Contribute
Register

[Guide] Laptop backlight control using AppleBacklightFixup.kext

Can you help me please, Rehabman?
I decided to not do "GFX0 to IGPU" patch for my DSDT/SSDTs since I always get kernel error when doing that, so I patch it through clover config. I don't see any "GFX0" in my ioreg too, so I guess I successfully patch it with that trick. But I still can't successfully bring back the backlight.

Attachments

• Archive.zip
    5.8 MB · Views: 86
Can you help me please, Rehabman?
I decided to not do "GFX0 to IGPU" patch for my DSDT/SSDTs since I always get kernel error when doing that, so I patch it through clover config. I don't see any "GFX0" in my ioreg too, so I guess I successfully patch it with that trick. But I still can't successfully bring back the backlight.

No backlight due to no PNLF.
No PNLF due to SSDT-PNLF.aml not loading.
SSDT-PNLF.aml is not loading because it is not listed in SortedOrder.

No backlight due to no PNLF.
No PNLF due to SSDT-PNLF.aml not loading.
SSDT-PNLF.aml is not loading because it is not listed in SortedOrder.

So I just need to rename it to SSDT-*.aml then?

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.36.47 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2017-10-23 at 11.36.47 PM.png
    12.5 KB · Views: 107
  • Archive.zip
    552.9 KB · Views: 72
Oops, so I really need to upload the Clover too.

Problem: Your config.plist is missing the required patch for AppleBacklight
Read post #1.

Note, to avoid confusion, SSDT-2.aml should be renamed SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml (add to SortedOrder), SSDT-0.aml should be renamed SSDT.aml, and SSDT-1.aml (which is actually SSDT-14.aml) is not valid (you cannot currently patch a single SSDT).

Note: If you were to build my current Clover from sources and use config.plist/ACPI/AutoMerge=true, then it is valid to patch a single SSDT by placing it in ACPI/patched (would need to be named SSDT-14.aml though). It is a new feature I added that has not been merged into mainline Clover yet.

Problem: Your config.plist is missing the required patch for AppleBacklight
Read post #1.

Note, to avoid confusion, SSDT-2.aml should be renamed SSDT-DiscreteSpoof.aml (add to SortedOrder), SSDT-0.aml should be renamed SSDT.aml, and SSDT-1.aml (which is actually SSDT-14.aml) is not valid (you cannot currently patch a single SSDT).

Note: If you were to build my current Clover from sources and use config.plist/ACPI/AutoMerge=true, then it is valid to patch a single SSDT by placing it in ACPI/patched (would need to be named SSDT-14.aml though). It is a new feature I added that has not been merged into mainline Clover yet.

Bold: But somehow I can disable my discrete GPU through that SSDT though... or is it something else?
Also then I need to copy all SSDT-*.aml to the ACPI/patched to make it works?

Last edited:
Bold: But somehow I can disable my discrete GPU through that SSDT though... or is it something else?
Also then I need to copy all SSDT-*.aml to the ACPI/patched to make it works?

You did not disable the GPU.

But you did manage to spoof the PCI bridge that is connecting your DGPU such that it is not seen as a PCI bridge anymore. That was done because your SSDT-DiscreteSpoof (you named it SSDT-2.am) is wrong. _SB.PCI0.RP01 should have been _SB.PCI0.RP01.PXSX.

The GPU is still active and using power.

Correctly disabling the DGPU is covered here:
https://www.tonymacx86.com/threads/guide-disabling-discrete-graphics-in-dual-gpu-laptops.163772/

Back