Contribute
Register

[Guide] Mountain Lion Installation for Asus Vivobook S200, X202, S400...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really hate to sound like such a noob, but can we double check the syntax in step 6 please?
6. Skip this if you don't need dual boot with Windows 8- Don't install anything
- Open Terminal app from Utilities
- Type diskutil list and hit enter
- Scroll up and look for Microsoft EFI partition - in my case it's under disk 0 partition 2 -> disk0s2
Just to clarify, this is the 350MB System Reserved partition Win8 creates we're looking for, correct?

- type mount_msdosntfs /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI and hit enter (change "disk0s2" if it's different on your case)

The system reserved partition is NTFS, so I changed the <file system>, and was able to mount it fine.

- type cp -rf /Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft /Volumes/cloverUSB/EFI/Microsoft
"
/Volumes/EFI/EFI/Microsoft" does not exist

I really hate to sound like such a noob, but can we double check the syntax in step 6 please?
6. Skip this if you don't need dual boot with Windows 8- Don't install anything
- Open Terminal app from Utilities
- Type diskutil list and hit enter
- Scroll up and look for Microsoft EFI partition - in my case it's under disk 0 partition 2 -> disk0s2
Just to clarify, this is the 350MB System Reserved partition Win8 creates we're looking for, correct?

- type mount_msdos /dev/disk0s1 /Volumes/EFI and hit enter (change "disk0s2" if it's different on your case)
I'm getting a response "Resource busy"

Umm, it sounds like your Windows 8 is legacy boot instead of UEFI.
Do you have a screen shot of your partitions? How many partitions do you see?
After creating two partitions, you should have 5 partitions total. If you don't see them, it's legacy boot I believe.
Usually, with other BIOSs, they have option to enable/disable UEFI.
I don't see this option for this laptop, but I think "Fast Boot" option is the one for this laptop.
But I am not entirely sure. I couldn't find any infor about this on the web.
Did you disable "Fast Boot" under BIOS and ran Windows 8 installation?
I know there are a lot of trials, but there isn't much support for this laptop out there. So someone needs to try when there are issues that other didn't hit.
I spent two weeks to get OS X working on this laptop and wrote the guide with my memory, my knowledge, and everyone's contributions (thanks). So take it easy on the guide. I gain nothing from this, I am here just trying to help.

PS: English is not my native language. I tried my best on the guide.

Umm, it sounds like your Windows 8 is legacy boot instead of UEFI.
Do you have a screen shot of your partitions? How many partitions do you see?
After creating two partitions, you should have 5 partitions total. If you don't see them, it's legacy boot I believe.

You were absolutely correct about my initial install of Windows 8 not being UEFI. I followed THIS GUIDE to make a UEFI USB installable copy of Windows 8, and everything up to the point of trying to install OSX worked perfectly. THANKS!

My new problem is though, regardless of how I set the partitions up during Windows setup, I haven't had any luck formatting the OSX partition so that I can install MacOS. The attached pics show how I've got the partitions configured in Windows setup, and the error I get in OSX Disk Utility. Thanks for all of your help!
IMG_20130908_205528.jpgIMG_20130908_211415.jpg

I'm currently researching the information in THIS POST, so I'm confidant that I'm moving forward.

You were absolutely correct about my initial install of Windows 8 not being UEFI. I followed THIS GUIDE to make a UEFI USB installable copy of Windows 8, and everything up to the point of trying to install OSX worked perfectly. THANKS!

My new problem is though, regardless of how I set the partitions up during Windows setup, I haven't had any luck formatting the OSX partition so that I can install MacOS. The attached pics show how I've got the partitions configured in Windows setup, and the error I get in OSX Disk Utility. Thanks for all of your help!
View attachment 66701View attachment 66702

I'm currently researching the information in THIS POST, so I'm confidant that I'm moving forward.
Yup, try cnc137's post, I also mentioned his post in the guide.
Manic Harmon1c has similar problem, and this was what he did in this post to solve it. You could try his method.
Also, litan1106 didn't have problem with Windows 8, but litan1106 had similar problem after installed with Windows 8.1 - this post.
I wish I still have the laptop, so I could try to duplicate the issue.

Have you tried this during Windows 8 installation?
Method 1: enable "Fast boot"
- Create the first partition for Windows 8
- Create the second partition for OS X, but don't use all the space left on the drive, you leave some space for a third partition for example, but don't create the third partition.
Method 2: Enable "Fast boot" - create one partition for Windows 8 during Windows 8 installation, then create partition for OS X under OS X Disk Utility. But if I remember correctly, this method didn't work for me.
I remember I also tried Manic Harmon1c's method too, but I ran into some issue later.
Dual boot with UEFI on the same hard drive is a pain sometimes.
For some reason, I didn't run into this issue.

RehabMan has triple and quad boot, maybe he knows what is going on.
@RehabMan do you know why the partition can't be formatted as HFS+ with OS X disk utility after it was created during Windows 8 installation? Some of us have this problem, but others don't.

Nevermind, the link is not useful for UEFI dual booting.

yes the webcam is only thing ! anything else work fine !!

great. i don't do much facetime anyway, or any webchat.
i've lurked around this thread so long, since i haven't done successful back up yet.
once that's done with acronis i'll get my asus s400ca run on osx. :D

by the way, you use the 10.8.2 or 10.8.4?

Elan touchpad 2.8.3 is now available, supposed to improve swipe gestures as well as disable some less commonly used gestures.

@fvl I think I may have figured out our sleep problem... Since we have a patched bios we do not need the Asus power management autopatch, which is enabled by default in Clover's config.plist. disabling it seems to have helped, I haven't had any more problems going to sleep yet.

@manic - did you update your bios version?
just need to confirm before i proceed the bios update. im still using 206 version. tia

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back