Contribute
Register

Hackintosh and Pro Tools

Status
Not open for further replies.
I do believe the Texas Instrument chip in the firewire card will make a difference. Why not try installing Snow Leopard. It says right on the Avid website that Pro Tools 8 will not work with any MAC OS past 10.6.8

Hey there everyone.

I am very interested in building a hackintosh for the first time. I have built pc with windows but for my studio I been using my macbook pro. Of course I would love to purchase a Macbook Desktop but the price is just way out of my budget, I actually tried adding a second hard drive to my built and make it a hackentosh but after many tries I wasn't able to do so, but I won't give up and keep trying for personal use. Since I having so much trouble converting my pc into a hackintosh I decided to start a new build with parts you guys used on your builts. So First question is does it really works well, I don't mind spending all the time needed to built but I want to make sure it will work fine. And of course what to get as far as motherboard, etc. I have a Mbox mini USB, but I plan to upgrade to fire wire. As for now all I have is the Installation CD for Snow Leopard and Lion. I read that snow leopard might be better so please I'm here to learn from you.

I really hope you guys can help me and appreciate your support.

Thanks

I've been around almost as long as BoomR; my first rig was a 4ch NuBus system in a Mac IIci. The upgrade paths to Mix, HD and Accel were reasonable, but the PCI to PCIe "cross-grade" was insane. $4500 for a 3-PCIe card swap. Or keep the PCI's and shell out $2k for a Magma boat anchor. Plus $3k+ for a MacPro in either case. For what??? A faster CPU, but the essentially the same digital audio power. So I strayed into the land of Hackintosh, and I've never been happier. My build is 2 years old, but its rock solid, and saved my PCI cards from the junk heap. Its running Mountain Lion 10.8.2 with PTHD 10.3.3 and Melodyne 3.2.2.2. My hardware is Pro Tools HD3 Accel, 3x192 (48x48), Sync I/O.

Here's the build:

Rosewill RSV-R4000 4U Chassis
Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 Motherboard Rev. 2.0, BIOS F7
i7-870 2.93GHz Quad-Core Lynnfield
16GB Mushkin DDR3-1600Mhz (4x4GB)
ZOTAC ZT-20404-20L 1GB GeForce 240 128-bit DDR3 Graphics
Noctua NH-U9B SE2 CPU Cooler
Samsung SH-243N Dual Layer DVD/CD Burner 24x
LaCie FireWire 800 PCI Card: 3x FW800
Mushkin Calisto 480GB SATA II SSD system drive
COOLER MASTER Silent Pro M700 700W PS

citydog, what Pro Tools hardware and software do you intend to use? You mentioned Pro Tools 8, but what hardware?

I have a digidesign 003 factory+ rackmount

Just had great success with 2 x GA-Z77X-UP5-TH systems running 2 X Apogee Rosettas on the first rig and an Apogee Symphony 16x16 I/O on the second - both running Protools 10.3.2. very stably (Thanks Stork and Alfa!) Both systems are running 2 screens one on the secondary thunderbolt port and one on the HD4000 quite happily. Been mixing multiple 5.1 TV series on these with no downtime (yet!) Anyone fancy a box of old HD3 cards and SSL interfaces lol

Intel Core i7 3770K Quad Core IvyBridge Processor / Nanoxia Deep Silence 1 Black Ultimate / Samsung 250GB 840 Series SSD / be quiet! STRAIGHT POWER E9 CM 680W / Corsair H60 2013 Edition Hydro Series Liquid CPU Cooler / Corsair Memory Vengeance 32GB DDR3 1600 MHz CAS 10 XMP / 3x Seagate 3TB Performance SATA 3 Geekbench 64 bit around 17k

Only 8 more Protools to upgrade now !

Please Help:
in konsole i see :
kernel com_digidesign_IODigiUserClient: IOUserClient inputCount count mismatch
repeat for 100 times..
i try an propper working installation on 10.6.8 also 10 7.2 both with pro tools HD8.0.3 and 8.0.11
pro tools is working, but not stable..
i made installations with DSDT (via DSDTfixer) and without, but i cannot figure it out, whats happen?

My systemcomponents:
Jetway q67 mobo, zotac gs 8400 512mb,PSU Hamburg 530W, i7-2700K,Sandisc SSD 120GB

any ideas?
Moriartov
[h=1][/h]

Hi,
Don't the sata cables interfere with the very long pci-x cards on a Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 mobo ?
mark

I've just built my Hackintosh.. System info:

Foxconn n15235 H67-S chipset
Intel Core i7-2600
256Gb Solid State
16GB Ram
Nvidia Geforce Gt-620
A normal Firewire Card
M-Audio ProFire 610
OSX Lion 10.7 Unibeast
Pro Tools 8 M-Powered

With this installation, I used the PCI Configuration fix from Multibeast to get my card to work. Installed the Profire driver and it was up and running. Installed Pro Tools 8 M-Powered. Haven't tested it as yet but all system appear to be normal. I have internet via built-in ethernet as well..

Tried installing some plug-ins and it told me that my Pro Tools wasn't valid. I got this Pro Tools with the ProFire when I bought it from Sweetwater. Now working on this issue..

I've been having problems with protools 10.3.2 and one of my builds running 10.8.3

The app launches and works fine, nonetheless I've been having micro freezes when using it... and they appear randomly,
only lasting for a couple of seconds.

Hardware:
GA Z77X UD5H
16 GB RAM
Intel Core i7 3770K
MBox 003
nVidia 560 TI 2GB

I'm working on the same HD pro tools is installed, should I get another one?

thanks for the help¡

Hi,
Don't the sata cables interfere with the very long pci-x cards on a Gigabyte GA-H55-USB3 mobo ?
mark

No. I'm using all five by the cards, and the two on the side. The cables barely fit between the cards, but it works.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back