Contribute
Register

Hack Pro Take 2, its time to upgrade (its almost done)

Status
Not open for further replies.
ptmays,

Thanks for the help I seem to have successfully soldered the 24 pin ATX cable with 8 pin mini molex and also the power button and LED for the power switch seems to be working as well. It was actually easier than I thought. After watching the video tutorial you sent, I gave it a few shots, and did exactly what the guy said and learnt to solder.

My concern now is the SATA harness cable, for hot swap hard disk racks. The cables are all in black on the harness, as usual with all Apple cables. I found 2x 4 pin Molex connectors laying around. I tried to follow your diagram but still, it's pretty confusing for a beginner. And I'm not keen to make any mistakes because I only have the one hot swap SATA harness cable. Perhaps you could do a quick sketch in paint or something like the previous aquamac diagrams. A diagrams drawn for noobs like myself, that would be good.

Also, I was wondering if you have any tips soldering SATA to the USB? It's not like the other two lots of cables. The wires are micro thin, on both SATA and USB.. And almost impossible to get a perfect strip on the insulation without cutting any of the wires. Very hard. Any suggestions?

Hope to hear from you soon. Thanks again.

I will see what I can do on a diagram after work today, as for the USB/Sata cable, it is by far the hardest one to get right. If you dont get it on the first try dont feel bad, the best trick I can tell you on it is to have good wire strippers below is a link to the kind I used and I would never do a wiring project with out them.

http://www.radioshack.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3932546

Thanks for the quick response and for your advice. I'll be going going to my local hardware store and hopefully they sell them.

You won't believe it.. I have bent only a few CPU socket pins on my motherboard and it stopped working. I had order another identical one from eBay. That's $260 down the drain.

Hopefully I get it all working soon. I was wondering how am I suppose to buy a couple foot of that Trim-Lok X1002? The seller doesn't accept messages and I dont think they ships overseas. What should I do?

Time to upgrade the video card, I have a Sapphire Vapor X HD 5770 1GB coming tomorrow. According to toleda guide this one has good HDMI audio support, and should be a good upgrade from my GT240.

I have friend who I am going to build a Hackintosh for out of my old spare parts so he may be getting my GT240 as it is still a very good video card, just will not do 5.1 surround sound over the HDMI port.

I also have a ASUS EAH5770 CUCORE that I'm trying to sell.

I really need help with the hot swap hard drive cables. A diagram would be good. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back