Contribute
Register

[Guide] Toshiba Z30-A macOS 10.12.1 [UEFI mode]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your setup for backlight looks correct.
If it is not working, then it is likely your laptop does not use the IGPU PWM registers to control the screen backlight.
Therefore it is not compatible with AppleBacklight.kext.

I previously tried the other two methods, using ACPIBacklight.kext and IntelBacklight.kext, making sure to re-patch the DSDT with the appropriate patch with each one (regular "Brightness Fix" and "Brightness Fix (Haswell/Broadwell)), and they also did not work. They did make the screen slightly brighter by default, however.

Note: Your files in ACPI/origin are too old to compare against ACPI/patched (you forgot to press F4 as per "Problem Reporting").

How would they ever change? Wouldn't a previous F4 extraction vs. a new one pull the exact same stuff from the hardware, since I never changed anything in the BIOS settings? I'll gladly do a new extraction if you think it would make a difference in your analysis, I just didn't think it would be possible for a new extraction to be any different, since I never changed anything in the BIOS settings since the previous extraction.

I attached a new problem report, this time with the most current DSDT/SSDT files extracted with Clover.

Attachments

• MezmaronProblemReport2.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 113
Last edited:
I previously tried the other two methods, using ACPIBacklight.kext and IntelBacklight.kext, making sure to re-patch the DSDT with the appropriate patch with each one (regular "Brightness Fix" and "Brightness Fix (Haswell/Broadwell)), and they also did not work. They did make the screen slightly brighter by default, however.

IntelBacklight.kext only expected to work with macOS 10.12.3 and earlier (or 10.11).
Same goes for ACPIBacklight.kext.
If you want to test those kexts you must install 10.11.5 (or 10.12.3, 10.12.2, 10.12.1, 10.12.0 if you have one of them).

How would they ever change? Wouldn't a previous F4 extraction vs. a new one pull the exact same stuff from the hardware, since I never changed anything in the BIOS settings? I'll gladly do a new extraction if you think it would make a difference in your analysis, I just didn't think it would be possible for a new extraction to be any different, since I never changed anything in the BIOS settings since the previous extraction.

It makes no sense for me to spend the time comparing ACPI/patched against old files in ACPI/origin. This is why "Problem Reporting" clearly instructs you to extract new ones with F4.

I attached a new problem report, this time with the most current DSDT/SSDT files extracted with Clover.

Nothing wrong regarding backlight implementation here.
But you did forget to implement CPU PM. Also USB WiFI not recommended. And Google Chrome is hooking your USB ports. See FAQ.

I got the backlight working.

I went ahead and used tosbaha's "Fixing Brightness with Custom EDID" guide, and this did the trick. The brightness is now correct, and the slider works. This may also apply to the Toshiba Z-30 laptop covered in OP's guide since 10.12.4+.

The only things left not working on my Toshiba Tecra Z-50 now:

- Lid switch. Not only will it not go into sleep mode when closing the lid while on battery power, it also doesn't switch to external-monitor-only when closing the lid while plugged in. Are there any guides to help me figure this out?

- Alps V8 touchpad: I have this mostly working thanks to a version of DrHurt's VoodooPS2Controller.kext that I found. I would have preferred to use his version, but unfortunately when I downloaded his stuff with git and did the 'make' command, it did not produce a kext. Scrolling and other gestures work, but I cannot click and drag anything with the touchpad's buttons. Is there any guides available for making adjustments to this?

But you did forget to implement CPU PM. Also USB WiFI not recommended. And Google Chrome is hooking your USB ports. See FAQ.

I assume you mean implementing it by using the ssdtPRGen.sh script? If so, I didn't do this previously, but I went ahead and did it in light of your post. This didn't help with the lid. I also think that my SMBIOS setting is incorrect, since "About This Mac" reports a 2.59ghz CPU, when it is in fact only 2.0ghz. Is there a good guide for correcting that? Any pointers for getting it to detect the lid closing?

