Contribute
Register

[Guide] Lenovo Yoga 2 Pro El Capitan using Clover UEFI

Status
Not open for further replies.
thank for for this nice post, I have my LY2P working well. I am using the USB wifi and it is a pain with random hangs and sleep issues.
I thought about modding the bios. I posted on bios mod forum but I am not getting any response from there. Someone from ****** suggested that it is easier to spoof the vendor and product id from linux and fools the lenovo bios.
any suggestions or pointers here?

It depends on which WiFi card you want to install...
Some cards have no tools (that I know of) to rebrand. For example, popular card BCM94352 no tools to rebrand when I looked...
But an AR9280 (AR5BHB92) can be easily rebranded to anything, such that passes the BIOS whitelist.
Then you use FakePCIID to make it work on OS X.

I did this with my u430 until I discovered that an updated BIOS allowed BCM94352HMB... Read about it in my u430 guide: https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/...330-u430-u530-using-clover-uefi-10-11.168614/

Thanx so much for the tutorial cfb44 I have a Lenovo Yoga 2 pro and i will try to do that. Best regards and thanx again

I wanted to update the following with this forum:

I had El Capitan running on one partition on the HDD.
I was able to install the MacOS sierra using the same method as described in this guide on a separate partition.
I Created the install USB, Installed on a new separate partition. (shrunk the windows partition and formatted the new partition as exFAT).
Started the Sierra using already installed Clover setup.
The only change from the post install steps is El-Capitan requires IOKit Patching and Sierra requires CoreDisplay patching. I used the commands from the
[Guide] Dell XPS 13 9343 Sierra guide. Took backup of CoreDisplay before patching.

Started the Sierra with option InjectIntel unchecked to get the display working and ran the commands to patch CoreDisplay.
Everything seems to be working fine.

I did not change anything from EFI/Clover partition. I do not yet have the internal wifi working, I am still using USB wifi, so internal WIFI may need additional steps.

thank for for this nice post, I have my LY2P working well. I am using the USB wifi and it is a pain with random hangs and sleep issues.
I thought about modding the bios. I posted on bios mod forum but I am not getting any response from there. Someone from ****** suggested that it is easier to spoof the vendor and product id from linux and fools the lenovo bios.
any suggestions or pointers here?

it isn't that complicated to do the modding by your own, all the things you need you can find in that bios thread:
basically you use the tool under win 7/8 to get a bios dump, then you use phoenix-tool (under win 10 e.g. no need
to do it under win 7/8) to extract it, then you replace one of the files in the extracted dump with the one in the forum,
and use the very same phoenix tool to repack the bios.
after that you can flash the bios with yet a third tool from intel. only caveat there is: the file to replace was named differently
in my bios extract, but checking the diff showed its the right one.

so, practically this is the post where all of this is described:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thr...cn31ww-Whitelist-Removal?pid=110398#pid110398
the phoenixtools you can get from bios-mods.com in the software section.
the file 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6_1850.ROM is also linked there, but it was called
11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6_1834.ROM (i think, cant remember 100%, just make sure the
file has a size of 8kb, there are three files called 11D3... the other two are just some bytes big)

and this post helps for flashing back:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thr...cn31ww-Whitelist-Removal?pid=109746#pid109746

that should work and i dont think rebranding your wifi is thath much easier (but maybe safer in case you brick something).

Regarding Unlocking the Bios and whitelistening the WiFi-module Ive followed the links posted in Post#1, refer to my post patching below for things Ive learned during the process (Ubuntu 14.04) or I handled different (no Windows 7/8 needed).

Besides, thanks to all contributors!

I had a fine El Capitan on my Y2Pro with everything working as promised, even the sd-card-reader.
In the end ... I've decided to sell my MBPs (13", 15" and 17") and went back to Windows 10 :).

@cfb44 :
Thank you a lot for the guide!

