Contribute
Register

Hackintosh Beginner...Compatibility Check Please

Status
Not open for further replies.
For gaming I would recommend the i5 and GTX 770. The 770 is enough of an improvement over the 760 to make it worth it.

Couldn't say for website design etc. I would imagine a decent amount of RAM with the i5 will have you covered.

Personally Im going for the i7 and GTX 770. I don't intend to upgrade for a quite a few years (he says....) so would feel better getting the more powerful hardware now.

I'm not intending on upgrading any time soon either but of course we know that's easier said than done :)

I was waiting for the new Intel "Devil's Canyon" chips to come out. They were rumored to be releasing on June 2 but they have been pushed back to Q3 this year. I was hoping their release would drop the price of the current i7 but I can't wait another 2-3 months.

I'm just thinking that I might benefit more from the upgraded GPU as opposed to the CPU. I do have 16GB of RAM so I should be good on that front.

Yea I was debating waiting for the new devils canyon as well. To be honest though you rarely see a price drop when the next gen is released. Case in point is that the 3770k is still the same price as the 4770k in the UK.

As with everything in life, pay what you think is reasonable at the time. If you're happy then doesn't matter what you could of saved/lost by waiting. Wouldn't buy anything like cars/houses/tech if we constantly waited!

Yea I was debating waiting for the new devils canyon as well. To be honest though you rarely see a price drop when the next gen is released. Case in point is that the 3770k is still the same price as the 4770k in the UK.

As with everything in life, pay what you think is reasonable at the time. If you're happy then doesn't matter what you could of saved/lost by waiting. Wouldn't buy anything like cars/houses/tech if we constantly waited!

You are absolutely right...I went ahead and got everything I wanted. :D

Okay, I ended up making a few changes. I'm still waiting for some of the components to arrive but I wanted to be sure I'll be good to go once everything shows up. Again, I plan to dual boot OS X and Windows 7.

Motherboard - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K
GPU - EVGA GeForce GTX 770 04G-P4-3776KR
RAM - G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 240 Pin SDRAM DDR3 1600
Drives : System - Samsung 840 Evo 250GB SSD; Corsair Force GS 240GB SSD (My boss gave it to me for free)
Drives : Storage - Seagate 1TB Internal Serial ATA (x2)
Power Supply - Antec TPC 650W 80 Plus Gold Certified
Case - Phanteks Enthoo Pro (I love this friggin case!)
Wifi Card - TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter

Thanks, any advice is appreciated.

Have you finished building it yet if so can you tell me how it went and how its running and also if you have any regrets

Have you finished building it yet if so can you tell me how it went and how its running and also if you have any regrets

I am still waiting for my CPU to arrive. Best Buy doesn't carry processors in store or in their warehouses so they apparently have to get them shipped from Hong Kong cuz it's taking forever.

What's worse is that the UPS tracking says that the package is delayed in California due to sever weather conditions...WTF! I guess it was too sunny for them so they decided to spend a day at the beach instead of shipping my stuff.

Sorry for the rant :) I will definitely post an update once I get started.

Hi guys, looks like were all getting ready to build the same rig. This is my intended config below.
But im worried about a couple of things with these z97 boards

USE - Dual boot windows 8.1 and Osx Mavericks
Below is my intended build.

Mobo - GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
RAM - Crucial ballistic 8gb
CPU - Intel Core i7-4770K
Graphics - GeForce GTX 770
WIFI TP-Link PCI Express Wifi Adapter
Ive read that with z97 that onboard graphics and audio dont work?

you guys read about that?

Basically i would like to Dual boot OSX and windows 8.1, and use my windows 8.1 for gaming and osx for coding.

I would be happy to make it worth your while and do a blog post of my build to help others as well.

Also i was looking at the z97 board wth built in bluetooth and wifi, but im assuming it wont be possible to get those working with drivers?

Greg

Hello I'm looking to build about the same rig. Dual boot windows 8.1 and Osx Mavericks.
Im wondering what luck is being had with the z97 boards.

Here is what im planing.
Mobo - GIGABYTE GA-Z97X-UD7 TH
RAM - Crucial BLS4K8G3D18ADS3 32GB
CPU - Intel Core i7-4790K
SSD - 2 x SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB in raid 0
Graphics - GeForce GTX 770
WIFI/Bluetooth - GIGABYTE GC-WB867D-I

It looks like there are a few problems with the z97 boards audio and HD4600 not working. has anyone got this working on this board?
I have found this info so it looks like it can be done.

http://www.tonymacx86.com/audio/134002-quick-fix-onboard-audio-9-series-motherboards.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/...phics-acceleration-9-series-motherboards.html

http://www.tonymacx86.com/general-h...432-ga-z97x-ud7-th-rev-1-0-success-os-do.html

Ill keep up on this thread and post back if i have anything useful to add.

Can't wait to see how this build works.
Will the thunderbolt 2 work fully functional ?
GTX770 works ok with CUDA in video editing?
Do anyone has any idea how to get audio via bluetooth?
I'm planing to do the exact same build .
Waiting for the result.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back