Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

Does that mean I am done? When I press my keys, my brightness still does not adjust.

Did you apply the patch to your DSDT and save in ACPI/patched?

Hi RehabMan,

Sorry for interrupt grangel and RehabMan, I have the problem with the very low brightness level on my Samsung UltraBook 530U3C.

Here what i have done.

- using Clover
- DSDT with some patch for battery and my HD4000 and it work very well.
- Use IntelBacklight.kext with [igpu] Brightness Fix, the brightness slider work properly with Fn key, but the level of brightness very low. (sometime screen glitching)

I have checked the nvram -p and the "intel-backlight-level" parameter seem to correspondent to the slider position, here the value:

Slider minimum (black screen): intel-backlight-level = %00%00%00%00 (i can see it because of using Share Screen remote)
Slider maximum: intel-backlight-level = %00%04%00%00

Not so sure if can help, here from the IOJones.

IOService \ IntelBacklightPanel \ IODisplayParameters \ brightness
min = 0x0
max = 0x400
value = 0x370

RawBrightness = 0x53f (if have patched AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext from 1007000010070000 to 1213000012130000), the RawBrightness value just changed, but still very low brightness.

* I have attached my IOreg if any

I would appreciate if you can guide me to the problem to get the normal brightness level.

Many thanks in advanced.

Attachments

• SamsungUltraBook-530U3C.zip
    194.4 KB · Views: 78
RawBrightness = 0x53f (if have patched AppleIntelFrameBufferCapri.kext from 1007000010070000 to 1213000012130000), the RawBrightness value just changed, but still very low brightness.

No patches needed related to brightness to AppleIntelFramebufferCapri.

Restore to vanilla.

In case of problems, read post #1, "Problem Reporting"

H iRehabMan,

I followed the Problem Report, (DSDT,SSDT from patchmatic, IOreg, EFI and logs from terminal commands)
attached please find the detail from my laptop.

also, my ALC269 still not working (tries some patched but still not work)

Attachments

• ProblemReport-RehabMan-SamsungUltraBook-530U3C.zip
    3.2 MB · Views: 63
Am I supposed to have ACPIBacklight and AppleBacklight at the same time in S/L/E? And whenever I delete one kext and leave the other one (I delete ACPIBacklight.kext and leave AppleBacklight.kext) Then after I rebooted, the battery status had an empty battery with an 'x' in it. But the brightness was working normally. Then, I re apply the battery patch and save it into ACPI/patched. After rebooting, battery worked but brightness is not working. I tried to DropOEM=True, but I got a prohibitory sign when booting. So I unchecked that in the bootloader. I also tried the IGPU Power Management thing. I applied 'Rename GFX0 to IGPU' to DSDT.aml and saved as .aml in ACPI/patched. I tried doing the same to SSDT 0 thru 14. But, when I selected the patch, the apply button was greyed out. And I'm still having trouble w/ brightness keys. :banghead::banghead:

H iRehabMan,

I followed the Problem Report, (DSDT,SSDT from patchmatic, IOreg, EFI and logs from terminal commands)
attached please find the detail from my laptop.

For IntelBacklight.kext you need only "Brightness Fix", not the other more complex patches.

Hopefully the EDID you are injecting from DSDT is extracted from your own laptop...

also, my ALC269 still not working (tries some patched but still not work)

Audio is off-topic. Read the FAQ.

Am I supposed to have ACPIBacklight and AppleBacklight at the same time in S/L/E? And whenever I delete one kext and leave the other one (I delete ACPIBacklight.kext and leave AppleBacklight.kext) Then after I rebooted, the battery status had an empty battery with an 'x' in it. But the brightness was working normally. Then, I re apply the battery patch and save it into ACPI/patched. After rebooting, battery worked but brightness is not working. I tried to DropOEM=True, but I got a prohibitory sign when booting. So I unchecked that in the bootloader. I also tried the IGPU Power Management thing. I applied 'Rename GFX0 to IGPU' to DSDT.aml and saved as .aml in ACPI/patched. I tried doing the same to SSDT 0 thru 14. But, when I selected the patch, the apply button was greyed out. And I'm still having trouble w/ brightness keys. :banghead::banghead:

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting"

For IntelBacklight.kext you need only "Brightness Fix", not the other more complex patches.

Hopefully the EDID you are injecting from DSDT is extracted from your own laptop...

At first, I have problem with black screen (OS X working normally, but black screen, so i need to remote by Share Screen).

For EDID i got it from patch "[igpu] Generic with EDID", but i also have one extract from SwitchResX and it is exactly the same as the patch, so i just leave it from the [igpu] Generic with EDID patch, not so sure it is require or not ?

I will try to start the patch again (minimal patch, battery, HD4000, and Brightness Fix) from the clean DSDT and will let you know.

Many thanks.

Back