Status
Not open for further replies.
Mac
  1. 0
Classic Mac
  1. 0
Mobile Phone
  1. 0
It's funny how having a baby can lead to expensive electronics purchases. :headbang:

Background:
We purchased a DSLR Camera because the baby is coming in March. Now we're shooting many more and bigger pictures and movies, so the 2006 MacBook is crying for help. I've debated about purchasing or building for a while and you can see where I ended up. I've built a few PC's but that was 10 years ago. Joined the forum today and am AMAZED at all the info and help I've found so far.

Goals:
"Out Of Box" as much as possible.
"Good for a while" - I'd like to use this for ~3 years
Gigabit, USB, Audio, DVI and/or HDMI.
Reliability :banghead:
Ability to send Audio & Video over HDMI to a LCD TV :geek:
TV/Monitor Switching
Main Use is Photos, movie editing.

Here's what I ordered, Thanks for the help!

MB:
GIGABYTE GA-P55-USB3

Graphics:
SAPPHIRE 100283-3L Radeon HD 5770 1GB 128-bit GDDR5 PCI Express 2.0 x16 HDCP Ready CrossFireX Support Video Card

CPU:
Intel Core i7-870 Lynnfield 2.93GHz LGA 1156 95W Quad-Core Processor BX80605I7870

Power:
COOLER MASTER eXtreme Power Plus RS-500-PCAR-A3-US 500W ATX12V v2.3 Power Supply

Case:
COOLER MASTER RC-692-KKN3 CM690 II

HD:
1 - Kingston SSDNow V100 Series SV100S2/64GZ 2.5" 64GB SATA II
1 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F3 HD103SJ 1TB 7200 RPM SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"
1 - SAMSUNG Spinpoint F4 HD204UI 2TB 5400 RPM 32MB Cache SATA 3.0Gb/s 3.5"

Memory:
G.SKILL Ripjaws Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1333 (PC3 10666) Desktop Memory Model F3-12800CL9D-8GBRL

Cooling:
Thermaltake Silent 1156 CLP0552 92mm CPU Cooler For Intel Socket LGA1156
MASSCOOL G751

Bluetooth: Pending

Monitor: SAMSUNG BX2331 Glossy Black 23" Full HD LED Backlight LCD Monitor Slim Design

Apple keyboard
Apple mouse

Total Cost: $1253 - $80 Mail In = 1173 from Newegg

Thank you for the help! :thumbup:

Re: Hackintosh Build - Baby on the WAY!

Congrats on the baby!

I'm planning my first hackintosh build as well (which is pretty similar to yours), and am pretty new to the game so I can't comment much on the compatability of your hardware. I do have one question though: Is there a reason that you are using 3 x 4GB RAM? The 1156 boards are dual channel, so you might see some issues with 3 units rather than 2. I'd save the money, then down the road you can buy two more 4 GB sticks if you feel like you need it.

In my build I'm probably going to go with the P55 USB3 board because I've seen more people with that build over the H55.

Also, from what I hear (not based on experience), ATI GPUs can be more difficult to install OS X on than NVidia cards. Not sure about that particular model though.

You might also want to think about getting a case with a door covering power buttons and such. This could be handy when you have a curious toddler who likes to push buttons that light up!

Thanks for the info...and the congrats.

I updated the memory and board based on your recommendation. I did some more research and you are correct, a lot more people are using that board.

My mistake on the memory...that's the kinda stuff I was hoping to catch.

As far as the graphics card, I found a couple recommendations for that one, So I think I'll stick with it unless I hear more negative info.

I'll keep looking for a case.... :crazy:

No personal experience but here are some cases I'm looking at.

silverstone raven RV02
silverstone fortress FT02B
LIAN LI PC-A05NB

Thanks, I must have fat fingered the extra 1. I did look at that wiki and picked the ASUS for that reason. Good catch.

I also have the ASUS BT-21 (not 211) and it won't allow wake from sleep. :S

Hey all, thanks for the help. I updated the top post and ordered it last night. On to the next section of the forum.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back