Contribute
Register

H87 D3H Moutain Lion INstall successful but graphics card causing problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you confirm your current configuration ?

GTX760-DVI--------------------DVI-Monitor ?
RAM installed ?
Any other cards installed ?
Hard drives / SSDs ?
Operating System ? Thread is in Mountain Lion Desktop Support but Mavericks would be more appropriate for your configuration (I think).
System Definition selected from Multibeast ?

Hi Adrian I don't have iMac 14,2 visible in my MultiBeast install under system definitions the highest I have is 13,2. If when I find that do I have to remove the previous one, if so how do i do that.

Cheers
Dan

I am forgetting that 14,2 became available with mavericks. Mountain Lion iMacs were Ivy Bridge hardware. Your GTX 760 is not initialising for the installation. I am starting to think that we should try an installation of Mavericks.

You can try using npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 combined with other flags but I would give PCIRootUID=4 a go on its own initially.

Adrian B

Hi P1lgrim

If you look at my first quote #1 in this post for a full overview.

Graphics Card: EVGA GTX 760 connected to display Dell U2413 via DVI-D. There are HDMI ports on both but I don't have a lead yet.

Ram: Corsair Vengeance Samsung 2x2Gb DDR3 PC1333 (Had problems whilst trying to install 10.6.8, so keeping this in until all good)
I have bought Corsair Vengeance 32gb (4x8Gb) RAM for this build, as per recommendations from buyers guide but has since been removed due to problems with deadbeef errors i think. But I do want to try and put this in to see if it'll work it's just that I put the graphics card in first.

PCI Slot Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900

SATA 0: Solid State HD (OSx/Applications): Samsung EVO840 250gb

System definitions as per "Ryans first Hackintosh" thread
Chose DSDT free installation with the following
Drivers - Disk - 3rd Party SATA
Drivers - Misc - Fake SMC v5.3.820
Drivers - System - Apple RTCPatch for CMOS Reset
Bootloaders - Chimera v2.2.1
Boot Options - Basic Boot Options, Generate CPU States, Hibernate Mode - Desktop, Use KernalCache,
System Def - Mac Pro - Mac Pro 3,1
Audio - ALC898 plus HDAEnabler
Disk - 3rd Party SATA plus 10.9.0 TRIM Patch
Misc - USB 3.0 Universal by Zenith432
Network - Intel hnak's AppleIntelE1000e v2.4.14
Customize - Only added 1080p Display Mode, left all else the same

Cheers

Dan

If you look at my first quote #1 in this post for a full overview.

Yes, I read that but because things have changed between now and then I wanted to confirm.

For instance, there are inconsistencies:

Your profile says 4770 but Post #1 says 4770K CPU.

If the RAM you are using is not on Gigabyte's compatibility list for your motherboard that could be an issue.

I would suggest a fresh build with Mavericks.
Set the BIOS to optimised defaults.
VT-d doesn't matter if you do indeed have a 4770K CPU.

I would build using the onboard graphics with the GTX760 and the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 removed.
Install just one stick of approved RAM for the build.

Build with boot flags -v -x

For system definition I would use iMac13,1

Once the build is complete and stable, add in the GTX760.
Test and when stable, add in the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900.

Good Luck

I am forgetting that 14,2 became available with mavericks. Mountain Lion iMacs were Ivy Bridge hardware. Your GTX 760 is not initialising for the installation. I am starting to think that we should try an installation of Mavericks.

You can try using npci=0x2000 or npci=0x3000 combined with other flags but I would give PCIRootUID=4 a go on its own initially.

Adrian B

Hi Adrian
OK tried those other options still didn't get me in.
Also ran with
-v
PCIRootUID=4
THis is what I got
DSC_1002.jpg
Cheers
Dan

Hi Adrian
Yes all was good no boot prompts required. See below of what I did. I was after an answer to Question 1 too as I didn't want to get too far away from it being a good install. If the graphics card isn't going to work i'll just sell it.

