GTX 1080
Mac
  1. iMac
Classic Mac
  1. Apple
Mobile Phone
  1. Android
Hello!

I can choose between Gigabyte H81M-DS2 or H81M-S2PV (both around 40$).
I know that i can't use VGA, so I will use a GPU.

Will it work? And also with an i3 4130? Can you recommend a cheap Motherboard?

Thank you! :beachball:

With this version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128693
you've at least got onboard HDMI if you ever need to use integrated graphics.

The S2PV would give you a DVI output option. The HD 4400 can be made to work on a
desktop with a few kexts and .plist changes. If you spend slightly more for the I3-4330
you can have igfx working without any changes at all. HD4600 is supported by OS X.

With this version http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128693
you've at least got onboard HDMI if you ever need to use integrated graphics.

The S2PV would give you a DVI output option. The HD 4400 can be made to work on a
desktop with a few kexts and .plist changes. If you spend slightly more for the I3-4330
you can have igfx working without any changes at all. HD4600 is supported by OS X.

Thank you! :)

Yes, but I want to install a Radeon HD 5xxx for low-end-gaming etc. So it's not important for me that I can use the integrated graphics.

I found a refurbished H81M-H also for 40$. Should I buy it? Will it work with a GPU (like a HD 5xxx)? And LAN and Wifi // Sound?
:clap:

AND which rev.? 1.0, 2.0 or 2.1

Hello!

I can choose between Gigabyte H81M-DS2 or H81M-S2PV (both around 40$).
I know that i can't use VGA, so I will use a GPU.

Will it work? And also with an i3 4130? Can you recommend a cheap Motherboard?

Thank you! :beachball:

Those two boards are functionally almost identical, except the GA-H81M-DS2 has no usable (for Mac OS X) graphics port, and has 3 PCIe slots, while the GA-H81M-S2PV has a DVI port but only two PCIe slots (plus two PCI slots). I would go with the GA-H81M-S2PV since it does have the DVI port to fall back on (just in case something happens to your GPU down the road, for example).

Either choice will work with an i3-4130. Here are some other options in the same general price range (about $50 and under), along with any features that differentiate them (don't get me started on the topic of Why does a motherboard manufacturer need dozens upon dozens of different models in their product lines?):

• Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-B85M-Gaming 3 (Intel LAN instead of Realtek, 6 SATA ports instead of 4)
  • Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 (HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI)
  • Gigabyte GA-H81M-H (? = nothing very special)
  • MSI H81M-P33 (?)
  • MSI H81M-E33 (?)
  • ASUS H81M-A (?)
  • ASUS H81M-K (?)
  • ASUS H81M-D PLUS (has S/PDIF audio out)
  • ASUS B85M-G R2.0 (has 4 RAM slots instead of 2; however, it's unclear whether this board's Realtek ALC887-VD2 audio codec is supported by the ALC887 driver)

You didn't say what your usage of this machine will be, but if you don't need a discrete GPU for gaming or other graphics-intensive purpose, you can probably save yourself a little money by replacing the i3-4130 with an i3-4330 (about $20 difference), and going with one of the other motherboard choices (I would probably choose the Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3, just because it has HDMI, DP, and DVI), using the HD 4600 graphics; you'll probably come out a little ahead because you didn't have to buy a GPU.

Those two boards are functionally almost identical, except the GA-H81M-DS2 has no usable (for Mac OS X) graphics port, and has 3 PCIe slots, while the GA-H81M-S2PV has a DVI port but only two PCIe slots (plus two PCI slots). I would go with the GA-H81M-S2PV since it does have the DVI port to fall back on (just in case something happens to your GPU down the road, for example).

Either choice will work with an i3-4130. Here are some other options in the same general price range (about $50 and under), along with any features that differentiate them (don't get me started on the topic of Why does a motherboard manufacturer need dozens upon dozens of different models in their product lines?):

• Gigabyte G1 Gaming GA-B85M-Gaming 3 (Intel LAN instead of Realtek, 6 SATA ports instead of 4)
  • Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3 (HDMI, DisplayPort, and DVI)
  • Gigabyte GA-H81M-H (? = nothing very special)
  • MSI H81M-P33 (?)
  • MSI H81M-E33 (?)
  • ASUS H81M-A (?)
  • ASUS H81M-K (?)
  • ASUS H81M-D PLUS (has S/PDIF audio out)
  • ASUS B85M-G R2.0 (has 4 RAM slots instead of 2; however, it's unclear whether this board's Realtek ALC887-VD2 audio codec is supported by the ALC887 driver)

You didn't say what your usage of this machine will be, but if you don't need a discrete GPU for gaming or other graphics-intensive purpose, you can probably save yourself a little money by replacing the i3-4130 with an i3-4330 (about $20 difference), and going with one of the other motherboard choices (I would probably choose the Gigabyte GA-H81M-HD3, just because it has HDMI, DP, and DVI), using the HD 4600 graphics; you'll probably come out a little ahead because you didn't have to buy a GPU.

So I'm gonna buy the H81M-H Board? Because it has a HDMI-Port and the S2PV only a DVI-Port.

So I'm gonna buy the H81M-H Board? Because it has a HDMI-Port and the S2PV only a DVI-Port.

If you can buy the latest revision new from Newegg.com or wherever you shop, go with that rather than taking a chance on a used board that has no warranty or return options. The few dollars saved won't mean much.

If you can buy the latest revision new from Newegg.com or wherever you shop, go with that rather than taking a chance on a used board that has no warranty or return options. The few dollars saved won't mean much.

Ok, thanks :)

And my GPU is: Zotac nVidia GTX 560 Ti with 2GB GDDR5 RAM. Will it work?
I know, pretty huge thing for this kind of board :D

Ok, thanks :)

And my GPU is: Zotac nVidia GTX 560 Ti with 2GB GDDR5 RAM. Will it work?
I know, pretty huge thing for this kind of board :D

Put the full model name and number into search and see what past
experience with it has shown.

Put the full model name and number into search and see what past
experience with it has shown.

No results :(
It's this one

Some people have problems, but should a Radeon HD 6xxx work better?

Some people have problems, but should a Radeon HD 6xxx work better?

The Nvidia Kepler cards would be a better option if you want an older card.
Examples would be GT640 GTX650 or 670/760. OOB compatible with OS X.

I would go with something much newer than that if getting a new graphics card.
The new Nvidia GTX 950 is very affordable if you don't need over 2GB of vRam.
Of course you'd need to use the Web drivers with that or the 960.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back