Not open for further replies.
Motherboard
Gigabyte GA-Z370N WIFI
CPU
i7-8700
Graphics
UHD 630
GA-H97N-WIFI / Yosemite / Clover Questions

I started this project with pretty much the simplest build in the buyers guide. This is what I have:

CustoMac Mini

GA-H97N-WIFI hardware version 1.0 Flashed to F6
Intel i5 4460 3.2 Ghz CPU
16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Memory
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
Apex MI-008 Case

The only thing that I deviated from was the choice in a bit more processor

The physical build went great, no surprises. I installed Windows 7 Pro on it just to make sure I was working with a known good system. Ran smooth and quick enough.

Installed Yosemite using the Unibeast method. A couple of trials and errors and I had a pretty stable system. But my end goal was to end up with a Clover installation because I understand there are advantages to doing it this way. iMessage for one.

Using the "How to Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover" guide...

Creating the USB installation and installing Clover on the USB was no problem. Was able to boot and install on my CustoMac. But after installing Clover on the CustoMac to make the system bootable, that is where the trouble starts. After rebooting, I will get a black screen with an "underscore" in the upper left of the screen. During one installation I was getting an error message about APCI???, I don't remember exactly, it was late and I had done this about a dozen times...

So I have some questions regarding the "How to Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover" guide.

1. The guide states that there are different ways to setup clover on the usb. Using Legacy mode is the simplest and most reliable for 5-9 series Gigabyte motherboards which is what I have correct? Does this mean that the motherboard BIOS needs to be set for Legacy only boot, UEFI only or the Auto setting? And should that setting remain the same or be changed back to UEFI after installation?

2. When installing clover to the target system, not the USB installation, there are 2 example configurations given. One for UEFI capable systems, and one for BIOS only systems. My system is UEFI capable but BIOS is going to be set for LEGACY,right? So which clover configuration is appropriate???

3. When I am copying the kernel extensions to the EFI partition on the target system, not the usb, in the download area that is linked to in the guide, I do not see the kernel extensions that I used during the Unibeast method that worked for my network interfaces, namely the Intel and Atheros, kext's. Where can I find those files???

4. Do I need to edit the config.plist, or will the generic one for desktop HD 4600 work??

Maybe someone who has built this exact system with clover could give me some tips... please?

Thanks for your time,
Will

I started this project with pretty much the simplest build in the buyers guide. This is what I have:

CustoMac Mini

GA-H97N-WIFI hardware version 1.0 Flashed to F6
Intel i5 4460 3.2 Ghz CPU
16 GB Crucial Ballistix Sport Memory
Samsung 850 EVO 250 GB SSD
Apex MI-008 Case

The only thing that I deviated from was the choice in a bit more processor

The physical build went great, no surprises. I installed Windows 7 Pro on it just to make sure I was working with a known good system. Ran smooth and quick enough.

Installed Yosemite using the Unibeast method. A couple of trials and errors and I had a pretty stable system. But my end goal was to end up with a Clover installation because I understand there are advantages to doing it this way. iMessage for one.

Using the "How to Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover" guide...

Creating the USB installation and installing Clover on the USB was no problem. Was able to boot and install on my CustoMac. But after installing Clover on the CustoMac to make the system bootable, that is where the trouble starts. After rebooting, I will get a black screen with an "underscore" in the upper left of the screen. During one installation I was getting an error message about APCI???, I don't remember exactly, it was late and I had done this about a dozen times...

So I have some questions regarding the "How to Install OS X Yosemite Using Clover" guide.

1. The guide states that there are different ways to setup clover on the usb. Using Legacy mode is the simplest and most reliable for 5-9 series Gigabyte motherboards which is what I have correct? Does this mean that the motherboard BIOS needs to be set for Legacy only boot, UEFI only or the Auto setting? And should that setting remain the same or be changed back to UEFI after installation? Follow the Guide for the Gigabyte BIOS setting. Once you set this up correctly, both Unibeast and Clover will work fine.

2. When installing clover to the target system, not the USB installation, there are 2 example configurations given. One for UEFI capable systems, and one for BIOS only systems. My system is UEFI capable but BIOS is going to be set for LEGACY,right? So which clover configuration is appropriate??? UEFI capable is what i chose and it seem to work fine fo

3. When I am copying the kernel extensions to the EFI partition on the target system, not the usb, in the download area that is linked to in the guide, I do not see the kernel extensions that I used during the Unibeast method that worked for my network interfaces, namely the Intel and Atheros, kext's. Where can I find those files??? download the kext from the link in the guide. I was not able to get the ethernet working using Apple Kext. I downloaded AtherosE2200Ethernet.kext by just goggleing around which worked for me. Only thing is it's uses the LAN1 on back of the MB.

4. Do I need to edit the config.plist, or will the generic one for desktop HD 4600 work??Start with the HD4600 which is what i did and seem to be working fine for me.

Maybe someone who has built this exact system with clover could give me some tips... please? My config is listed below.

Thanks for your time,
Will

H97N-WIFi - F5 Bios
GIGABYTE GA-H97N-WIFI (BIOS v.F4)
Intel Core i5-4690k
Intel HD 4600
Crucial Ballistix 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR3 1600 (PC3 12800)
SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB SSD
2 x ACER monitors connected via HDMI
OS X 10.10.2

Successful - install, boot and Ethernet
pending - Audio.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back