After a successful install of Mountain Lion, then started up again using unibeast but no success in getting to boot unless i put in following boot prompts,
-x

Once in using the safe mode -x boot prompt I did following installs with multibeast
Chose DSDT free installation with the following as per Ryans success install.
Boot Options - Basic Boot Options, Generate CPU States, Hibernate Mode - Desktop, Use KernalCache,
Audio - ALC898 plus HDAEnabler

This all worked well enabled restarts without and boot prompts.

Question 1. How can I check that this install is running effectively and not always in a safe mode, with unwanted boot prompts permanently embedded or kexts I don't need. Just before I proceed too far with doing extra work I want this to be a clean and reliable install. Then I'll go ahead and buy another SSD and Clone the Start Up so I have a brilliant copy for back ups.

Step i'm at now, i've tried putting in Graphics card, changed BIOS settings to reflect PCIE 1, then plugged DVI cable into Graphics card, Only way I can get it to boot is with these boot prompts, otherwise I end up with frozen grey Apple Screen
-x
GraphicsEnabler=No

Cheers Dan

Danniels

Ok what is the version of Mountain Lion that you downloaded.
And was used to make the UniBeast USB.

I had major issues w 10.8.5 in the video area w nVidia cards.
Especially when booting up .
Used my 10.8.4 to install and it worked. (this will not work w your CPU and MB.)
w my EGA nVidia Card.
Then Combo Updated to 10.8.5 and used the MultiBEast version for that version to install nVidia drivers for 10.8.4. RollBack the video... Or use the nVidia Drivers....for that version of OSX. (10.8.4)

One thing of note is that not all nVidia cards from all manufactures will work... this situation has been around for along time - manufactures make their own Video BIOS which may or may not play nicely w OSX. And can cause lots of issues w Hacks.

YOu may want to split the SSd into two parts and then when you have the base system working w intel video then dupe it to the other partition and boot from 2nd partition to confirm that it works then update one of the partitions for the video as discussed then boot and check that way you can roll back.
Once you have this done and all is working you can delete the 2nd partition and rejoin that to the 1st partition making it whole again (DISK UTILITIES).

Just remembered that your hardware is Haswell ... you will need to use the 10.8.5 as you base OSX version. You will need to install this version for support for HASWELL.

So then I suggest once you have this working on intel video then to roll back the video to 10.8.4
from the version of MultiBeast that has it for 10.8.4 from archives. And use this video drivers for this purpose.
See this link for info on that
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/101270-nvidia-updates-web-drivers-10-8-4-313-01-02f01.html

Also GB earlier posts in this thread are valid to set up the startup switches.

Danniels

Ok what is the version of Mountain Lion that you downloaded.
And was used to make the UniBeast USB.

I had major issues w 10.8.5 in the video area w nVidia cards.
Especially when booting up .
Used my 10.8.4 to install and it worked. (this will not work w your CPU and MB.)
w my EGA nVidia Card.
Then Combo Updated to 10.8.5 and used the MultiBEast version for that version to install nVidia drivers for 10.8.4. RollBack the video... Or use the nVidia Drivers....for that version of OSX. (10.8.4)

One thing of note is that not all nVidia cards from all manufactures will work... this situation has been around for along time - manufactures make their own Video BIOS which may or may not play nicely w OSX. And can cause lots of issues w Hacks.

YOu may want to split the SSd into two parts and then when you have the base system working w intel video then dupe it to the other partition and boot from 2nd partition to confirm that it works then update one of the partitions for the video as discussed then boot and check that way you can roll back.
Once you have this done and all is working you can delete the 2nd partition and rejoin that to the 1st partition making it whole again (DISK UTILITIES).

Just remembered that your hardware is Haswell ... you will need to use the 10.8.5 as you base OSX version. You will need to install this version for support for HASWELL.

So then I suggest once you have this working on intel video then to roll back the video to 10.8.4
from the version of MultiBeast that has it for 10.8.4 from archives. And use this video drivers for this purpose.
See this link for info on that
http://www.tonymacx86.com/graphics/101270-nvidia-updates-web-drivers-10-8-4-313-01-02f01.html

Also GB earlier posts in this thread are valid to set up the startup switches.

