Contribute
Register

[Guide] Mountain Lion Installation for Asus Vivobook S200, X202, S400...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I had a copy of Windows 8 Pro Upgrade on DVD that I bought for another PC that I used to install Windows 8 on my ASUS S200E and auto activate. I think you need a real Windows 8 DVD to install, but you don't need a software key, since it will automatically activate.

Yeah the problem is getting a hold of a DVD to install it with. I think my little brother has one.

By the way, I found a few useful apps. I don't know if I'm the only one who can't get any of the function keys to work, but I found some workarounds.
The first one is for assigning keys to adjust volume: http://pth.com/products/pthvolume/
And Brightness slider from the App Store has an option to assign keys to adjust the brightness: https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/brightness-slider/id456624497?mt=12

Is there a way to calibrate the touchpad? I set four finger swipe to switch between spaces and it only works half of the time. I also set three finger swipe up for mission control but it keeps doing application view. Three finger swipe for forward and back is also triggering it sometimes. I think I just need to set a threshold or something.

After I installed Clover via EFI tool, I can no longer boot into Mac. Any tips? Namely, Clover boots from BIOS, but it only gives the option to boot into UEFI or "legacy", no mac. If I plug my USB back in, it will boot into mac verbose mode but then auto-restarts before a full boot..

Any help?

Did you do step 11 correctly? I changed some wordings so it's easier to understand.
With my settings in the config file, you should not be seeing legacy because I hided them unless you changed them or did something wrong or you are not using my version.
If it works from your cloverUSB, it should work from the EFI partiton if you do it correctly.
Basically you are just copying files over, so they are the same.

This is a dumb question, but am I supposed to buy a Windows 8 DVD? I tried to just find a trial download, assuming the computer would automatically activate it, but all I can find is Windows 8.1 Enterprise preview.

You don't need to buy Windows 8 DVD.
You can download it directly from Microsoft.
I actually extracted Windows 8 key from the Asus laptop (google how to do this). And I used a Windows 7 computer to do an upgrade on Microsoft website to download the ISO using the asus key :).
Or read this OP on slickdeals: click here
There's actually a direct link there from some school, but it's no longer work.

I didn't use the new installed Windows 8 though, I only used it to get the EFI boot for Windows 8 since I installed a new drive.
What I did was doing a backup from the stock hard drive for the Windows 8 partition.
Then after I got my new boot EFI, I restored Windows 8 partition to the new partition. That way I don't have to reinstall anything.

I figured out a better solution for the volume and brightness keys. It's called Spark and it's free. I was able to map the keys correctly, it shows the notification opt+when you change it too. I also mapped ctrl+opt+cmd+f12 to shut down without confirmation and ctrl+cmd+f12 to restart without confirmation.

How is sleep working for everyone? Does anyone have sleep working 100% in ML? My laptop works great but I would say sleep works like 80% of the time. The other 20% it tries to sleep but doesn't quite get there and won't wake up any more.

How is sleep working for everyone? Does anyone have sleep working 100% in ML? My laptop works great but I would say sleep works like 80% of the time. The other 20% it tries to sleep but doesn't quite get there and won't wake up any more.

Have you tried the new clover version and don't use sleepenabler.kext?

Can anyone with dual boot try this? This might fix the touch pad issue when restarting from Windows 8.
Copying ApplePS2Controller.kext and ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext into /EFI/CLOVER/kexts/10.8/
Delete ApplePS2Controller.kext and ApplePS2ElanTouchpad.kext under /System/Library/Extensions/
Run Kext Utility app.
Make sure InjectKexts /EFI/CLOVER/config.plist is set to true (or you can hit space and choose boot WithKexts during boot)
Shut down laptop.
Start laptop and boot into Windows 8
Restart Windows 8 (Don't shut down) and boot into OS X.
Is the touch pad working well under OS X?
I think injecting kexts during boot should fix this issue.
Let me know.

Have anyone tried this with the updated clover? I don't have the laptop anymore, so I can't confirm.
If it works, I'll add to the guide.

I figured out a better solution for the volume and brightness keys. It's called Spark and it's free. I was able to map the keys correctly, it shows the notification opt+when you change it too. I also mapped ctrl+opt+cmd+f12 to shut down without confirmation and ctrl+cmd+f12 to restart without confirmation.

No need for an extra program to do that. In the Elan trackpad kext, there is a keyboard kext that lets you edit each buttons function and allows you to change whether or not you need to hold the Fn key or not. I've attached mine, edited to how i like it.

Attachments

• ApplePS2Controller.kext.zip
    67.8 KB · Views: 130
Thanks, I didn't realize you could edit them.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back