Contribute
Register

Hackintosh 4k Monitor

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

I've been looking at the buyer's guide for a monitor for my new hackintosh but am still undecided and want some recommendations from you.

To put this into context, I am going to be dual booting Windows 10 and OSX Sierra.
The mac part will be used for Music Production (ableton, logic pro) while the windows part will be for gaming (both high end games such as GTA V, Far Cry, Assassins Creed; and older games such as Age of Empires, Zoo Tycoon, Simpsons hit'n'run etc)

I am going to get a skylake cpu, as Kaby Lake is not compatible with hacks yet, although maybe by the time I build the hack there will be support. My gpu will be a single Geforce 1080ti. 32gb of RAM.

Now I don't really know all too much about monitors and was hoping you guys could answer some questions I have.

1. Some older games may not support 4k, so if I downscale to 1440p or 1080p will the image quality still be alright?
2. What size 4k monitor do you recommend, as I don't want to have tiny text when using Logic or gaming.
3. I am looking at monitors which have IPS, HDR, 144Hz and NVIDIA G-Sync, listed are the 4k ones I have found (some are released this year.)
- Asus ROG Swift PG27UQ
- Acer Predator xb272-HDR
- Acer Predator X27
4. The previous were all 27inch 4k, is this going to be big enough for something like Logic Pro in 4k (or can I downscale), or will I need a second 1080p monitor for productivity uses?
5. As mentioned earlier I want a single 1080ti, however with a refresh rate of 144Hz in 4k, will games be able to be run with just one of these, or will I need 2 in SLI.
6. Last but not least, is hackintosh compatible with the required Displayport 1.4??

I know these are a lot of questions lol, but I really need a great monitor like these ones and need to know if all of this is possible before splashing the cash.

Thanks in advance for the help you may offer.

Last edited:
1. In my experience and to my eyes, HiDPI scaling works very well.
2. I don't know which 4K monitors are best for gaming, but the ones you have looked at seem pretty good.
3. See #2.
4. I used a 27" 4K monitor for a while. While I was able to see everything at native resolution, it was not comfortable. I ended up scaling to 3200x1800. If you want to use the native 3840x2160 resolution, I think that 32" or larger would be a much better choice. Since everyone's eyes are different, your milage will almost certainly vary.
5. From everything I've read about the GTX 1080Ti, I think a single card should suffice.
6. I don't think macOS cares if you are using DisplayPort 1.0 or 1.4 or whatever. I think the important thing is to make sure your monitor supports it, if that's what you want to use.

Btw, official Kaby Lake support is supposed to be coming with the release of macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

1. In my experience and to my eyes, HiDPI scaling works very well.
2. I don't know which 4K monitors are best for gaming, but the ones you have looked at seem pretty good.
3. See #2.
4. I used a 27" 4K monitor for a while. While I was able to see everything at native resolution, it was not comfortable. I ended up scaling to 3200x1800. If you want to use the native 3840x2160 resolution, I think that 32" or larger would be a much better choice. Since everyone's eyes are different, your milage will almost certainly vary.
5. From everything I've read about the GTX 1080Ti, I think a single card should suffice.
6. I don't think macOS cares if you are using DisplayPort 1.0 or 1.4 or whatever. I think the important thing is to make sure your monitor supports it, if that's what you want to use.

Btw, official Kaby Lake support is supposed to be coming with the release of macOS Sierra 10.12.6.

Thanks!

Do you know if you can use a 144hz monitor at 60hz?

They should be able to.

Hey pastrychef, quick question do you think the Intel HD Graphics 630 may be able to handle a 4K-60Hz monitor?

60Hz should be fine on DisplayPort.

60Hz should be fine on DisplayPort.

Yes I have the manual here for my Z370 (Intel HD Graphics 630).
One of the HDMI ports is 4096x2160@60Hz
2nd HDMI port 4096x2160@30Hz
The display port 4096x2304@60Hz

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back