Contribute
Register

Hackintosh build. Cheap yet reliable and upgradable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Intel H61
CPU
i5
Graphics
Geforce 570
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
So, I was thinking of this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121550

And either the i3 or a Pentium Dual Core now, then an upgrade to an i5 when Ivy Bridge comes out.

My question is- will OS X work with that, or for the initial budget build, will I need a PCI-e graphics card? This is all going in a PowerMac G3 case. :3

fenix1993 said:
So, I was thinking of this motherboard:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121550

And either the i3 or a Pentium Dual Core now, then an upgrade to an i5 when Ivy Bridge comes out.

My question is- will OS X work with that, or for the initial budget build, will I need a PCI-e graphics card? This is all going in a PowerMac G3 case. :3
Something Gigabyte...

There's no dsdt in Database so u will have more work with that mobo.better choose One where u get a User dsdt

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.a ... 6813121529

Actually that board. I want a PCI-e slot.

I'm not a fan of Gigabyte, I don't trust them. Not saying I don't like them, just that I've had a lot more success with Intel motherboards in the past, and want to continue with it.

What will a DSDT table do for a desktop? Why will I need it? I'm guessing for things like audio.. but everything is Intel standardized. Are you sure I'll even need that?

Also will HD2000 graphics work?

fenix1993 said:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813121529

I'm not a fan of Gigabyte, I don't trust them. Not saying I don't like them, just that I've had a lot more success with Intel motherboards in the past, and want to continue with it.

What will a DSDT table do for a desktop? Why will I need it? I'm guessing for things like audio.. but everything is Intel standardized. Are you sure I'll even need that?

If you choose something other that isn't a Gigabyte, you will have a very hard life with it.
Intel motherboard... it doesn't mean nothing.
HD2000 is not supported.

Mate94 said:
fenix1993 said:

If you choose something other that isn't a Gigabyte, you will have a very hard life with it.
HD2000 is not supported.

Ah, lol.

What do you mean hard life? Things like case buttons and stuff won't work? As long as y ethernet and USB ports work, I'm fine. And my PS/2 port, for my old Model M that will be hooked to this beast. And sound obviously, I need that, but all I really care about is green (output) and pink (input).. which works on my non-gigabyte laptop.

Intel motherboard does mean something. I've had a system for when Intel first started building boards, that's still running to this day. Their boards are business class, which means this board will last me for years.

What graphics card can you recommend me?

fenix1993 said:
Mate94 said:
fenix1993 said:

HD2000 is not supported.

Ah, lol.

What do you mean hard life? Things like case buttons and stuff won't work? As long as y ethernet and USB ports work, I'm fine. And my PS/2 port, for my old Model M that will be hooked to this beast. And sound obviously, I need that, but all I really care about is green (output) and pink (input).. which works on my non-gigabyte laptop.

Intel motherboard does mean something. I've had a system for when Intel first started building boards, that's still running to this day. Their boards are business class, which means this board will last me for years.

What graphics card can you recommend me?

By hard life he means that not many people (if anyone at all) has tested that motherboard, so there is no DSDT for it in the database, making installing Max OSX difficult before you've even started.

A full list of recommended products can be found here:

http://tonymacx86.blogspot.com/search/label/CustoMac

To understand what an unsupported board can do, and how a DSDT helps you, you need to understand how the emulation layer between the PC and the Mac software works. It's more involved than I want to get in this topic, but it could very likely mean you wont be able to install Mac OS X at all. There are literally thousands of things that can go wrong.

Case buttons are a hardware function, so those will work always, but yes, USB Ports, PS2 ports, video ports, hard drives showing up (or not), Ram or CPU cores being recognized, video cards, ethernet, wifi, sleep / wake functions, these are all things that a DSDT when done properly can help you out with. Without a DSDT, you'll need "Kexts" for all these things to get them to work properly, if at all.

Well, my other hack is an Intel motherboard (just like the OP is considering buying). I jumped in trying to install OSX on that thing even though it's unsupported on this board. I know I'm going to be paving my own road as I travel.

So as long as the OP knows it's not going to be a cakewalk, and some things he needs to figure out himself, go ahead.

My points below pertain only to the DG33TL Intel mobo. I don't know about *other* Intel mobo whether it will be that easy to get OSX running or not.

1. Actually, only sleep/wake-up doesn't work using the Intel motherboard I have, So if you can learn to live without it, it will be just fine.

2. In some respects, the Intel motherboard was more stable in terms of networking. The Realtek NIC of the Gigabyte mobo crashes, drops, KPs randomly.... things I did not experience with the Intel motherboard. I'm using onboard NIC on my Intel mobo, but had to get an external PCIe NIC card for my Gigabyte motherboard. I used the Intel kext in the Multibeast to get this working.

3. The Intel mobo was reliable and easily upgradeable. From 10.6.3, up to Lion 10.7.3, I only used Software Update to upgrade to the next version. No problems, even with the major jump to 10.6.8 (something which a lot of people with Gigabyte mobo owners had problems)... but I also did not have problems with my Gigabyte board during the upgrades.

That said, the one benefit of my Gigabyte mobo I really like is the ability to go sleep and wake up -- and this is courtesy of the DSDT.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back