USB wifi is only temporary until my BCM94352Z card arrives. The Chrome USB setting is now disabled.

Thanks again for all of your help, and I also want to give a shout-out to @tosbaha for his guide!

Attachments

• MezmaronProblemReport3a.zip
    1.6 MB · Views: 103
I got the backlight working.

I went ahead and used tosbaha's "Fixing Brightness with Custom EDID" guide, and this did the trick. The brightness is now correct, and the slider works. This may also apply to the Toshiba Z-30 laptop covered in OP's guide since 10.12.4+.

But in fact, patching EDID is mentioned in the guide.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...rol-using-applebacklightinjector-kext.218222/

- Lid switch. Not only will it not go into sleep mode when closing the lid while on battery power, it also doesn't switch to external-monitor-only when closing the lid while plugged in. Are there any guides to help me figure this out?

Use ACPIDebug.kext to see if your _LID method is being called and is returning the correct values.
(read ACPI spec for better understanding of _LID).

- Alps V8 touchpad: I have this mostly working thanks to a version of DrHurt's VoodooPS2Controller.kext that I found. I would have preferred to use his version, but unfortunately when I downloaded his stuff with git and did the 'make' command, it did not produce a kext. Scrolling and other gestures work, but I cannot click and drag anything with the touchpad's buttons. Is there any guides available for making adjustments to this?

Keep in mind Xcode has strange defaults for build product location.
See Xcode->Preferences->Locations.

I assume you mean implementing it by using the ssdtPRGen.sh script? If so, I didn't do this previously, but I went ahead and did it in light of your post. This didn't help with the lid. I also think that my SMBIOS setting is incorrect, since "About This Mac" reports a 2.59ghz CPU, when it is in fact only 2.0ghz. Is there a good guide for correcting that? Any pointers for getting it to detect the lid closing?

MacBookAir6,2 is fine.
You can set CPU speed with config.plist/CPU/FrequencyMHz.

But in fact, patching EDID is mentioned in the guide.

I acknowledged this several posts back. I was hesitant to try it at first because I wasn't sure if it was valid for my hardware.

Use ACPIDebug.kext to see if your _LID method is being called and is returning the correct values.
(read ACPI spec for better understanding of _LID).

Thanks, I'll check this out!

Keep in mind Xcode has strange defaults for build product location.
See Xcode->Preferences->Locations.

I found it. It behaves the same. I'll have to dig into it and see how the functions work and see if I can fix it up to work properly with my hardware. It's an odd trackpad; it has 2 real buttons above the trackpad, and the bottom 2 corners also act as buttons by pressing down on the pad. The center portion of the pad also works as a left click when pushed down, and it seems that this does allow dragging, though it's a bit tough to use it that way.

You can set CPU speed with config.plist/CPU/FrequencyMHz.

Thanks, I'll put this in place!

I' ve Toshiba Z30-A-136.
I have tried lots of things but while installing the High Sierra I can not see my Toshiba PCIex SSD ( thnsnj256gmct).
I have booted the notebook with win10 and deleted all partitions and quit without create new partitions.
If I create the partitions this time High Sierra can see them but can not mount for erasing or partitioning.
There are a few attachment below.
Could you please help me about it?

Attachments

• IMG_6389.JPG
    IMG_6389.JPG
    3.8 MB · Views: 165
  • IMG_6390.JPG
    IMG_6390.JPG
    1.9 MB · Views: 156
Last edited:
I' ve Toshiba Z30-A-136.
I have tried lots of things but while installing the High Sierra I can not see my Toshiba PCIex SSD ( thnsnj256gmct).
I have booted the notebook with win10 and deleted all partitions and quit without create new partitions.
If I create the partitions this time High Sierra can see them but can not mount for erasing or partitioning.
There are a few attachment below.
Could you please help me about it?

No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Also, your profile has no hardware details. Please fix as per FAQ.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back