I don't think that this cooler will adequately cool an i9-9900K. Do some more research into this before buying.

I'm trying to do a very similar build to this except with a Z390 Pro instead of designare (why would you pick one over the other?).

It's very tough to find vegas 64s.

Also... I already have corsair vengance LPX 2600 mhz c16 XMP 2.0 ram from another build. I'm not sure if it's safe to re-use it and try and OC it to 3200, or if it really does cap out at 2600.

Thanks trs96. Apparently the NH-U12P should be ok however the version I need requires a socket adapter which would take a while to arrive so I'm going to find a water cooler.

Davidcanada: I picked the Designare to match the motherboard to CaseySJ's build and hopefully minimise unexpected problems.
I managed to pick up the vega 64 for £399 which seemed reasonable in the UK.
I haven't had much experience overclocking RAM. I did however have an older windows build which didn't allow me to clock much over base without experiencing freezing and BSODs.

Just bought a NH-D15 to replace the NH-U12P. Figured water coolers probably weren't worth the hassle as they don't drop the temperatures as much as I would have imagined.

Decided to change the power supply and case so everything is completely new. Here's the complete build list. It's all up and running now! Even connects through my thunderbolt dock to my 2 old Apple cinema displays!

CaseySJ's guide at https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...390-thunderbolt-3-i7-9700k-amd-rx-580.267551/ was absolutely crucial to the process so thanks again for that CaseySJ

CPU
: Intel - Core i9-9900K 3.6 GHz 8-Core Processor
CPU Cooler: Noctua - NH-D15 82.5 CFM CPU Cooler
Motherboard: Gigabyte - Z390 DESIGNARE ATX LGA1151 Motherboard
Memory: Corsair - Vengeance LPX 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3200 Memory
Storage: Samsung - 970 Evo 1 TB M.2-2280 Solid State Drive
Case: Fractal Design - Meshify C Dark TG ATX Mid Tower Case
Power Supply: EVGA - SuperNOVA G2 850 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully-Modular ATX Power Supply
Wifi / Bluetooth: Broadcom WiFi and Bluetooth Module -- BCM94360CS2 with PCIe x1 adapter card for WiFi/BT module

Attachments

• 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    227.5 KB · Views: 852
  • image1.jpg
    image1.jpg
    309.9 KB · Views: 543
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back