Contribute
Register

Guide: Multibooting UEFI on Separate Drives

So frustrated, guys. I've tried to get a Windows Dual-Boot partition on my computer so many times and I just can't get it working. I have an entirely separate SSD in there to devote to it. I've tried so many different things from different guides and the furthest I can get in the install process is an error message that says "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation." I have a bootable Windows USB, I tried unplugging all nonessential peripherals and even my network card and all other drives, then running, but that didn't help. I've tried formatting the drive to NFTS in advance, nada. I've tried deleting all partitions inside the install, then having it format it. Nothing. I've tried going into the terminal, following diskpart, select disk, clean, convert gpt, then trying that... nope. Any ideas or suggestions? I've looked at specific guides for this error message and they haven't helped a bit.

So frustrated, guys. I've tried to get a Windows Dual-Boot partition on my computer so many times and I just can't get it working. I have an entirely separate SSD in there to devote to it. I've tried so many different things from different guides and the furthest I can get in the install process is an error message that says "Windows could not prepare the computer to boot into the next phase of installation. To install Windows, restart the installation." I have a bootable Windows USB, I tried unplugging all nonessential peripherals and even my network card and all other drives, then running, but that didn't help. I've tried formatting the drive to NFTS in advance, nada. I've tried deleting all partitions inside the install, then having it format it. Nothing. I've tried going into the terminal, following diskpart, select disk, clean, convert gpt, then trying that... nope. Any ideas or suggestions? I've looked at specific guides for this error message and they haven't helped a bit.
It sounds like theres a problem with your SSD. I know the SSD is your ideal, but have you tried any other drives upto now?

Hmm I didn't try another drive this time around, but I've run into similar issues in the past with other drives. I just made a new partition on a different drive to see if that helps the issue. I'll post back in a bit once I've tried.

Nope. Didn't help :(
Ahh right. Have you tried rebuilding the Windows usb installer? Sometimes your install media can become randomly scuffed.

Are you using the creation tool or Rufus?

I tried Boot Camp Assistant and that didn’t work, so I followed a guide online to do it through terminal and at first, that didn’t work either because it said to do FAT32, but the install file was over 4GB, so it didn’t let me, so I formatted as exFAT instead and that seemed to work. I don’t have access to a PC at the moment, so I couldn’t use Rufus. Is there a Mac version of the creation tool?

Just tried four other ways (1. Copy and pasting the files from the Windows ISO into a formatted USB drive, deleting the existing partitions on SSD, then going 2. The same, but doing a clean then convert gpt step, 3. Using unetbootin to create the boot-USB, then following the same steps as 1. 4. Using unetbootin to create the boot-USB, then following the same steps as 2.) and nothing worked. Each time I got to the same step, where it says Copying Files 0%, then hangs, then gives the error message. So frustrating.

Just tried four other ways (1. Copy and pasting the files from the Windows ISO into a formatted USB drive, deleting the existing partitions on SSD, then going 2. The same, but doing a clean then convert gpt step, 3. Using unetbootin to create the boot-USB, then following the same steps as 1. 4. Using unetbootin to create the boot-USB, then following the same steps as 2.) and nothing worked. Each time I got to the same step, where it says Copying Files 0%, then hangs, then gives the error message. So frustrating.
For the SSD follow these steps in diskpart reached by shift+F10 at the choose a partition window of the installer:
list disk
select disk * //(* = whatever your ssd disk number is)
Clean all
convert gpt
create partition primary
active
format fs=ntfs quick
exit
exit

then select this partition for the Win10 installation

Alright, I'll give it a shot and report back. Thanks!

Back