Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Yes.
Provided you kept good notes about patches required, should be easy.

If :) Anyway, I did one from scratch and now it is working. Just wanted to know if there is an easier way.
I installed 10.12.6 on a Dell E7450 and went with the "bootlick" from another site (OSXLa.....)
I know you state in your guide that there is almost no chance of two computers being alike... I simply gave it a try.
It works for the most part. After the brightness patch was reapplied everything is fine except for the keyboard.
If I use (your) VoodooPS2Controller.kext I have all the keys, but no trackpad.
If I use ApplePS2Controller.kext everything works except for one specific key, the one next to the left (short) shift (European keyboard)

If :) Anyway, I did one from scratch and now it is working. Just wanted to know if there is an easier way.
I installed 10.12.6 on a Dell E7450 and went with the "bootlick" from another site (OSXLa.....)
I know you state in your guide that there is almost no chance of two computers being alike... I simply gave it a try.
It works for the most part. After the brightness patch was reapplied everything is fine except for the keyboard.
If I use (your) VoodooPS2Controller.kext I have all the keys, but no trackpad.
If I use ApplePS2Controller.kext everything works except for one specific key, the one next to the left (short) shift (European keyboard)

No idea what a "bootlick" is.
You should not use ACPI files from another computer.
Keyboard mapping is covered in the main brightness guide, linked from the FAQ:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Autocorrect rules :)
Bootlick is what Safari thinks I mean when typing bootpack :-D

If that pack contains patched ACPI files, using them is a bad idea.

If that pack contains patched ACPI files, using them is a bad idea.

Yes, it figures. I will do a fresh install - and a round of patching to boot. Thank you!

Is there a way to change backlight levels/steps? Under Linux I can get my screen much darker, Under MacOS it just gets mid bright then completely turns off (which is insane).

Is there a way to change backlight levels/steps? Under Linux I can get my screen much darker,

Brightness levels are determined by the data in the Info.plist for AppleBacklightInjector.kext.

Under MacOS it just gets mid bright then completely turns off (which is insane).

Turning off at the lowest level is correct behavior.
Same on a real Mac.

You might have something incorrectly configured.
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/faq-read-first-laptop-frequent-questions.164990/

Brightness levels are determined by the data in the Info.plist for AppleBacklightInjector.kext.

You might have something incorrectly configured.
No "Problem Reporting" files attached.
Read FAQ, "Problem Reporting" again. Carefully. Attach all requested files/output.

Thank you. I went ahead and redid the guide, previously I've placed applebacklightinjector.kext in clover/kexts as I'm not a fan of putting anything in S/L/E. and that was the culprit, as placing it in S/L/E gave me full range.
Turning off at the lowest level is correct behavior.
Same on a real Mac.

What's the reasoning behind turning screen off at the lowest, do you know maybe?

I'm attaching problem reporting files, I'd appreciate it if you'd check my system nonetheless.

P.S. There's a typo in one of the commands from "problem reporting" guide :
" ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/*.zml*"
should be *.xml* I'm assuming?

Attachments

• RehabMan.zip
    2.7 MB · Views: 64
Last edited:
I'm attaching problem reporting files, I'd appreciate it if you'd check my system nonetheless.

Brightness control appears to be correct/working.

P.S. There's a typo in one of the commands from "problem reporting" guide :
" ls -l /System/Library/Extensions/AppleHDA.kext/Contents/Resources/*.zml*"
should be *.xml* I'm assuming?

No typo.

Back