Contribute
Register

Guide to Installing Mavericks on HP Probook

i Can't boot to my HDD Installed mavericks , it always show ''Can't Find / Press any key to continue '' Please some help.

10.9.x to 10.9.2

6. If you have a 7-series chipset in your ProBook (eg. 4540s and other models), remove /System/Library/Extensions/GenericUSBXHCI.kext. Note: this assumes you patched your DSDT with the "Intel USB 3.0 patch", which is the recommended configuration for 7-series ProBooks. After removing GenericUSBXHCI.kext, you should rebuild cache (Kext Wizard).

6. Restart your computer.

Hi Just out of curiosity:
How would one figure if they have a 7-series chipset in the probook? It seems that I do not have GenericUSBHCI.KEXT [ /System/library/Extensions/GenericUSBHCI.kext] INITIALLY on OSX 10.9.1, I HAVE NOT INSTALLED OSX 10.9.2 YET!!!
is it suppose to be there? I have a pro book 4540s Corei3 3110 ivy. see image below:

Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 12.42.36.png

what I did was press the key "G" in that directory to find it, so far I have not!

thanx

i Can't boot to my HDD Installed mavericks , it always show ''Can't Find / Press any key to continue '' Please some help.

in diskutil list i see that my Osx boot changed from disk0s2 to disk0s1 how i change that to normal boot chameleon , so i can boot normal from my hdd

Get "Checksum" error after lunching/checking update with the standalone combo update 10.9.2

Question: do I need a internet connection in order to do the update?

You should download it again.

I'm not sure how you download an update without an internet connection, so yes, you need internet to obtain updates from Apple.

Hi Just out of curiosity:
How would one figure if they have a 7-series chipset in the probook? It seems that I do not have GenericUSBHCI.KEXT [ /System/library/Extensions/GenericUSBHCI.kext] INITIALLY on OSX 10.9.1, I HAVE NOT INSTALLED OSX 10.9.2 YET!!!
is it suppose to be there? I have a pro book 4540s Corei3 3110 ivy. see image below:

View attachment 84995

what I did was press the key "G" in that directory to find it, so far I have not!

thanx

All 4540s Probooks have 7-series chipset.

- - - Updated - - -

in diskutil list i see that my Osx boot changed from disk0s2 to disk0s1 how i change that to normal boot chameleon , so i can boot normal from my hdd

Are you following the guide in post #1?

Thanks for the instructions to update 10.9.1 to 10.9.2.

I think step 3 needs more info as it took me a number of attempts to get the sequence right.

3. You will need to boot using your Unibeast USB (eg. F9 at BIOS). Use "-f" to boot the installation on your HDD.

Here's my revised step 3:

You will need to boot using your UniBeast USB
thumb drive. Once the laptop restarts press the F9 key this will bring up a boot menu of all the drives. Select the UniBeast USB thumb drive and press the Return key to continue. The TonyMac boot screen will appear with the UniBeast USB thumb drive icon first and the Mavericks HD icon second usually. Use the right arrow key to select the Mavericks HD icon. Press the Spacebar to open a text field on the bottom of the screen and input "-f". Press the Return key to continue the booting process into your Macintosh HD.

All 4540s Probooks have 7-series chipset.

- - - Updated - - -

Are you following the guide in post #1?

Hi RehabMan,
I am following from your post 1 ====> Updates 10.9.x to 10.9.2 ONLY, as I thought there is no need for the read/do anything from previous paragraphs/steps as I am only updating.

What I did is as the followings:

- Download and run the combo update
- As it restarts boot from the INSTALLER USB, using boot flag -f and choosing Macintosh HDD
- Run the latest PBI 6.1.13 and choosing:
+OSX support kexts > 4x40s support kexts
+Extra tools > Old Kexts Remover (as I thought it serves right)
-Run Kext wizard and repaired permission and rebuilt kexts.
-REBOOT

Funny thing is I have also noticed a new entry/file in my Macintosh HDD Directory, called boot, I just noticed it after this update, it may have been their but never noticed. I COULD BE Wrong ?!
What is it?

Screen Shot 2014-02-27 at 15.02.20.pngScreen Shot 2014-02-27 at 15.03.04.png

Thanx

Hi RehabMan,
I am following from your post 1 ====> Updates 10.9.x to 10.9.2 ONLY, as I thought there is no need for the read/do anything from previous paragraphs/steps as I am only updating.

Read carefully. That response was to 'Lovalova'.

What I did is as the followings:

- Download and run the combo update
- As it restarts boot from the INSTALLER USB, using boot flag -f and choosing Macintosh HDD
- Run the latest PBI 6.1.13 and choosing:
+OSX support kexts > 4x40s support kexts
+Extra tools > Old Kexts Remover (as I thought it serves right)
-Run Kext wizard and repaired permission and rebuilt kexts.
-REBOOT

Funny thing is I have also noticed a new entry/file in my Macintosh HDD Directory, called boot, I just noticed it after this update, it may have been their but never noticed. I COULD BE Wrong ?!
What is it?

View attachment 85015View attachment 85016

Thanx

It was there before. That is stage2 Chameleon bootloader.

Hi RehabMan,

Just reading the post of Janab and i went to my /System/Library/Extensions/ noticed that i dont have AppleUSBXHCI.kext on it, i have upgraded last night without any problem, run PBI then selected OS X Support Kexts. after that i have seen that AppleUSBXHCI has changer to GenericUSBXHCI; i ran again PBI and just selected 'Intel USB 3.0 patch' and reboot. backed up automatically GenericUSBXHCI.kext

i dont know if AppleUSBXHCI.kext was on /System/Library/Extensions/ before, but now its not. Normal ?

Have i did an error by proceeding like this ? Or have to just remove GenericUSBXHCI.kext and dont do it like i did ?

Hi RehabMan,

Just reading the post of Janab and i went to my /System/Library/Extensions/ noticed that i dont have AppleUSBXHCI.kext on it, i have upgraded last night without any problem, run PBI then selected OS X Support Kexts. after that i have seen that AppleUSBXHCI has changer to GenericUSBXHCI; i ran again PBI and just selected 'Intel USB 3.0 patch' and reboot. backed up automatically GenericUSBXHCI.kext

i dont know if AppleUSBXHCI.kext was on /System/Library/Extensions/ before, but now its not. Normal ?

Have i did an error by proceeding like this ? Or have to just remove GenericUSBXHCI.kext and dont do it like i did ?

AppleUSBXHCI.kext is native to OS X. Provided by Apple. If you don't have it, then you must have deleted it.

The ProBook Installer doesn't touch it.

Back