Contribute
Register

[GUIDE/Workaround] Using Intel HD530 with Dual Monitors

I installed Sierra.

I use DisplayPort from the beginning, in BIOS as well as in macOS. You definitely should get a signal there. Have you checked your monitor? And tried to switch the input channel?
Right now I think it might be the displayport-> Mini DisplayPort cable .. I will look for a displayport to displayport cable later and check again.

I'm trying to figure out to get working dual displays but I'm failing...
spec: asus z170 pro gaming, i7-6700k, hd 530. Sierra 10.12.4
2 monitors: Benq connected with DVI and LG connected via HDMI

smbios 17,1 and 15,1:
on bios 2 monitors are working, when apple logo is loading the DVI monitor is going to sleep and showing no source. in the system only hdmi monitor is working and the second one is not visible. (display preferences showing only hdmi monitor). When I connect only dvi monitor macOS recognise him well same as when only hdmi monitor is connected.

On smbios 14,1 and 14,2:
when each monitor is connected individually, they works good but when they are both connected the dvi monitor is going to sleep but he is still recognised by the macOS. The screen is black with no source but when I'm moving cursor over desktop I can feel the extra space next to hdmi monitor. Also in display preference both are displaying but when I'm trying to change any setting (resolution i.e) I got system freeze.

What I checked:
-inject ig-platform-id - 1912000
-patch for 4 displays and map 2 ports to hdmi (in my case port 5 is DVI, port 6 is HDMI).

I tried many configurations with injects ig-platform-id or not (igpu is recognised as hd 7000)
also tried old and new version of 4 display patch (new with extra bytes, old - shorter)
tried patch port 0x5 connector type to 2, 8 or left default 4 (as for dvi, hdmi, or dp) but without success.

Attachments

• ss2j.jpg
    ss2j.jpg
    212.9 KB · Views: 245
  • ss3j.jpg
    ss3j.jpg
    434.7 KB · Views: 244
  • ss1.jpg
    ss1.jpg
    471.5 KB · Views: 243
@neufrin It currently isn't possible to boot with both displays connected and get a signal on both of them. You have to hot-plug one of the displays after boot.

I have the Gigabyte H110N, which is like Dreamcat's z170x enough that my port definitions (and issues) are the same. I just wanted to report that adding the following to my config.plist brought my HD 530 up to 4K resolution over HDMI. The scaling is still not quite right (it's "1080p-looking" or "4k looking" with nothing in between) but it's a big step forward. Thanks for sharing!

My motherboard is a Gigabyte GA-Z170X-Gaming 3. That has VGA, DSUB, and HDMI. So (and with the 4 port patch) according to the utility IORegistryExplorer, the ports are shown to be:

AppleIntelFramebuffer@0 = port 0x0 (is this one for the VGA? or its empty / not-used ? ).
AppleIntelFramebuffer@1 = port 0x5 (confirmed as the HDMI port).
AppleIntelFramebuffer@2 = port 0x6 (confirmed as the DVI port).
===
AppleIntelFramebuffer@0
port 0x00
connector-type 0x 02 00 00

AppleIntelFramebuffer@1
port 0x05
connector-type 0x 08 00 00
Display0 —> is connected to the HDMI tv

AppleIntelFramebuffer@2
port 0x06
connector-type 0x 02 00 00
Display0 -> is connected to the DVI monitor

AppleIntelFramebuffer@3
port 0x00
connector-type 0x 01 00 00

Displayport = 40,000
HDMI = 80,000
DVI = 20,000
===
HTML:
        <key>KextsToPatch</key>
        <array>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>10.11.4-SKL-AIFB1-port0x5-DP2HDMI</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AQUJAAAEAACHAQAA
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <string>AppleIntelSKLGraphicsFramebuffer</string>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AQUJAAAIAACHAQAA
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>10.11.4-SKL-AIFB2-port0x6-DP2DVI</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AgQKAAAEAACHAQAA
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AgQKAAACAACHAQAA
                </data>
            </dict>
            <dict>
                <key>Comment</key>
                <string>10.11-SKL-1912000-4_displays</string>
                <key>Disabled</key>
                <false/>
                <key>Find</key>
                <data>
                AQMDAw==
                </data>
                <key>Name</key>
                <key>Replace</key>
                <data>
                AQMEAw==
                </data>
            </dict>
            . . .

This is my plist and IO file.
I find i have two `display 0`,but port 7 is black screen.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 108
  • config.plist
    6.5 KB · Views: 217
  • IOService.ioreg
    4.5 MB · Views: 120
  • port6.png
    port6.png
    417.1 KB · Views: 155
  • port7.png
    port7.png
    392.4 KB · Views: 127
Last edited:
Hi everyone,

So I'm very close to getting dual displays working with this HP ProDesk 600 G2. It has 2xDP, 1xVGA as ports. I can boot with a display connected to either DP. When hotplugging one direction the system powers down/crashes. When I hotplug the other direction sometimes I get two displays, however there are no windows (just the cursor), and it alternates between an arrow and the SBBoD. So the graphics appear to work, but something is crashing on the software side of things.

I applied steps 1, 2, and 3 (not 4, since the port types are all DP and looked correct in IOReg). Any ideas?

Thanks for the info, it works on HD630 as well (i7 7700k on Z270)
But I must turn off one of the monitor to get into OS when booting , otherwise it will stuck in login screen

@dreamcat, did you get two displays working? I get the same Graphics Driver crashing you mentioned as "Issue #1" in post 48.

Hi everyone,

So I'm very close to getting dual displays working with this HP ProDesk 600 G2. It has 2xDP, 1xVGA as ports. I can boot with a display connected to either DP. When hotplugging one direction the system powers down/crashes. When I hotplug the other direction sometimes I get two displays, however there are no windows (just the cursor), and it alternates between an arrow and the SBBoD. So the graphics appear to work, but something is crashing on the software side of things.

I applied steps 1, 2, and 3 (not 4, since the port types are all DP and looked correct in IOReg). Any ideas?

If your FB@ patch is correct, dual monitors should work when they are in same display scale. Avoid to use 4 display FB patch, unless it is necessary, secondary monitor is linked to FB@ 0306 port 0x07. You can create your own FB@ patch, the best is, one patch for all ports

If you are using same scale monitors but one is black screen, another work fine, you may need resxtreme.app, because sometime system can not detect monitor EDID correctly.

Same display scale not equal to same resolution, for example my system is LG 21:9 + AOC 16:9, I have no success when dual display system using different display scales, need to force LG 21:9 to 16:9 by change my FB@ patch from 00080000 to 02000000 or 01000000, then work.

Attachments

• dual display 1.png
    dual display 1.png
    42.4 KB · Views: 352
  • dual display 2.png
    dual display 2.png
    108.8 KB · Views: 396
Back