Contribute
Register

[Guide] Patching DSDT/SSDT for LAPTOP backlight control

in ioreg, why i cannot see IGPU?i can see GFX0, but i patch on DSDT rename bod3 to hdau | rename gfx0 to igpu.

Read post #1, "Problem Reporting".

I have a Nvidia Quadro M2000M + intel 530 with 4k display. Due to DVMT prealloc limitation I can't go the Intel HD way, so disabled it and get QI/CE work with Nvidia web driver. Now trying to enable backlight control, but it seems the method in this thread is only for Intel HD card, so any chance for me to have a native backlight control?

Another question, maybe related to above. OS sometime can't wakeup after sleep. Power button light does turn on, but display just remain black screen. Any suggest on this issue?

P/S: Also tried the DSDT Backlight fix with IntelBacklight kext, but not worked.

Last edited:
I have a Nvidia Quadro M2000M + intel 530 with 4k display. Due to DVMT prealloc limitation I can't go the Intel HD way, so disabled it and get QI/CE work with Nvidia web driver. Now trying to enable backlight control, but it seems the method in this thread is only for Intel HD card, so any chance for me to have a native backlight control?

Another question, maybe related to above. OS sometime can't wakeup after sleep. Power button light does turn on, but display just remain black screen. Any suggest on this issue?

P/S: Also tried the DSDT Backlight fix with IntelBacklight kext, but not worked.

Off-topic. As per post #1, this guide is only for Intel backlight control.

why on my laptop is not f14/f15 in brightness keys..they are f12 & break|pause and it need to press "fn" ..

Last edited:
why on my laptop is not f14/f15 in brightness keys..they are f12 & break|pause and it need to press "fn" ..

Your actual brightness keys are likely handled via ACPI. Read post #1.

hi rehabman, i patch brightness fix in ssdt-6 and i didnt install intelbacklight.kext or acpibacklight.kext... and my brightness is started working.. just want to ask how is it working without installing those drivers?

hi rehabman, i patch brightness fix in ssdt-6 and i didnt install intelbacklight.kext or acpibacklight.kext... and my brightness is started working.. just want to ask how is it working without installing those drivers?

As per post #1, "Brightness Fix" should be applied to DSDT, not an SSDT.
And yes, you will get some functionality out of only "Brightness Fix", but the range will not be correct (different range before and after sleep), and you will not get smooth transitions.

The recommendation in post #1 is simple:
- apply "Brightness Fix" to DSDT
- install IntelBacklight.kext

As per post #1, "Brightness Fix" should be applied to DSDT, not an SSDT.
And yes, you will get some functionality out of only "Brightness Fix", but the range will not be correct (different range before and after sleep), and you will not get smooth transitions.

The recommendation in post #1 is simple:
- apply "Brightness Fix" to DSDT
- install IntelBacklight.kext
in my ssdt-6 my gfx0 is there and i rename it to igpu.. i patch brightness fix in ssdt-6 cause i read on previous post that you do not have to apply the brightness fix on dsdt unless gfx0 is in ssdt? i have smooth transition now..maybe applebacklight.kext is working?without installing intelbacklight.kext+brighntess fix in dsdt? also,, before and after sleep,restart brightness isn't change on level.. still working fine..

in my ssdt-6 my gfx0 is there and i rename it to igpu.. i patch brightness fix in ssdt-6 cause i read on previous post that you do not have to apply the brightness fix on dsdt unless gfx0 is in ssdt? i have smooth transition now..maybe applebacklight.kext is working?without installing intelbacklight.kext+brighntess fix in dsdt? also,, before and after sleep,restart brightness isn't change on level.. still working fine..

As per guide, "Brightness Fix" is applied to DSDT.
If you have an issue or question, read brightness guide, post #1, "Problem Reporting".

Note: "Brightness Fix" can be applied to an SSDT if you wish. Unlike the patches specifically for ACPIBacklight.kext, it does not matter. Apply it to only one file though.

i am confused..in the first post..your note said "Brightness Fix" can be applied to an ssdt if you wish.

Back