Ive already finished on my Y2P i74510U, BIOS 76CN43WW:

- Advanced Mode, DVMT to 96MB, Bios Protection Disabled
- BIOS Patch (Whitelistening - Couldn't tell if it worked, as my "Broadcom bcm94352z" is still in delivery (at least the ROM from the BIOS matches now the unwhitelistened ROM))

So far:
For Advanced-Mode (BIOS):
- Ubuntu 14.04 LTS works very well. 16.04 not so :)

Writing BIOS by using Windows 10 64x works (the linked guide states otherwise):
- Disable Windows Defender
- FPT_v.9.5.0.1428
- Start Command-Prompt as Admin

Right now I'm preparing for Hackintoshing, unfortunately some links of your initial post dont work anymore,
eg the link to the IO-Kit-Patch.

Are you still using your Y2P-Hackintosh? Is it worth the effort? Any chance that you, please, update your links?

Many thanks in advance!

it isn't that complicated to do the modding by your own, all the things you need you can find in that bios thread:
basically you use the tool under win 7/8 to get a bios dump, then you use phoenix-tool (under win 10 e.g. no need
to do it under win 7/8) to extract it, then you replace one of the files in the extracted dump with the one in the forum,
and use the very same phoenix tool to repack the bios.
after that you can flash the bios with yet a third tool from intel. only caveat there is: the file to replace was named differently
in my bios extract, but checking the diff showed its the right one.

so, practically this is the post where all of this is described:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thr...cn31ww-Whitelist-Removal?pid=110398#pid110398
the phoenixtools you can get from bios-mods.com in the software section.
the file 11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6_1850.ROM is also linked there, but it was called
11D378C2-B472-412F-AD87-1BE4CD8B33A6_1834.ROM (i think, cant remember 100%, just make sure the
file has a size of 8kb, there are three files called 11D3... the other two are just some bytes big)

and this post helps for flashing back:
https://www.bios-mods.com/forum/Thr...cn31ww-Whitelist-Removal?pid=109746#pid109746

that should work and i dont think rebranding your wifi is thath much easier (but maybe safer in case you brick something).

Thanks for that info. I am receiving the wifi card today. I will try this out.

you mentioned about the file name difference. What filename should I keep for the modded file - should I renamed that to match the one from extracted bios?

Also, can I use a windows 7 Live USB for extracting the bios?

Are you certain it doesn't wake from sleep? Did you check if it is just a backlight problem? Try external monitor or remote desktop connection after sleep/wake.
I have the same problem.
Thanks for all your efforts to solve yp2, I have fixed all problems except this: shut the lip, but it can't sleep.

Regarding Unlocking the Bios and whitelistening the WiFi-module Ive followed the links posted in Post#1, refer to my post patching below for things Ive learned during the process (Ubuntu 14.04) or I handled different (no Windows 7/8 needed).

Besides, thanks to all contributors!

I had a fine El Capitan on my Y2Pro with everything working as promised, even the sd-card-reader.
In the end ... I've decided to sell my MBPs (13", 15" and 17") and went back to Windows 10 :).
How to fix the sd-card-reader on the yp2?

I have the same problem.
Thanks for all your efforts to solve yp2, I have fixed all problems except this: shut the lip, but it can't sleep.

Keep in mind sleep is delayed by ~ 15-20 sec.
And all assertions must be clear (check with 'pmset -g assertions').
And lid sleep does not work if you didn't implement backlight control.

Thanks for that info. I am receiving the wifi card today. I will try this out.

you mentioned about the file name difference. What filename should I keep for the modded file - should I renamed that to match the one from extracted bios?

Also, can I use a windows 7 Live USB for extracting the bios?

you should definitely keep the name that is in your bios dump, i.e. if this happens you rename the file from the forum.

i extracted it also via a win7 live usb stick, so the answer is yes.
as written in the bios forum, check that the dump is around 4 mb
and also your repack has roughly the same size
(was it 4mb? i forgot, please see the bios thread)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back