Hi toten

Thanks for your reply, but unfortunately you have confused me, sorry i'm new to this. I'm enjoying the learning but that has gone way over my head. If you can explain further.

To update I have just updated the BIOS to f8 for Motherboard as they have just released one. And Yes the Mountain Lion version I have is 10.8.5.

Do you need me to create 2 partitions still or because I have a HASWELL and 10.8.4 won't boot for this just stick with one.

So i'm doing 1 partition with 10.8.5, graphics card and Wifi Card removed. Install with -v -x, then multibeast
Choose DSDT free installation with the following as per Ryans success install.
Audio - Realtek[SUP]®[/SUP] ALC892 codec

Or can you recommend a bare minimum to select until I have it stable.Also which system definition do you think is suited. Then once this is all good I can try to install graphics card, once installed use the other version of multibeast
http://www.tonymacx86.com/373-multibeast-5-4-update.html
and then install the relevant driver from this version.

Or would it be better to use the Nvidia Driver Manager.

Or
http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-313.01.02f01-driver.html

Then once that driver is loaded i'll try that.

Thanks in advance Dan

Yes, I read that but because things have changed between now and then I wanted to confirm.

For instance, there are inconsistencies:

Your profile says 4770 but Post #1 says 4770K CPU.

If the RAM you are using is not on Gigabyte's compatibility list for your motherboard that could be an issue.

I would suggest a fresh build with Mavericks.
Set the BIOS to optimised defaults.
VT-d doesn't matter if you do indeed have a 4770K CPU.

I would build using the onboard graphics with the GTX760 and the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 removed.
Install just one stick of approved RAM for the build.

Build with boot flags -v -x

For system definition I would use iMac13,1

Once the build is complete and stable, add in the GTX760.
Test and when stable, add in the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900.

Good Luck

Hi P1lgrim

OK all seems to be going good I updated the BIOS driver as a new one had come out since I last did my flash update to f8, the new one came out 2/5/14, Optimised defaults and did nothing else. I also did as you recommended. I built with 2x8Gb Corsair Vengeance as I have to have it in pairs. I removed the GTX760 and TP-Link built using -v -x, I then checked over and seemed to be stable restarts shutdowns ok with no boot prompts needed. I did run in Verbose and I did see a few errors but it went so fast, think something about SMCI. I have had 1 spinning wheel on startup and 1 weird black text on shut down. On about 10 controlled shutdowns and restarts. Installed so far and appears to be OK:

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H
Processor: Intel Quad Core i7-4770K
SATA 0: Solid State HD (OSx/Applications): Samsung EVO840 250gb
Ram: Corsair Vengeance 4x8Gb DDR3
SATA 5: Optical drive: LiteOn IHAS124-04 24xSATA
PSU: Corsair CXM500W modular
Case: Corsair Carbide 500R
Display: Dell U2413 connnect via DVI
Keyboard: Apple
Mouse: Dell

I'd like you to check the images below as I did minimal work in MultiBeast, and I also changed the GraphicsEnabler=No after installing the GTX760, just so you can let me know if you'd recommend me changing anything.

Screen Shot 2014-05-17 at 14.57.28.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-17 at 14.57.34.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-17 at 14.59.19.pngScreen Shot 2014-05-17 at 14.59.33.png

The Plan now is to install one thing at a time and keep testing:-
Wireless: TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900
Storage Drive: Western Digital Caviar Black 2Tb

Then I'll go ahead and buy another SSD and Clone the Start Up so I have a brilliant copy for back ups. Is this the best way to go about it and is Carbon Copy Cloner the best way, In your experience do I have to have the same sized SSD to make a bootable clone.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Cheers a very happy

Dan
:D

Edit:

Installed TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 and Mountain Lion Wouldn't boot.Below is the image I took.
DSC_1004.jpg
I was able to boot in safe mode,

So I removed the TP-LINK TL-WDN4800 N900 card but I am still getting the above errors and I am no longer able to boot into Mountain Lion unless in safe mode.

Please help it was all going so well.
:D:banghead:

Cheers
Dan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back